Darcstaar

Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

215 posts in this topic

"Aye. The little basstarhds didn't get through."

With that I tap my armor.

So can we see from here if the gate's been disturbed or not? If so, our job is pretty much done....

You make your way over to the gate.  It is locked with a big, old, rusty lock.

You were given a key to this lock.

Part of your goal is to see if the area around the exit is clear or if it has been discovered.  This is going to be your main avenue of leaving and entering the Keep.

Anyone who wants to manipulate the lock give me an intelligence check.

I will let someone more inclined & smarter then the ole dwarf to open the lock, but I will keep my axe & shield at the ready just in case. I'm looking beyond the gate for any signs of trouble

Perception check if necc. 15 +2 = 17 total

You don't spot anything, because the gate seems shielded by natural features of the landscape: hill and trees/shrubs.

Looking about, Deckard shrugs and take the key.  He then examines the lock and opens it.

Int: d20+3= 18+3=21

You examine the lock.  It is rusty and old, and hasn't been opened for some time.

You successfully determine that if you fail to finesse the lock open with the key (easier) or lockpicks (harder), the items could break and ruin the lock!  Then, you would have to smash the lock which would make a lot of noise.

Give me a Dex check for using the key.

Dex: d20+3= 7 (oops).

"Hey, guys, this lock is busted.  I think someone will need to apply some mechanical agitation to get it open."

Luckily, your original wariness allowed you to stop just short of breaking the key off.  More importantly, you didn't need to make a lot of noise.  But, alas, the lock is still locked.

Someone else may try a Dex check with the key.

Daton'll give it a shot...

8+3 = 11

Daton winces as he dreads the key will break in the lock...

They key slides open with a muffled rasp.

The gate creaks slightly upon opening.

The immediate entrance is screened by a low hill.  You can climb the hill, and look down to the stream below, which is lined by trees.

A worn path along the stream reveals a medium sized bandit patrol.

Everyone give me a Dexterity(stealth) check.

Dex(stealth)= d20+5: 6 (sigh, my dice are trying to kill us)

d20 + 3 = 10+3 = 13

Glad my decent dexterity and mastery of medium armor are there...

Stealth Disadvantage due to Heavy Armor

1d20 = 8

1d20 = 9

8 it is.

Dex:  4 +0 = 4

Stealth is not Talbard's strong suit.