Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

188 posts in this topic

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Part I of the Tyranny of Dragons Campaign

A Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Campaign

by Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter

Published by Wizards of the Coast, and Kobold Press

Copyright 2014

For the past several days, you have been traveling a road that winds lazily across the rolling grasslands of the Greenfields.  You decided to push on in your travels to try to reach town before dusk.  Sundown is approaching when you top a rise and see the town of Greenest just a few short miles away.  But instead of the pleasant, welcoming town you expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings, running figures that are little more than dots at this distance, and a dark winged shape wheeling low over the keep that rises above the center of the town.  Greenest is being attacked by a dragon!

Suddenly, a terrified human family consisting of a mother, father, and three young children erupt from the undergrowth onto the Greenway, about 20 feet in front of you.  The man limps badly, carrying his youngest child, and trying to usher his other children away from danger.  All five seem at least minimally wounded in some way.  Their mother turns, and lowers the point of a broken spear back toward her pursuers, and readies her round shield.  She looks determined to slow down her pursuers as much as possible to give her family a chance to survive. 

Just then, a group of eight kobolds stream out of the underbrush, fanning out to surround the woman.  Either they don't see your group, or they think you are on their side, because they don't seem to pay you any mind.

What do you want to do?

OOC: Well... I want to prevent loss of life here. Does Daton have time to place himself between the Kobolds and the fleeing family? And hope either his allies will join him or convince the kobolds to depart or even bluff them somehow.

Deckard approaches the kobolds, his rapier rasping free from it's sheath.  Stopping 15ft away, he hisses in Draconic, insulting the size of their birth clutch while infusing his words with power (Vicious Mockery: Will save DC 14 or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on it's next attack roll before the end of it's turn.)

Alright, then, everyone roll initiative.

Init: 23 (I hope I'm not wasting my good rolls on init)

16+4=20 I'd draw my bow, take aim at the kobald nearest the children. "Shoo you stinky skink!"

(2 extra Rolls 11+15)

Daton bravely rushes forward to interpose himself between the mother and the kobolds, just as Deckard strums a dissonant tune on his lute while berating a kobold in their native tongue.

(Wisdom save 12-2=10 roll damage for vicious mockery). Deckard then shoulders the lute and draws his rapier as he closes to 15 feet.

Rolen nocks an arrow, seeming to beg a kobold to make a wrong move.

(Initiative Roll 8 +0 = 8)  Talbard will move forward with his warhammer and shield ready for action and to help shield the family as well.

Damage: 3pts (fyi VM only has a verbal component)

Ok, thanks for reminding me.

Upon seeing the dragon, Klaus will arm himself with his shield & will grip his axe. Knowing that he wouldn't stand a chance vs the beast he still feels like he can at least give the family a chance to escape. When the kobolds appear he erupts into a roar,  & will charge at them. His slow feet thou betray him. (Init: 9)

1 person likes this

Deckard 23

Rolen 20

Daton 13

Klaus 9

Talbard 8

Kobolds 3

Imagine the kobolds are in a semicircle focused on the mother. The closest is 10 feet away, the farthest is 35 feet away. They are all next to each other, and all are 10 to 20 feet away from the mother.

So, Deckard has gone with Vicious Mockery.  That Kobold is still alive. We'll call him Kobold 1.

Rolen, if you'd like, you may fire at a Kobold.

Then Daton is going to rush in to protect the Family.

If there is a kobald within 5 feet of one of my allies and the children are safe, I'll aim at one near the ally for the sneak attack. If not, I'll aim at the one closest to the family.

10+6=16

1+4=5 (sneak attack 4) =9

"Hey wanna be lizardmen, go pick on someone your own size, like a pixie!"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pineapple
      I've mentioned here and there on here that I take part in an Aztec-themed D&D game.  The DM is an archaeologist who specializes in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, so the campaign has a really fun mixture of Aztec lore and standard D&D fare.

My character is an Oath of the Ancients paladin, which we've flavored as an Aztec Jaguar Warrior who worships Xochipilli.

