Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

206 posts in this topic

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Part I of the Tyranny of Dragons Campaign

A Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Campaign

by Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter

Published by Wizards of the Coast, and Kobold Press

Copyright 2014

For the past several days, you have been traveling a road that winds lazily across the rolling grasslands of the Greenfields.  You decided to push on in your travels to try to reach town before dusk.  Sundown is approaching when you top a rise and see the town of Greenest just a few short miles away.  But instead of the pleasant, welcoming town you expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings, running figures that are little more than dots at this distance, and a dark winged shape wheeling low over the keep that rises above the center of the town.  Greenest is being attacked by a dragon!

Suddenly, a terrified human family consisting of a mother, father, and three young children erupt from the undergrowth onto the Greenway, about 20 feet in front of you.  The man limps badly, carrying his youngest child, and trying to usher his other children away from danger.  All five seem at least minimally wounded in some way.  Their mother turns, and lowers the point of a broken spear back toward her pursuers, and readies her round shield.  She looks determined to slow down her pursuers as much as possible to give her family a chance to survive. 

Just then, a group of eight kobolds stream out of the underbrush, fanning out to surround the woman.  Either they don't see your group, or they think you are on their side, because they don't seem to pay you any mind.

What do you want to do?

OOC: Well... I want to prevent loss of life here. Does Daton have time to place himself between the Kobolds and the fleeing family? And hope either his allies will join him or convince the kobolds to depart or even bluff them somehow.

Deckard approaches the kobolds, his rapier rasping free from it's sheath.  Stopping 15ft away, he hisses in Draconic, insulting the size of their birth clutch while infusing his words with power (Vicious Mockery: Will save DC 14 or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on it's next attack roll before the end of it's turn.)

Alright, then, everyone roll initiative.

Init: 23 (I hope I'm not wasting my good rolls on init)

16+4=20 I'd draw my bow, take aim at the kobald nearest the children. "Shoo you stinky skink!"

(2 extra Rolls 11+15)

Daton bravely rushes forward to interpose himself between the mother and the kobolds, just as Deckard strums a dissonant tune on his lute while berating a kobold in their native tongue.

(Wisdom save 12-2=10 roll damage for vicious mockery). Deckard then shoulders the lute and draws his rapier as he closes to 15 feet.

Rolen nocks an arrow, seeming to beg a kobold to make a wrong move.

(Initiative Roll 8 +0 = 8)  Talbard will move forward with his warhammer and shield ready for action and to help shield the family as well.

Damage: 3pts (fyi VM only has a verbal component)

Ok, thanks for reminding me.

Upon seeing the dragon, Klaus will arm himself with his shield & will grip his axe. Knowing that he wouldn't stand a chance vs the beast he still feels like he can at least give the family a chance to escape. When the kobolds appear he erupts into a roar,  & will charge at them. His slow feet thou betray him. (Init: 9)

1 person likes this

Deckard 23

Rolen 20

Daton 13

Klaus 9

Talbard 8

Kobolds 3

Imagine the kobolds are in a semicircle focused on the mother. The closest is 10 feet away, the farthest is 35 feet away. They are all next to each other, and all are 10 to 20 feet away from the mother.

So, Deckard has gone with Vicious Mockery.  That Kobold is still alive. We'll call him Kobold 1.

Rolen, if you'd like, you may fire at a Kobold.

Then Daton is going to rush in to protect the Family.

If there is a kobald within 5 feet of one of my allies and the children are safe, I'll aim at one near the ally for the sneak attack. If not, I'll aim at the one closest to the family.

10+6=16

1+4=5 (sneak attack 4) =9

"Hey wanna be lizardmen, go pick on someone your own size, like a pixie!"