Darcstaar

D&D 5e Tyranny of Dragons

193 posts in this topic

If Dilvish plays a Warlock, Rogue might round out the group better. But, if you really wanted to play a wizard, you could pick a background like Urchin or Criminal, and get proficiency with thieves tools.

I've never, ever played a rogue.... maybe today will be my day.

I just made a warlock with thieves tools proficiencies and stealth capabilities. So lock/traps can be covered. Warlocks have limited spells, but a good damage capability with their cantrip.

You could go either as we seem to have some good frontline combatants. In planning on going Pact of the Book and taking a book of shadows, so I could copy rituals from a wizards spellbook.

For Character creation, you can choose Variant Human Traits if you are Human.

You give up +1 on all attributes, and get +1 on two attributes, a bonus skill and bonus feat.

Would it mess with your character idea too much if i go rogue?

Nope. This way we have backup. Plus rouge have some talents that Warlocks can't get. I was going this route because we didn't have anyone covering those skills. Once I know what skills you end up covering I will adjust mine appropriately. I will for sure have Arcana; I will have a +3 Not mod so I can be the knowledgeable guy. My backstory isn't really skill specific so I can fill any gaps.

Speaking of which, do what do we have covered for knowledge skills?

Nope. This way we have backup. Plus rouge have some talents that Warlocks can't get. I was going this route because we didn't have anyone covering those skills. Once I know what skills you end up covering I will adjust mine appropriately.

And just had an idea of going lore bard multiclassing to warlock. Actually is slightly more inline with backstory idea. Will stay out both and see what I end up with. Lore bars will be slightly less effective in combat until Warnock comes online, but will be more effective out of combat and with buffing.

Also, do you want us to use the listed traits, ideals, bonds and flaws or come up with our own?

Alright, I present to you Deckard Dusk-Kissed: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1073004

Deckard was born to a human mother who was attracted the eye of a wandering elven adventurer.  He never knew his father, but he learned music from his mother who was a craftswoman of fine musical instruments.  He soon grew into a handsome lad of 15 years, with a beautiful singing voice.  One night wandering in the woods, he came upon a light in the woods and following, was led into Faerie.   There he was noticed by the Queen of Air and Darkness and soon became one of her favorites.  Soon, the novelty of the young man's music wore off and the Queen used Decard to indulge her....darker passions.  Eventually the Queen lost interest in these pursuits with him as well, finding a new favorite, and he was cast off and ignored by her.
Several fae of the Unseelie court were sympathetic the young man's plight and arranged for him to return to Faerun.  However, time moves strangely in Faerie and while he had only been gone a handful of years, more than a century had passed.  He now roves far and wide, and has just reached Greennest, the place his mother moved to after he disappeared.  He knows that she has long since passed, but he desires to visit her grave and say his goodbyes.
2 people like this

Here's my guy: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1071226

I was worried about the rolls being too high and people thinking I cheated but Deckard's got mine beat.

Not entirely decided on the background but I can't think of anything else that might work for "guy who really just wants to do good in the world". I'm also having trouble picking a second language for him.

Thanks to his high dex I'm thinking of picking Medium Armor Master as a feat at 4th level in order to match the AC of heavy armor, having a better carrying capacity and being more effective at stealth... Do you guys think that's a good idea? I've just got this visual idea for the character of not being dressed head-to-toe in armor and having a level lighter in armor and having his tunic and barer (muscular) arms showing through.

Dilvish, isn't CN not on the list of alignments Daarcstar is permitting?

Edited by BlazingTornado

And to answer your question, Dilvish, for simplicity's sake for me, pick the characteristics from those listed in the PHB for this module.

Here's my guy: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1071226

I was worried about the rolls being too high and people thinking I cheated but Deckard's got mine beat.

Not entirely decided on the background but I can't think of anything else that might work for "guy who really just wants to do good in the world". I'm also having trouble picking a second language for him.

Thanks to his high dex I'm thinking of picking Medium Armor Master as a feat at 4th level in order to match the AC of heavy armor, having a better carrying capacity and being more effective at stealth... Do you guys think that's a good idea? I've just got this visual idea for the character of not being dressed head-to-toe in armor and having a level lighter in armor and having his tunic and barer (muscular) arms showing through.

Dilvish, isn't CN not on the list of alignments Daarcstar is permitting?

Good catch; I missed that somehow.  

As far as your feat at 5th, it depends.  You are basically spending a feat to get a +1 AC and to stealth in armor.  That would allow you to match full plate with the best medium armor (18AC).  Spending you ASI on Strength gets +1 toyour Str ability mod (so +1 to hit, +1 damage and Str checks and saves).  Heavy Armor Master gets you +1 Strength (get the bonuses) and DR 3 vs no magic weapons.  Or you could go with shield master for control or some offensive feat like Great Weapon/Polearm Master.  The only Paladin I played went Great Weapon/Polearm/Sentinel and just went control.  

But if your concept is with medium armor go for it.  I prefer concept over character optimization personally (as long as concept does not equal totally useless).  For instance, I picked all of my spells based upon things that he could have learned during his time in the Courts.  And If I go Warlock (I'm wavering back and forth), then I'll go Archfey rather than Fiend; Fiend has the better combat abilities, but the Archfey fits the backstory better.

Yeah, no CN please.

NG it is then.

My original rolls were 12, 16, 13, 12, 15, 16.  Half elf gives me +2 CHA and +1 to two other stats, so I raised my odd rolls.  Worked well.

Depending on if I decide to go Warlock, I plan on going Archfey patron and draw from my connection with the Queen of Air and Darkness.  I think it will give me some good RP possibilities.

So, since this is going to be my first foray into 5e, we can use The Gathering as sounding board for rules questions and "House Rules."

First entry: sleep spell. No save? Current HP? Seems powerful. I'm curious to see it in action.

Second Entry: Great Weapon Fighting.

There has been controversy about the meaning of "a damage die." I am going to go with the assumption that the spirit of the ability is the base damage of the weapon, not add on dice such as superiority dice.