Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

160 posts in this topic

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Part I of the Tyranny of Dragons Campaign

A Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Campaign

by Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter

Published by Wizards of the Coast, and Kobold Press

Copyright 2014

For the past several days, you have been traveling a road that winds lazily across the rolling grasslands of the Greenfields.  You decided to push on in your travels to try to reach town before dusk.  Sundown is approaching when you top a rise and see the town of Greenest just a few short miles away.  But instead of the pleasant, welcoming town you expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings, running figures that are little more than dots at this distance, and a dark winged shape wheeling low over the keep that rises above the center of the town.  Greenest is being attacked by a dragon!

Suddenly, a terrified human family consisting of a mother, father, and three young children erupt from the undergrowth onto the Greenway, about 20 feet in front of you.  The man limps badly, carrying his youngest child, and trying to usher his other children away from danger.  All five seem at least minimally wounded in some way.  Their mother turns, and lowers the point of a broken spear back toward her pursuers, and readies her round shield.  She looks determined to slow down her pursuers as much as possible to give her family a chance to survive. 

Just then, a group of eight kobolds stream out of the underbrush, fanning out to surround the woman.  Either they don't see your group, or they think you are on their side, because they don't seem to pay you any mind.

What do you want to do?

OOC: Well... I want to prevent loss of life here. Does Daton have time to place himself between the Kobolds and the fleeing family? And hope either his allies will join him or convince the kobolds to depart or even bluff them somehow.

Deckard approaches the kobolds, his rapier rasping free from it's sheath.  Stopping 15ft away, he hisses in Draconic, insulting the size of their birth clutch while infusing his words with power (Vicious Mockery: Will save DC 14 or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on it's next attack roll before the end of it's turn.)

Alright, then, everyone roll initiative.

Init: 23 (I hope I'm not wasting my good rolls on init)

16+4=20 I'd draw my bow, take aim at the kobald nearest the children. "Shoo you stinky skink!"

(2 extra Rolls 11+15)

Daton bravely rushes forward to interpose himself between the mother and the kobolds, just as Deckard strums a dissonant tune on his lute while berating a kobold in their native tongue.

(Wisdom save 12-2=10 roll damage for vicious mockery). Deckard then shoulders the lute and draws his rapier as he closes to 15 feet.

Rolen nocks an arrow, seeming to beg a kobold to make a wrong move.

(Initiative Roll 8 +0 = 8)  Talbard will move forward with his warhammer and shield ready for action and to help shield the family as well.

Damage: 3pts (fyi VM only has a verbal component)

Ok, thanks for reminding me.

Upon seeing the dragon, Klaus will arm himself with his shield & will grip his axe. Knowing that he wouldn't stand a chance vs the beast he still feels like he can at least give the family a chance to escape. When the kobolds appear he erupts into a roar,  & will charge at them. His slow feet thou betray him. (Init: 9)

1 person likes this

Deckard 23

Rolen 20

Daton 13

Klaus 9

Talbard 8

Kobolds 3

Imagine the kobolds are in a semicircle focused on the mother. The closest is 10 feet away, the farthest is 35 feet away. They are all next to each other, and all are 10 to 20 feet away from the mother.

So, Deckard has gone with Vicious Mockery.  That Kobold is still alive. We'll call him Kobold 1.

Rolen, if you'd like, you may fire at a Kobold.

Then Daton is going to rush in to protect the Family.

If there is a kobald within 5 feet of one of my allies and the children are safe, I'll aim at one near the ally for the sneak attack. If not, I'll aim at the one closest to the family.

10+6=16

1+4=5 (sneak attack 4) =9

"Hey wanna be lizardmen, go pick on someone your own size, like a pixie!"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By haldir

As I wanna get more experience DMing 5e before ReaperCon this year & flipping through Tales of the Yawning Portal, I thought I'd see if there was any interest in running a Sunless Citadel 5e game here. I loved the adventure in 3.5, it was actually one of the last sitdown @ home games I ran before my friends/gamers all scattered across the state/area.

Let me know here if you are interested.
      Basic 5e rules:  http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Basic/PH 5e rules with the options to play the UA ranger or PH ranger & UA artficer. Races can come from the following: PH, Elemental Evil Player's Guide (minus the aracockra & with this being a dungeon crawl, a goliath might not be the best choice either. Sword Coast & Volo's 5e (thou this one needs DM's approval before proceeding.)

