Darcstaar

D&D 5e Tyranny of Dragons

192 posts in this topic

So, Davor, it looks like Dilvish is Bard thinking of a splash of Warlock.

I don't see slight of hand, so going Rogue for traps is still open.

An arcane caster can use a quarterstaff as an "arcane focus, staff."

Bard? Hmm we have fighter, paladin, cleric, bard? How is bard for offensive magic?

Some offensive magic.  Vicious Mockery does a small amount of psychic damage and gives them disadvantage on attacks for a round.  When I go Warlock that will get me Eldrich Blast which helps.  If you don't want to go rogue, let me know and I pick up the thieves tools prof.

Oooh yes... sorry i forgot about bard into warlock...my bad.... rogue it is.

So, since this is going to be my first foray into 5e, we can use The Gathering as sounding board for rules questions and "House Rules."

First entry: sleep spell. No save? Current HP? Seems powerful. I'm curious to see it in action.

Second Entry: Great Weapon Fighting.

There has been controversy about the meaning of "a damage die." I am going to go with the assumption that the spirit of the ability is the base damage of the weapon, not add on dice such as superiority dice.

Sleep isn't really powerful, just different. You roll dice and use that amount to determine what falls asleep based on the creatures' current HP, starting with the lowest health and moving up until the amount runs out.

As for GWF, I've never seen it argued that the damage dice reroll applied to superiority dice. It's meant for the weapon's damage dice.

Here's my guy: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1071226

I was worried about the rolls being too high and people thinking I cheated but Deckard's got mine beat.

Not entirely decided on the background but I can't think of anything else that might work for "guy who really just wants to do good in the world". I'm also having trouble picking a second language for him.

Thanks to his high dex I'm thinking of picking Medium Armor Master as a feat at 4th level in order to match the AC of heavy armor, having a better carrying capacity and being more effective at stealth... Do you guys think that's a good idea? I've just got this visual idea for the character of not being dressed head-to-toe in armor and having a level lighter in armor and having his tunic and barer (muscular) arms showing through.

Dilvish, isn't CN not on the list of alignments Daarcstar is permitting?

Good catch; I missed that somehow.  

As far as your feat at 5th, it depends.  You are basically spending a feat to get a +1 AC and to stealth in armor.  That would allow you to match full plate with the best medium armor (18AC).  Spending you ASI on Strength gets +1 toyour Str ability mod (so +1 to hit, +1 damage and Str checks and saves).  Heavy Armor Master gets you +1 Strength (get the bonuses) and DR 3 vs no magic weapons.  Or you could go with shield master for control or some offensive feat like Great Weapon/Polearm Master.  The only Paladin I played went Great Weapon/Polearm/Sentinel and just went control.  

But if your concept is with medium armor go for it.  I prefer concept over character optimization personally (as long as concept does not equal totally useless).  For instance, I picked all of my spells based upon things that he could have learned during his time in the Courts.  And If I go Warlock (I'm wavering back and forth), then I'll go Archfey rather than Fiend; Fiend has the better combat abilities, but the Archfey fits the backstory better.

Yeah, no CN please.

NG it is then.

My original rolls were 12, 16, 13, 12, 15, 16.  Half elf gives me +2 CHA and +1 to two other stats, so I raised my odd rolls.  Worked well.

Depending on if I decide to go Warlock, I plan on going Archfey patron and draw from my connection with the Queen of Air and Darkness.  I think it will give me some good RP possibilities.

Well I was going to go shield and sword for how he fights...

As for medium armor and its mastery, I'm angling for the benefits of a greater carrying capacity as well as the lack of stealth disadvantage, so I can be of use in scouting and ambushes. Plus that way if there's magic medium armor (or just medium armor loot) it can be of use, and it frees up any heavy armor loot for our cleric.

I'm also open to changing him to a Battle Master if you guys think that'll benefit the party better.

Here is my 1/2 finished rogue, http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1074828I'm sorry I didn't finish, it's bed time, but I'm going to polish up the backstory tomorrow while I'm at work trying to find something to keep me busy. 

I would appreciate if someone would have a quick look at Rolen, to make sure that I've got him down correctly.  It's been a year and a half or more since i've made a 5e character.

Looks good so far. I don't have my book with me at work but I see you wrote down Thieves Tools prof. x2. You get it twice; once from Rogue and once from Charlatan. Per the background section if you get a skill/tool in you background that you already have (from your class/race), you can chose another skill/tool to replace it. So it looks like you could have another tool proficiency if I am remembering right.

You should have a total of 7 skill proficiencies: 4 from Rogue, 2 from Charlatan and one from being Human (you took the Variant Human based on the feat). I see Stealth x2 so that's the missing one. As with the Thieves tool, per the book (pg 126, you can chose any skill as a replacement.

Your Initiative should be equal to your Dex modifier. I think Passive Perception is 10+ your Perception skill.

1 person likes this

I think the x2 might refer to the rogue's double proficiency (expertise)... Though that should only double the proficiency bonus, not the whole modifier.

I just realized my character still lacks an artisan's tools proficiency.... Hm.

1 person likes this

If I can get a consistent net connection, I'll post up my character later today. 

Blazing tornado, you are correct. X2 was to show the expertise... i thought it was the full skill x2 thank you for catching that. And passive perception, thank you dilvish i forgot it was 10+wis modifier..

Edited by davor

Yeah and i totally forgot the skill point from human alternate feat...

1 person likes this

Klaus Ironwall, mtn dwarf fighter!!

I'll have his history up tomorrow. Just glad I've had a decent net connection. Been a bit flaky the last couple days.

2 people like this

Talbard Griffinbrand, Human Cleric of Tyr

Talbard grew up in a small village near Greenest.  He apprenticed with the local blacksmith, but due to his size and strength, he found himself joining the city watch.  The citizens liked him due to his fair and honest attitude.  Through the years he served the town wisely.  A few years ago a group of knights under the leadership of a nearby lord attacked the city and demanded taxes be paid to the lord.  Talbard stood up to the knights but was badly injured.  As he lay bleeding and near death, he vowed his service to the God Tyr he allowed him to live.  The God granted him life in exchange for his service.  With his new found abilities he chased the knights out of the village towards Greenest.  He caught up to them on the road and ambushed them.  Two escaped.  While his sure one has returned to the lord, he has tracked the other to Greenest.  He has spent the last two years living in Greenest trying to track down a clue as to where the knight may have gone.

Talbard has a short muscular frame.  He keeps his head shaved and has grown a large white beard.  His chainmail armor and warhammer have both seen better days. 

1 person likes this

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1074828    ( I switched my Int for wis and investigate skill for perception ) 

Rolen Lackman is a Greenest townsperson, His mother is a barsmaid at one of the inns in Greenest. His father is a blacksmiths assistant  in town.  His family was quite poor in town while he was growing up.  When he was 16 he took up with Asham, a halfling that was skilled at locksmithing.  Asham eventually took Rolen as an apprentice and took Rolen to work in Waterdeep.  While in waterdeep, Rolen Learned a lot with locksmithing, dealing with certain guilds and bullies from town.  

About 2 years ago, Asham went missing one night doing a job in the merchants district. Shortly after, associates of Asham's came looking for Rolen to take on Asham's  responsibilities in town. Rolen declined and left Waterdeep in the middle of the night to return to the small town of Greenest.  Since returning he's kept pretty quiet helping out famlies and small farms in the outlying area.