Darcstaar

Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

206 posts in this topic

Looks like Klaus AC is 18.

Rolen's turn.

According to my reading of the 5e rules, there is no penalty for firing into melee, so you can target rats in the swarm despite it being in Klaus' square.  If anyone who knows the rules better than me knows this to be false, please speak up.

Like you read there is no penalty but there is the possibility of cover for the swarm from one of us in combat. So maybe a +2 to AC.

I did find this on the net in regards to firing into melee:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?356488-Firing-Into-A-Melee

Also there is this for cover. Which I would say the enemy does get.

https://5thsrd.org/combat/cover/

Yeah a DM might rule that as the creatures swarm about another's space, that larger creature ends up providing half cover, giving em a +2 to AC and dexterity saving throws.

But there is nothing concrete about it.

I might have to provide my own ruling regarding this because I got swarms coming up in my own game.

Also Haldir did you remember to factor in the damage from Dueling when you struck the swarm?

It's factored in, I have a +3 STR so the dueling bumps it up to +5 damage. I added to it before. I was thinking it wasn't added in, but the sheet I used has a auto-calculate in the sheet.

Your damage roll for the opportunity attack only had a +3 modifier though.

1 person likes this

I'll go with 1/2 cover so that the rats have +2 AC.  

Rationale: When the swarm is in its own square, there is 25 square feet of available target.  When it is in Klaus' square, there is only 10-12.5 square feet of safe target, so that honing in of safe target makes it a little harder to damage the swarm.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Your damage roll for the opportunity attack only had a +3 modifier though.

OK I see it now. Some reason I was think that was to hit.

Darcstaar, I changed my post to reflect I can't add. So the rat swarm took 5 instead of 4 damage when I hit in OoA.

That's fine.

Rolen's up.

I don't think Rolen would attempt to fire with the rats crawling up his leg. May I switch weapons to my rapier, move up and try to flick rats off him?

7+6=13

3+4(+5)=7(12)

Rolen steps up, swapping out his bow for a rapier.  He skewers dozens on his blade.  It has now taken 11 damage.

Time for round 2.

Daton is up.

Well Daton's going to go for that remaining swarm, sweeping low while being careful not to hit Klaus.

20+5=critical

4d6+3 = 6+5+6+1 +3 = 21

(On the one hand I hope I keep rolling this lucky. On the other, I'm worried people might start thinking I'm cheating...)

The rat swarm's numbers were thoroughly reduced, but enough survive to fight on.

Klaus and Talbard are up.  I would say have Talbard go first so I don't have to worry about the rules for Klaus trying to hit the swarm from within his own square, if the swarm perishes.

1 person likes this

Talbard will take a swing at the remaining rats with his hammer. 

Attack: 16+3= 19

Damage: 4+3 = 7

Talbard smashes enough rats that the rest disperse.

We're out of combat now.

"By the morning lord I've never seen such aggressive rats before! What caused them to turn so hostile? Everyone okay?"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      Here is another figure from Imperial Assault Core Game, by Fantasy Flight Games.
      Darth Vader.
      At once simple but difficult.  Trying to achieve dull black and shiny black on the same figure was not easy.
      I followed Sorastro's guides, but with Reaper Paint.
      I think this was the first figure I broke out my then newly acquired Citadel shades for the OSL.
      The black was Black with varying amounts of Snow Shadow for highlights, and then a small dab of a Reaper Sample that is somewhere between ghost white and snow shadow.
      The camera flash definitely grayed it up, but when I took the pics with just the light box, it was too dark.
      It has some gloss varnish on the helmet and shoulder armor.

Let me know what you think.
      Thanks for looking.

• By Darcstaar
      Here is another upload of what I have been working on for the last 18 months: Imperial Assault Core Game.
      Here is Diala Passil, the Padawan Light Saber wielder of the core 6 heroes in the game.  My color scheme follows the character art and Sorastro guide, but with Reaper and Vallejo Game Color paints.
      The camera makes the cloak look a lot more bright red than it really is.  It ended up a sort of brick red in-hand.
      Overall, the saber blade was my least favorite part of this mini.

Colors are under spoiler

• By Darius Glenwell
      I finally got a chance to paint up some of my own giants! Nothing to special on these. I think each took around 2-4 hours depending on what details I really wanted to pick out. I'm kinda liking the blue tint I left in the Frost giant's hair. Thanks for looking! 

• By Darcstaar

Rise of the Runelords, Anniversary Edition 
      Paizo Publishing
      First Printing 2012
      Utilizing rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, related to OGL 1.0a
      James Jacobs et al

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
       A marathon is 26 miles, and 385 yards of hell! Now it's time to test your mettle. Lloyd Metcalf and Ric Martens bring you Marathon of Heroes!
      Fighter, Magic user, Cleric, Thief. These are the four compass points and cornerstones of tabletop role playing games. Each with strengths and weaknesses that make them mortal, but also makes them HEROES!
       Here you may test your heroes, let them shine, and hone your party into a well-oiled machine. Here you will need to call back to the halcyon days when no one character could win, it took a team... a team of HEROES.
      The great dragon Vatrastrom sleeps on a bed of treasure at the heart of a volcano surrounded by wicked minions. 
      Miles away, Lord Fez gathers a group of adventurers to request their aid in ending the red menace. 
      Before these brave heroes confront the dragon, they must first prepare by facing challenges that hone their skills as individuals and as a team.
      Many have attempted confronting Vatrastrom, but none have lived to claim the great prize of the wyrm’s hoard. Will your champions be the ones to complete the Marathon of Heroes?
      Marathon of Heroes is a 36-38 page adventure module for the Fifth Edition of the world's favorite roleplaying game for 4-6 Level 5 characters based in the Lands of Lunacy setting from Fail Squad Games. It can be played in any setting with minimal adjustment. Marathon of Heroes is intended to be played over multiple sessions (Typically 4) but may run longer if used with "interlude" side quests.
      This is Fail Squad Games TENTH Kickstarter of its' kind. That's right TEN successful Kickstarters to print adventure modules.  
      We have found reliable printers, reliable shipping methods, we have PROVEN that we can handle budgets for projects of this type. The writing is done, 98% of the illustration is complete. We need your help to take this adventure to print.
       Fail Squad Games hasn't seen a stretch goal for some time. We're bringing them back! For this project stretch goals come in the form of Interludes. Interludes are what we call our short (2 page) side quest adventures ready to be hole punched and dropped into your games at any time. 
      One more tool for the GM to add to their arsenal. We are using this project as an opportunity to introduce these short side-quests to the world, and you can make it happen!
      Share the project link on Facebook, Twitter, in groups, Reddit... everywhere!!! and get more free stuff!
       Interlude stretch goals are delivered with NO EXTRA COST to you! That's right, it's just more adventure for your buck on us! Full color cardstock printed adventures. (2 pages - 1 card both sides)
      $2,000 - Verdant Bonds by Ric Martens $3,500 - Crypt on Keeper Hill by Lloyd Metcalf $4,500 - Ever Present Inn $6,000 - to be announced $10,000 - We commission a popular RPG author to write an interlude.
  • Who's Online   43 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)