So if there are any of you folks out there that played FoW, and don't follow that forum, Battlefront has announced that the new 4th Ed rule set is coming out this year.

and as before, they are giving away FREE rule books to those that already play the game.

Free Version Four Rulebooks?

With every new edition of the Flames Of War rules, we have given away free copies to all existing players to say thanks for being a player and welcome to the new version. When we went from version 2 to version 3 we gave away 26 tonnes of books â€“ that’s the same weight as a T-34 tank! You might even say that we are Fearless Veterans when it comes to this process.

This time around it is no different, except that you will be getting TWO books, not one.

The first one is a full-sized set of rules, an 112-page, A4-sized book, formatted for existing Early-war and Late-war players. The game rules are identical to the hardback version, only instead of referring to the Unit Cards that we will be using in Mid-war, they refer to the current book range, allowing all existing books to still be used for those two periods.

take a look at their site for more details....

So even if you are currently not playing, as I am not, make sure to visit your FLGS anyway for an updated rules set...

'Cause you never know if you might start playing again!

SGT George

That sounds like...a lot of free books.  :unsure: Is the company doing well enough that it can afford such a big loss leader?

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

It's one of the ways that they are different from a certain other miniature games company....

They have been expanding their lines since they started out, and while they have hiccups here and there, they are a great company.....

They Have Reaper Level Customer Service....

Back when I was actively playing their games, I would have said that Reaper has Battlefront Level Customer Service......

While their customer service is true, their model quality is a bit to be desired (though I haven't tried their plastics yet)...

Damon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By knarthex
      The project that my friend asked me to paint in January 2016 is now done!
      (I actually started the week after Reapercon 2016....)
      WiP

Pics of the Full Force (Less the 2 Cobras, that I forgot to include!)

They are sitting on a special tray that my friend gave me for my birthday at Historicon, 2013. He has one just like it....
      (The patch is one that I actually wore as a tanker in Germany from May 1984 to may 1986....)

Situation: August 1st, 1985
      "We interrupt this program for a special announcement. Unconfirmed reports from Brussels, headquarters of NATO, state that the NATO nations have ordered their armed forces to mobilize and commence deployment to their wartime positions."

2 days prior, we see the small German hamlet of Sinntal, all is very quiet on the pre dawn of a Wednesday morning...
      Nothing seems out of place....

(This is a 6' by 4' terrain table that I set up to take pics for this show off. These are all piece from my WW II collection, as I have not purchased any of the new 'modern' buildings....)

0400 hrs 4 August 1985
      Task Force 'Meatball' C Co, 1-33 Armor, 3rd US 'Spearhead' Armored Division, Captain Calvin 'Meatball' Albondega, commanding, has occupied it's wartime deployment fighting positions....

The HQ Platoon, consisting of C66 and C65, has co located with 2nd platoon, C Company, 1-48th Infantry. This platoon was exchanged for C co 2nd plt, in the normal Army doctrine of combined arms.

1st plt has deployed to the left, 3rd plt to the right.

(The company was finishing up transition training from the M60A3 tank to the new M1 Abrams tank at Grafenwoehr / Hohenfels training areas, where 1st platoon was the only platoon to have the chance to finish painting their tanks from the base color that they came from the factory in...)

The Battalion mortar platoon has occupied its position in the rear are of the task force. With it's M577 Fire Direction Center. The objective at the back of the church.

With a forward observer in the bell tower of the town church, his M113 waits at the base of the tower for when they need to displace...

A plt of PIVAD air defense 'tracks' happens to be in the are, swapping 'pogey bait' and parts (Pogey bait is food the troops buy and bring to the field on their own nickel. Poptarts were always a good seller!)
      (The 4 Gatling gun equipped 'tracks behind the the 3 platoons)

A pair of Cobra Tank killer tank hunters is also transiting the area when the hammer falls....

Some pics of what the Soviet Forces would see....
      (wish the door mat that the fields  are made from had settled down....)

(I placed the camera on the table to give a 'mini's eye view')

And here they are all packed up for shipment to Charlotte, NC to my friend....

Thanks to all those folks that followed along in the wip to give encouragement!
      TC Complete!
    • By knarthex
      Bravo 66, This is Bravo 36, SITREP, over

This is Bravo 66, Send it

This is Bravo 36 Have occupied forward positions in the outskirts of Gelnhausen, Negative enemy contact, over

This is Bravo 66, continue to observe, Be aware that friendly Snakes will be passing through the area, over

This is Bravo 36, Wilco, out

So some wolf asked that I take some pics of the M1 Abrahms tanks and other Flames of War models I am painting for a friend...
      I set up a small bit of terrain, about 2' by 3'
      And placed the models in it...

Company HQ section and M577 Command post objective:

2nd platoon:

Snakes, ie Huey Cobras

The buildings are from Sentinal Miniatures, and come apart so as to be able to put infantry inside.
      The trees are from Woodland Scenics, The Green Mat from GW
      I can't remember the company the roads come from...
      The green fel represents the actual area that is 'woods' for game purposes. the trees are moved when models need to move through the space.

Everything else terrain -wise is scratch built.

Thanks for Looking!
      SGT George

WiP Here
    • By knarthex
      So now that ReaperCon 2016 is over , my painting desk is clear of pretty much everything, as for the last few months, everything was directed towards that...

So I am taking on a project for a good friend, who recently had his first child, and no longer has much time for anything....