I will probably set this in the Forgotten Realms as well.

Other then that standard character generation. Looking for 5 players.

I'd like to start around May 1st.
      thanks!
    • By Dr.Bedlam
      I teach special education. And sometimes, I use Dungeons and Dragons.

Why not? It's a great multifaceted tool and addresses a variety of core standards and diagnostic purposes.

1. You HAVE to read and write in order to play. In particular, if you HAVE a thing, but it is NOT WRITTEN DOWN? You don't have it. I don't care if Odin himself showed up and handed you a zillion gold pieces and the Spear of Destiny, if it isn't written on your sheet? Didn't happen. And if I can't read your handwriting? Didn't happen. Be happy I don't make you put it down in complete sentences. There, see? Now you have a plus-three spear that comes back to your hand! Oh, and the wizard handed you a scroll! Here, here's the play aid. What? I dunno what it says, YOU'RE the one holding the scrap of paper I gave you! Better read it CAREFULLY, it might be important...

2. Mental math. You want to know if your roll of 12 plus your +3 for strength can hit AC 16? Figure it out yourself. Afraid you'll get it wrong? Don't worry, I'll let you know... Hell, at some point, I mean to snakehip the James Bond Roleplaying Game to a more kid-friendly version; it uses a multiplication table to resolve skill checks, and it runs on percentile dice!

3. Rewards. Did everyone get their day's work done? Did everyone earn all their points? How many of us had behavior incidents this week? What? We're all lookin' good? Well, who wants to play a game...? It helps that it's a game that requires teamwork, and it's a game EVERYONE CAN THEORETICALLY WIN, which means that one kid who always tantrums if he loses doesn't necessarily have something to go off about.

4. Diagnostics. Roleplaying is nothing new to psychiatric work, but D&D is uniquely suited to creating immersive imaginary scenarios and seeing what a child will do in reaction. Example:
      "I slay the Orc! Does he have any treasure?" isn't uncommon.
      "I talk to the Orc, and tell him if he stands aside, we won't bother him!" is actually pretty healthy.
      "I slay the Orc! And then I keep stabbing him! And I laugh! And I stick an arrow up his nose!" may be indicative of some anger management issues.
      "I slay the Orc! And then I look for more orcs to kill! I don't care about treasure! Is there any more killing?" may be indicative of feelings of powerlessness or resentment towards someone.
      "I slay the Orc! And then I yank his pants down and saw off his..." may be indicative of issues I'll need to mention to the social workers.

5. Interpersonal/social relationships. Y'know what? It's a helluva lot safer and easier to manage when two kids' characters get into a ruckus than when the two actual children start pummeling each other. Furthermore, I find that immersive roleplaying is a HELLACIOUS teambuilding exercise, and tends to reflexively teach problem solving and managing interpersonal issues. Sure, you get "If you don't give me your potion of healing, my next character will kill YOUR character!", but compared to some of the scrambles one encounters in elementary school, this is a walk in the park.

6. Narrative Structure. There are children who just want to go find a monster that it's okay to maltreat. That's fine. Every generation has had its version of cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, whatever. But these kids are learning about genre, setting, characters, STOCK characters, protagonists, antagonists, and everything they'll need to know when it's TAUGHT to them... without even realizing it.

So, yeah, D&D is a useful thing, the kids eat it up, and it gives us all something to look forward to at the end of the week. And I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
      The Knight, the Warrior, the Ninja, the Cavalier, and the Wizard* have been wandering in the woods for three days. They have gotten good and lost by their own efforts and lack of forethought, and they are now beginning to regret the decisions that led them there. They defeated their enemies in the Red Caverns, but chose to force their way out a new exit rather than backtrack to the way they knew, and are now not even sure which side of the mountains they are on, or how to get back to the Red Caverns. The Cavalier is fairly sure that the town is east, but none of them have any idea how to determine which way IS east.

The Ranger would be a handy addition to the party right now -- as a sixth grader, he's the eldest, and knows how to track and find his way -- but since he blew off his math homework all week, he's busy catching up instead of enjoying Friday Fun. The group went hunting three days ago, and brought down a wild boar**, but since none of them have any idea how to preserve meat, the rations they didn't cook have gone a bit high. They have enough bacon and ham to feed the party for ONE more night... and after that, they will begin to find themselves a bit hungry.