Anyway, long story short, Aztec warriors often used a macuahuitl or maquahuitl in battle - a wooden baton edged with obsidian blades that acted a lot like a long sword.  Some accounts even said they could decapitate a horse.  When I found this cute jaguar hat (OK, OK, leopard, close enough...) on Amazon for a measly $4 shipped, I decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do a cheap low-key cosplay for laughs.  Below are the work in progress pics of me hacking up and painting a dollar store foam saber with some cheap craft store acrylics to make a macuahuitl to go with my "jaguar pelt".

Standard issue dollar store toy sword.

Obsidian blades roughly marked out with a sharpie.

Spaces between the blades cut away with a box cutter.

I decided to go over the whole thing with a coat of white glue to fill in some of the pores and smooth some of the particularly rough areas where the foam got chewed up by the box cutter.  In a perfect world I'd have given myself more time to work on this and used a foam cutter, but I didn't have the luxury of the former and I don't own the latter.

Mostly there on a base coat of light brown with the help of a certain five-year-old daughter.  It would end up taking about 3 coats.

Obsidian blades done with gloss black. The handle still needs another coat or two, and I planned to wrap it in rough cotton yarn, but I couldn't find it.  It's around here somewhere...

I should be able to finish it up tomorrow morning before our D&D session.
    • By haldir

Sunless Citadel (from Tales of the Yawning Portal)
      a Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition play by post
      Author: Bruce Cordell

Oakhurst,

Kythorn (June) 13th (a week before the Summer Solstice) in the year of 1493 CR

The town of Oakhurst lies about 3 hexes (whatever the scale is) NW of the ruins of Thundertree. The area surrounding the small town of only 900 people consists of dusty plains & very little vegetation. There are some tiny trees, sapling mainly here & there but nothing noteworthy. There are a range of hills to the north. These eventually turn into mountains & the most noteworthy peak, Mt Hotenow sits in the middle of them. Also near the town is a great forest that extends to the south & the north, the mysterious Neverwinter Wood. The party, begin it's journey is the city of Neverwinter. A small parchment tacked to a bulletin board saying

"Adventures Wanted! Please inquiry at Ol Boar Inn in Oakhurst"

You have traveled the New Road to get to the small town. You are at the outskirts of the town, where the road splits into two roads, You have arrived around noon, the heat of late spring season starting to rise. The buildings are in decent shape, most noteworthy is the Mayor's building & the General Store being the best kept of the town. You recognize the Ol Boar Inn, by the large, hanging wooden sign with a stylized boar on it:

The townsfolk eye you but don't give you any troubles. You see the town consists mostly of humans, with a smattering of the other common races of the Realms. One catches your eye, a female gnome wearing a bright color robe with a pendent around her neck:

She  is at what appears to be a small temple. She sees you & offers a greeting

"Welcome to Oakhurst. May Lathander's morning light shine upon you all in the morning." 
    • By James-
      So last week I posted my Warlock and Raven and mentioned they were my seventh mini to paint. So I figured since I have pictures of the first six I'll post those as I have time too :) 

I picked this guy as my first mini to paint since he was bigger and more simple and seemed like an easy one to start with. I will add though that I'm the type of crazy person that probably watched over 20 hours of YouTube tutorials before I even picked up a brush. Super receptive to any criticism as I would like to know what to improve! 

• By haldir

As I wanna get more experience DMing 5e before ReaperCon this year & flipping through Tales of the Yawning Portal, I thought I'd see if there was any interest in running a Sunless Citadel 5e game here. I loved the adventure in 3.5, it was actually one of the last sitdown @ home games I ran before my friends/gamers all scattered across the state/area.

Let me know here if you are interested.
      Basic 5e rules:  http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Basic/PH 5e rules with the options to play the UA ranger or PH ranger & UA artficer. Races can come from the following: PH, Elemental Evil Player's Guide (minus the aracockra & with this being a dungeon crawl, a goliath might not be the best choice either. Sword Coast & Volo's 5e (thou this one needs DM's approval before proceeding.)

I will probably set this in the Forgotten Realms as well.

Other then that standard character generation. Looking for 5 players.

I'd like to start around May 1st.
      thanks!
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)