Darcstaar

Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

"Aye. The little basstarhds didn't get through."

With that I tap my armor.

You make your way over to the gate.  It is locked with a big, old, rusty lock.

You were given a key to this lock.

Part of your goal is to see if the area around the exit is clear or if it has been discovered.  This is going to be your main avenue of leaving and entering the Keep.

Anyone who wants to manipulate the lock give me an intelligence check.

I will let someone more inclined & smarter then the ole dwarf to open the lock, but I will keep my axe & shield at the ready just in case. I'm looking beyond the gate for any signs of trouble

Perception check if necc. 15 +2 = 17 total

You don't spot anything, because the gate seems shielded by natural features of the landscape: hill and trees/shrubs.

You examine the lock.  It is rusty and old, and hasn't been opened for some time.

You successfully determine that if you fail to finesse the lock open with the key (easier) or lockpicks (harder), the items could break and ruin the lock!  Then, you would have to smash the lock which would make a lot of noise.

Give me a Dex check for using the key.

Luckily, your original wariness allowed you to stop just short of breaking the key off.  More importantly, you didn't need to make a lot of noise.  But, alas, the lock is still locked.

Someone else may try a Dex check with the key.

They key slides open with a muffled rasp.

The gate creaks slightly upon opening.

The immediate entrance is screened by a low hill.  You can climb the hill, and look down to the stream below, which is lined by trees.

A worn path along the stream reveals a medium sized bandit patrol.

Everyone give me a Dexterity(stealth) check.

Stealth Disadvantage due to Heavy Armor

1d20 = 8

1d20 = 9

8 it is.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ChaoticBlues

It is time to set a course for adventure in your 5th Edition and Pathfinder RPG games with a spectacular set of pirate plunder and aquatic adventure on the seven seas and exotic ports of call with the Pirate Campaign Compendium from Legendary Games! 
      Whether you want to run interludes across the ocean or along the coastal plain or to undertake a full-on nautical campaign, from pure aquatic fantasy to historical high seas adventure, from sea serpents to booming broadsides, you'll find a wealth of amazing accessories in the Pirate Campaign Compendium! The base version of the book comprises a compilation of Legendary Games' full line of Pirate-Plug-Ins for Pathfinder and 5E.
      You'll find FIVE complete adventures ranging from 4th level to 14th level, including the smuggling run gone wrong in Spices and Flesh, the mad captain's hidden harbor in Tarin's Crown, the fast-paced high-seas heist of Raid on the Emperor's Hand, the seething rage of an ancient mystic secret of the seas in Scourge of the Steaming Isle, and an all-out assault on the stronghold of the pirate king in Fort Scurvy!  Dozens of maritime magical items in Treasury of the Fleet, including personal items like the hurricane harpoon and sea lord's tricorne as well as magic items for your ship. A selection of sinister sea monsters in an ever-growing bestiary of the briny blue!  A Pirate Codex of 30 nautical stock NPCs from 1st to 16th level, ready to drop into any encounter at a moment's notice. A pair of fully developed ship crews to use as allies or adversaries in Cutthroats and Crew. Eight richly detailed and ready-to-play pregenerated PCs in Nautical Heroes, each with detailed histories and backgrounds and advancement notes, perfect as followers, rivals, or even replacement PCs!  That's already over 200 pages of piratical delights for you, but that's just the beginning! With stretch goals, we'll be adding new nautical class options like aquatic archetypes, feats, and spells, more monsters, and even more surprises as we collect stretch goals along the way, where you get to help decide what goes in the final book! With your support, this book easily could pass 300 pages and beyond!
      Plus, we'll have a Pirates and Plunder chapter where YOU have the chance to bring a whole pirate world to life with characters and pirate captains and crews of your own, even designing a personal pirate flag, figurehead, or even a treasure map!
       Click here to download Chapter Ten Sample Pages: PCC 10p3 and PCC 10p9
      Click here to download Chapter Seven Sample Pages: PCC 7p14

Link:

• By Rat13
      For the last year I've been playing in D&D's Adventure League at my local gamestore. In that year we have gone from one table with an occasional second, to three full tables and we're approaching the need for a fourth. So the decision was made to start a "pay to play" system.

Currently we meet every Saturday and run four hour sessions. The price they've decided will be one dollar an hour. So each player will pay four dollars a session, which will be paid to the DM in the form of store credit. The idea was to help the DM's pay for miniatures, books, modules, and anything else they may need.

I'm a bit on the fence about this. I make sure the shop receives at least three dollars each week from me in sodas, and usually end up spending about twenty each month on random comics and figures. It might not sound like much but between myself and my wife I feel we do our part (She usually makes a "large" purchase every two weeks). So as far as paying our way to the shop I believe we're covered.

Now as for the DM I'd say we're a little lacking. As a group we do our best to change out our DMs so they have a chance to play. Thanks to my wife I've started helping out in that department though.

At the moment I am currently a DM so I know how hard running a game can be, not to mention the prep that goes into it before you even reach the table. Personally I end up prepping about two hours every week. As a DM I don't feel comfortable accepting money in a "pay to play" system though.

The only reason I'm even DMing is because someone had to and my wife kinda volunteered me. If I was a player I think I'd support this "new" system (the shop is making money with the added benefit of the DM being able to get necessary "supplies"), but as a DM this just doesn't feel right to me.

Am I being crazy? This is my hobby, even though painting is the main part, taking money just feels dirty. Does anyone else feel like this?
    • By Darcstaar
      Here's another recent paint.
      It still goes along with the Reign of Winter AP theme, though I don't know if the Adventure Path has a Polar Bear or not.
      This figure represents an example of "It looked better in my head."

I tried following some pictures of polar bears on the web: It seems some are very yellowed (not necessarily in the shadows), and some are very white.
      So, I started with a base of 50/50 Golden Blonde/Linen White, and successively lightened it up to white, and left the darker color in the shadows.
      I thought the fur quality on this BONES sculpt is very good, so it lent itself well to a mix of drybrushing and picking out individual strands with the brush.

I tried something different for the snow on the base, just some puddles of white glue that I then painted with Ghost White and Pure White.

C&C Welcomed.

• By Grayfax
      Critical Role resumes tonight (just in case you didn't know) in a brand new campaign with all new characters.  I'll be watching it on Alpha, using my same personae.  

We have no idea who will be who, or what they will be or where they will start, but the conjecture is strong.  
      Once the show has aired, please use Spoiler tags for any content that needs it.  As the show is airing, feel free to discuss it!  There is a spoiler tag alert in the header and I'll make a big sign below.  No reason to use spoilers, but I can link to specific episodes if people need to skip something and come back to it.  Maybe we won't say too much about previous episodes that way.  Who knows... Otherwise, bring on the popcorn and lets enjoy a good show!!!

Be Ye Warned!  There Be Spoilers Below!
      The Silhouettes have been Revealed...

• By Darcstaar
      Here's my final batch of new painted figures.
      Bones Giant Centipedes.  A staple encounter for low-level adventurers.
      Still inspired by Reign of Winter.  Sadly, Mr. Red got into the snow of Mr. Blue's base!
      Enjoy.
      C&C Welcome.

• Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)