We play a game called Flames of War, which is 15mm WWII, and the company that released it, Battlefront,  has come out with a new variation called Team Yankee, The title comes from a novel by Harold Coyle about an American Tank team in Germany during World War III circa 1985...

Your humble Drow is taking this on as a labor of love, because if the events in the book would have been true, He would have been one of those tank crewmen involved in the  fighting.....

So I am painting his force as C company, 1st Battalion, 33rd Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Division....

I served in B Co and Headquarters cos while there, so that is what I will eventually do my troops as....

Anyway the kits are all plastic, just like the 1/35th scale models i used to build back when...

The sprues:

That builds 1 M1 Abrams Tank, depending on what version you wish to build, there are different parts....

He also shipped me the US paint set, and 2 cans of the base coat / primer for the US Forces...

(Aren't the bullet bottles cute? they are only 12ml though.....)
      Battlefront originally had Vallejo doing their paints, and now I believe it is Army Painter...

So I assembled the hull and turret of one last night to use as my test bed, spraying overall with the Yankee Green spray, and painting the track pads and rubber of the road wheels with Vallejo Black Grey...

So tonight I am going to read up a bit on what BF thinks is appropriate colors, then mask the tracks and break out the airbrush for some 3 color camo, US Army style, 1985....

Thanks for looking!
    • By knarthex
      Hey folks!

People have been talking in different threads about Static Grass and Flock, and that they are either afraid to use them, or worried that when they are done, it wont look right.
      I am no expert, but I have based quite a few figures for Tabletop war-games such as Flames of War.
      I am one of those people who absolutely HATES to put unfinished figures on the Tabletop. In fact, I don't even bring unfinished figures to games, unless it is something like an escalation league...

So here we go!

First, What is this Stuff?
      Static Grass is some kind of fiber that holds static electricity to  help it 'stand up' when applied to a base with some type of glue. It comes in many lengths, colors and blends from many different companies.
      Flock, or Flocking is some sort of foam, as far as I can tell. It is designed to mimic low vegetation and earth. It also comes in many grades, from fine to coarse, many different colors, from many different companies.
      Grass Tufts, or Tufts are basically pre-made clumps of Static Grass of different Colors and heights, often mixed together, and glued down in places where a bit of grass is needed, not a whole field or lawn. They come on sheets of plastic that you peel them off. Again many colors, heights, and companies.

Some examples:
      Static Grasses

This is Wild Grass, Light Beige, and is a taller (5mm vs 2mm) static Grass

Harvest Gold Static Grass. 2mm

This is the first type of Static Grass I ever used. It was originally packaged for Military Modelers.

Farm Pasture Blend. This is a mix of Static Grass, Flock, and tiny pieces of Cork.

This is called Meadow Blend, and is also Static Grass and Flock mixed. It has little bits of RED turf in it. They look like little flowers from Tabletop distance.

This stuff is called 'Dead Fall Debris' and had quite a bit of stuff that was way to big for our purposes. I sifted out the big stuff, and put the smaller stuff in an old Parmesan Cheese shaker.

Not sure if this is a blend of my own or a professional product..
      Edit-->This is a mix of the long and short Beige Grasses, with the meadow blend. There being little tall Beige (less than an 1/8th), maybe a 1/4 of the blend is the short Beige Grass, the rest being the Meadow blend.

This definitely my own Blend. It is called 'Tree Mix' because it is what I use when basing all the different trees for the tabletop games.
      Turfs:

Tufts:

These are 6 different colors and heights of Grass Tufts.

This is a sampling from things that I have at hand, There are so many different types of this stuff that it would take it's own server to show all of it.
      That said, there are a couple of good model railroad supply companies with websites where you can see the variety of products.

OK, you say what good is all this stuff?
      Well, I'll show you a few different uses for it.
      As I mentioned above, I play a Tabletop Miniature war-game called Flames of War. It is a Company level game in 15mm scale. The force levels are similar to what you would find in 40k.
      The biggest difference is that for infantry, you will normally have 3-5 figures per base, as opposed to one per base.
      (Think Froggy's Meerkat Army)

Some examples:

These 1st 2 are both US .30 caliber Machine gun teams. In fact 2 of the 3 figures on each base are the same.
      But notice the differences in the colors and amount of vegetation on each base. The 1st base is for my 3rd Armored Division troops fighting in Normandy and other parts of France after D Day. The 2nd base is for my 3rd Infantry Division troops fighting in Italy in 1943-44.
      Notice the green of France's hedgerow country versus the stony hillsides of Italy.
      People have used different flocks and such on bases to identify different platoons in the same company. More than one person actually used different colors of flock/turf/tuft Flowers to do this!

This base is for my German Panzer Lehr force, also fighting in Normandy. It isn't the same as the #rd Armored base, but the mix of colors is the same.

This is a Machine Gun Nest that I tried to make usable in either locale.
      These are some other pieces with bases and vehicles:

This is my Beer Truck objective. (2nd place, Flames of War Objective, Historicon 2013)

And an over-sized objective from 'Death Traps', a book about the 3rd Armored Division in France during WWII.

So you can see that using these materials can change the look of your figures tremendously.

Next installment will be some actual work in progress stuff.
      You can look at my DDS 2 thread if you are impatient. There are pics of me applying flock to the terrain pieces.

Oh yeah, anyone out there ever see a movie called 'Kelly's Heroes'?

Here is Oddball and his tank!

Comments Welcome!
      Questions Too!

8)
      George
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)