The party are all Minecraft veterans. They know quite well what happens when your character starts getting... hungry. And so they're on the lookout for food.

The lack of the Ranger is keenly felt. Precisely what constitutes wild food? The group has been checking the trees of the forest; none seem to be fruit bearing trees. No apples or pears. Vegetable trees seem short as well; not a single potato tree, carrot bush, or Twizzler flower can be found. The Cavalier seems certain that some varieties of tree can be eaten, but so far, all they've found are the regular wooden kind. Still, hope runs high, although a low level argument is simmering about whether strawberries are plants or animals.

Abruptly, the DM begins rolling dice. The Knight warns everyone to stop cold; he is aware that this means SOMETHING, although the DM has refused to explain what. Low numbers on the D6 seem to indicate animals or monsters, and the DM has rolled a one. Then he rolled a D20, twice. "You are not surprised," the DM said.

"Meat!" giggles the Knight. "I get an arrow ready. Is it a deer? Or a turkey?"

"I hide in shadows," says the Ninja, rolling a stealth check. Successful.

"Is there such a thing as a wild cow?" asks the Cavalier.

"Cows could mean we're near a town," says the Warrior. "Or is it a buffalo?" 

"If I throw burning oil on it, will the meat cook itself?" asks the Wizard.

"Ew! That would make it taste horrible," said the Ninja. "Just use Burning Hands spell."

"You are not surprised," continues the DM, "but neither is HE." He puts a miniature on the table. It is a hideous, warty green humanoid, easily three times the size of any of the players. It is a cruel, monstrous looking horror, all claws and fangs and warts, and it fairly sweats malevolence.

The group, uncharacteristically, falls DEAD silent. What IS that thing? They've encountered ogres before, but they weren't this big... or this green.

*beat of horrified silence*

And then, the Ninja speaks in a small, solemn, eight year old voice: 

"We are NOT eating THAT."

And the game had to stop for a minute because the DM fell out of the chair laughing.

*Three Fighters, a Rogue, and a Magic-user, highest level is fourth. Mentzner BECMI system.
      **It was only after finding out what they were eating that three of the group realized that "boar" is in fact "pig, aka pork." One of the group seemed to think that most breakfast foods came from pigs, and was disappointed that the boar did not also provide toast. The conversion of "dead pig" into "edible foods" was not covered in detail, although the entire group seemed to understand that smacking it with a sword did not simply result in a pork chop floating in midair, like in Minecraft. Education continues.

• By pcktlnt
      LINK

In 1980 (ish) I got my hands on the original D&D game and played with my friends. Over the years, I fell in love with all of the books, especially the Fiend Folio. That COVER! Emmanuel's painting of the Githyanki! Man it is awesome.
      Then, In high school, I used to charge a whopping 50 bucks to hand-paint denim jacket back-panels for all of the metalheads and rockers. My favorite ones to paint, of course, were Iron Maiden's album covers. Derek Riggs' amazing paintings of Eddie blew my high school kid mind.

One day while painting a version of KILLERS by Iron Maiden, it struck me how similar it was to the old FIEND FOLIO cover. I thought that one day it would be fun to draw up a mix of the two. 

The original painting was done on a denim jacket, which sold at an art show, just like the old days. Since then, lots of folks have asked me to put the design onto T-Shirts, so I figured this would be a good way to get them out there!
      Boom.
      SHIRT DETAILS
      Shirt Brand and Material: This is an American Apparel T-shirt. It is black, 100 percent cotton on the sleeves and back, and soft poly on the front panel, The result is a vintage feel, super soft, medium-light weight shirt that feels great and shows bright colors. It is a slim fit, 4.4 oz., side-seamed t-shirt.
      Sizes: The shirts are available in the standard "unisex" American Apparel sizes of Small through XXL.
      Printing Method: These shirts are printed using a Dye-Sublimation process. It is an amazing process that gives photographic results while keeping the fabric incredibly soft. You have probably seen this printing method used on mousepads and game-mats. I did not want such a huge print to make the shirt feel like a plastic suit of armor, so silkscreening was not considered. The shirt printer has warned me that there may be small, white spots near the very edges of the art, in the underarms or edges. However, the sample that I ordered is perfect except when really stretched out, as you can see in the photos below.

