Darcstaar

D&D 5e Tyranny of Dragons

188 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, davor said:

Is that mini Caramon?

No, the helmet is more bird-ish than dragon-ish.

This is from Ral Partha's officially licensed AD&D player character sets... Each one came with a male and female version of the same archetype. 11-001 Fighters in this case.

001.jpg

I had also considered Dark Sword Miniatures' not-Caramon for Daton but passed on it due to the neutral pose and greatsword over sword-n-board... Maybe I should get that one too now. XD

v_7524_f1_p.jpg

16 minutes ago, davor said:

I go for what's fun.

I'm pretty flexible in that regard, I suppose.

He was almost a Falchion-wielding Great Weapon Fighter in a Pathfinder game that just never materialized (because Paladins were banned for some reason).

I think I'll do it. Great Weapon Fighting it is.

3 people like this

Actually, I the bard; but you are right about me going Warlock.  Not sure when the best time to do so will be.  I may be the first 4 levels as a bard so I get the first ability increase.

1 person likes this

I'm not exactly sure what mini will be used for Klaus. Which is odd since lately I look at the mini before deciding what kind of character I want to build up. I'm sure I can find a dwarf somewhere.....(sarcasm of course)

2 people like this

Yeah I don't think dwarves with shields and axes are terribly hard to find. :lol:

(now paladins/martials in lighter armor with bird/winged helmets? That's a bit harder. The bird/winged helmet style seems almost exclusively used for either vikings or women warriors)

I'm starting to see Daton now rocking the Great Weapon. With two handaxes strapped to his belt should he be disarmed of his greatsword. Shame I couldn't think of that when the game started but hopefully switching gear can be easy.

2 people like this

So, anyone have ideas for a marching order?  I have one more 1st level spell left (healing word, sleep or faerie fire most likely)

I'm definitely not front line and should be able to support from the middle.

I'll go 1st. Heck I'm short & I can see in the dark + being a walking tin can helps. ::):

Daton'll go first with Klaus. He's got a decent chance of being stealthy and can be effective at range or melee right now.

While we wait for input from others regarding marching order in those tunnels...

I've been curious, what's the rule on damage for critical hits?
Do we multiply our damage dice by two or do we roll double the amount of damage dice?

Roll damage dice twice, but only add modifiers once.

On 2017-03-31 at 3:02 AM, Darcstaar said:

Roll damage dice twice, but only add modifiers once.

Same way I do it then, awesome.

Okay well we've lacked input so does anyone object to this marching order?
Frontline: Klaus & Daton

Middle: Rolen & Deckard

Rear: Tabard

1 person likes this

Fine by me. Let me know when we need scouting. 

Just waiting on Cdorf to give me Talbard's perception and initiative.

Just re-read some things in PHB, and want to solicit everyone's input.

flanking!

The core rules don't have flanking anymore for 5e.  It is an optional rule to grant advantage.  Most people posting on chat rooms consider this optional rule overpowered, and trivializing other means of gaining advantage from feats or class abilities.

I tend to agree, but still think it should amount to some tactical advantage to risk OpAtt or slightly less ideal grid position.  Something as simple as +1 to hit, or +1 damage.

Any thoughts.

In all of my games that I have run for 5E, I haven't used the optional flanking rule.  The main advantage for flanking, is enabling the Rogue's sneak attack ability.

As far as giving a bonus to hit or damage, I don't think that it would unbalance the game as long as the bonus didn't go above +1.  I find the game fine without flanking bonuses, but your game, do what seems best.