198 posts in this topic

The Dragon's Demand

A Pathfinder adventure covering levels 1st to 7th level

Author • Mike Shel

Publisher • Erik Mona

Paizo CEO • Lisa Stevens

Welcome to Belhaim!!!

(The Wise Piper Inn is #4 on the map)

The party began this trip in the city of Yanmass. A river town in the NE corner of Taldor. The party's employer was a man named Silas Gribb, a sleazy merchant but willing to pay the party 100 gold per person (thou after the goods were delivered) to help guard some barges hauling crates of questionable content. down the Verduran Fork to city of Cassomir. Upon arriving at Belhaim, the merchant was arrested for hualing contraband & he was hauled off by the sheriff & his most skilled deputies along with the cargo to Cassomir. They left about an hour or two after being arrested. After a short meeting with the authorities, the party proves itself innocent  from the charges but are now pretty much homeless as adventurers go. A innkeeper by the name of Talia Orem, the young proprietor of the Wise Piper Inn takes pity on the party & allows you to stay at her inn for a few days. This allows the party to gets its bearings & to plan out their next move.

There isn't much to go on thou, as Belhaim is as sleepy of a sleepy town goes. It's still evening of the day of the arrest & the party has assembled in the common room at Wise Piper Inn. Tonight's meal consists of bread with cheese & some honey. Watered down mead has also been provided. Feel free to talk amongst each other. There are a few other townsfolk, mostly farmers at the inn tonight as well.
1 person likes this

Mal has been in a foul mood since learning of his employer's illegal dealings. How could he have been so stupid as to trust the swindler. Now he has to rely on charity of a stranger for a roof over his head tonight. He would make it up to her.

No job, no coin, watered down mead and no meat for dinner.

To try to improve his mood, he decides to try to earn money or drinks arm wrestling the locals for a bit of fun, while chatting with his fellow unfortunate ex-guards.

Not wishing to be beholden to charity, Bregan  would be working at the smithy during the day and using any coin he makes to pay the innkeep for the room and board as it were. He would also offer to hunt game so we have some meat to eat.

Aear* kicked back in his chair and swirled his mead in its tankard.  He wasn't broke, but missing out on the gold for the job did prevent him from replenishing his ammo.  A few more shots and things could start to get worrisome.  He paused his swirling for a moment to take a drink and turned to Mal.

"Any idea how frequently traders pass through the area?  If there's no hope of signing on with anyone in the near future we may as well move on."

*long names tend to get shortened into nicknames.  I made one up before someone else could.  ::P:

"Sadly, no, though I get the impression this area is a bit of a backwater. I'm not hopeful. I don't look forward to foraging my way to the next big city to find more work."

Mal motions to Aear silently asking if he wants to pass time arm wrestling.

Tark views the charity of the innkeeper as fate and therefore accepts the charity as his god showing him her favor. He looks up from his food and glances about the room.  Every now and then he stops and writes down an observation.  Upon hearing the conversation of his companions he asks, " I know I have not traveled among your people for long, but it seems like traders are an untrustworthy lot.  Maybe we should look elsewhere for work?  Backwater is an interesting expression what does it mean?"

Xoltan sits at a table near Aear and Mal going over his maps. "We may need to buy or charter a boat to Cassomir to better our chances for work." Hearing Tark's comments, " There are some trustworthy Traders, but as with everyone, there are those who can not be trusted. Backwater means 'out of the way'."

1 person likes this

Tark nods understanding. 

"Thank you.  I am still struggling to master the all of the unique phrases that exist in the common tongue.  Orc is a much simpler language." 

Tark glances at Xoltan's maps out of curiosity.

Aear raised an eyebrow at Mal's gesture. 

"Seriously?  With those arms we'd have to track down a giant to give you a fair fight.  You might have better luck with the blacksmith."

He looks over at Xoltan.  "A boat would be better than walking, if it comes to it."

The party is well into it's discussions when suddenly it feels like the inn has been hit by thunder!!!  The walls shake & items on tables & the walls fall to the floor.

Feel free to make Perception checks.......

The patrons inside are all in a state of panic & shock.

1 person likes this

Mal is too caught up in his brooding to notice much.

Perception 3+6=9

The shaking of the inn causes Tark to spill his mead upon himself and he fails to notice anything going on as he wrings the mead from his vestments.

1+3=4

{D20 roll 4 plus Perception MOD +1 = 5, Is that right??}

1 person likes this

12+7=19. Bregan pulls his pipe out of his mouth, stops writing in his journal and cocks his head to the side.

[Perception 4+6=10.  I tend to refrain from writing too much in the way of a character response until I know if it's pass/fail and the degrees thereof.]