TWO WEEK PROJECT
      Spread the word! If you know anyone that would be psyched for the shirt, pass along the link. The project is just a short, two week window.
      ORDERING DETAILS
      Backerkit: As with my past projects, I will be using Backerkit as a checkout system. This is a very flexible system that allows backers to order exactly what they want and lets us communicate after the project ends.
      Ordering more than one? Multiple people have asked me how to buy more than one. This option will be available as an "add on" upon checkout within the backerkit that you receive as a backer.
      Shipping Costs: We are using USPS priority shipping. 
      Returns: These shirts will be custom printed-to-order. This means that I am not creating large quantities and selling from that stock. I will be making only the shirts that have been ordered and therefore will not be able to accept returns. Thank you for understanding.
      *Please note that this project is not affiliated with Iron Maiden, TSR, Hasbro or Wizards of the Coast.
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarygames/forest-kingdom-campaign-compendium-for-pathfinder?ref=category_newest

About this project
      The forest is a place of mystery and danger, where the wild things are lurking in the shadowed underbrush with hungry eyes, but also where the fair folk flit and fly through sun-dappled glades. From Grimm's fairy tales to Tolkien's lovely Lothlorien, menacing Mirkwood, and forlorn Fangorn, there are few places for adventure more iconic than among the tall trees and verdant vales of the forest!
      In that spirit, Legendary Games is pleased to present a new hardback adventure accessory for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and 5E, the Forest Kingdom Campaign Compendium! Step under the shadowed boughs of the forest realm to find a wild world of magic, mystery, monsters, and more! From the misty boreal taiga of the cold northern reaches to wondrous glades of enchanting fey beauty, you'll find this book an encyclopedic resource for running your campaign, including:
      - Two complete wilderness adventures: the savage barbarian epic Cold Mountain and a deadly fey pursuit in Horns of the Hunted!
      - Over 50 new spells and magic items, from bloodspear and call woodland beings to the scout's spyglass, plow of the abundant harvest, and staff of the fey queen! 
      - Three dozen new character options, including new sorcerer bloodlines, cavalier orders, feats, archetypes, and more, from Feral Companion and Silent Shade of the Umbral Wood to the fey hunter ranger and darkwolf druid!
      - Over 30 new fey and forest monsters, from the boreal wight and stromkarl nixie to the mighty chernobog! 
      - Eight ready-to-play pregenerated characters with detailed histories and personalities, perfect as allies, rivals, or playable PCs!
      - Rich and immersive rules for fey-themed haunts and integrating fey into the campaign from personal relationships to world-altering faerie rumors, ripples, and ruptures that turn the natural world of mortals upside down!
      The Forest Kingdom Campaign Compendium starts by combining the entire River Kings product line from Legendary Games into a single volume, edited and polished and many available in print for the first time, including all of the following products:
      Beasts of Legend: Boreal Bestiary
      Beasts of Legend: Coldwood Codex
      Cold Mountain
      Conquering Heroes: Pregenerated Characters
      Faerie Mysteries
      Faerie Passions
      Horns of the Hunted
      Legendary Villains: Dark Druids
      Treasury of the Kingdom
      These fantastic supplements by all-star authors like Jason Nelson, Matt Goodall, Tim Hitchcock, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Russ Taylor, Alistair J. Rigg, Clinton J. Boomer, Julian Neale, N. Jolly, Tom Phillips, and Linda Zayas-Palmer are classics from Legendary Games and with them alone we could create a hardcover compilation of around 240 pages! All of the above material is complete and ready to go for both Pathfinder and 5th Edition! 
      That would make a pretty cool book on its own, but we also have some amazing brand-new bonus content we have ready for our stretch goals below, which might well push this book over 300 pages! Almost all writing and art for these bonus goals is already complete, and even if we don't quite hit our stretch goals, these products still will be completed and will be available for purchase separately, but if we hit those goals all of his great bonus content will be included in the compilation and backers will be able to download the individual PDFs after the Kickstarter ends! 
  • Who's Online   37 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)