Živa

Has my Pro-Create gone off?

12 posts in this topic

Long story short, I'm new to sculpting and have never used putty before (I've used Super Sculpey), but I found some Pro-Create in my closet I must have bought over a year ago and forgotten about. It's extremely hard to work with, like gum scraped off the bottom of a desk. Since I've never used it before, I don't know if that's normal and I just need better tools/technique, or if it's gone off because it's old and wasn't stored in cool temperatures. Anyone care to offer an opinion? 

Ours is about 5 years old, maybe older. It does start out hard, but softens as you work it. 

Ours is about 5 years old, maybe older. It does start out hard, but softens as you work it. 

So do I need to knead it until it's softer? I don't feel like it ever softens, but maybe I just need more practice. 

I had some trouble kneading a different brand of 2-part epoxy putty this last weekend. It was five-plus years old and there were hardened chunks in it that were not kneading together at all. I started again, but this time I first dropped the two parts into a steaming hot cup of water (not one I drink from, of course). After a moment, I pulled them out and kneaded them with no problem. As they got stiff again, I dipped the putty back into the hot water, then continued kneading until it was completely mixed.

The putty has hardened up, with no problem from the water so far.

1 person likes this

The problem is that you don't know how long the store had it before you got it (why I always try to buy from the mfgr). Knead it for a bit, if it doesn't soften, try mixing it 1:1 with Apoxie Sculpt.  If that saves it, great; if not, chuck it.

1 person likes this

It's extremely hard to work with, like gum scraped off the bottom of a desk.

looks normal to me

Most of the various putties have a fairly short shelf life where they work great, but then they have a much longer period where they're still usable but not optimal...

As mentioned, if the individual colors are very hard, bang on them with a (clean) hammer a few times to soften it up before dropping it into warm water. It should soften up enough to be kneadable. You might have to knead each of the colors for awhile before mixing them. It may not hold detail as well as it would if you'd used it when you first got it. Mix it with one of the softer putties if necessary.

If that doesn't do the job, then just mix the whole damn thing together as best you can and use it for making terrain or bases or something that doesn't require good detail. If it's solid as a rock, smash it with a hammer and use the fragments for something. A package of putty that's too old to use for it's usual purposes can still be useful for things like bulking out basic shapes of items like rocks, trees and walls so that you can save your good putty for doing the outer details on them. Just make sure you mark it carefully so that you know which package is your good stuff...

Edited by Mad Jack
1 person likes this

Thanks everyone. I tried the warm water and it was a dream to work with for about 20 minutes, then it was back to its hard gum texture. So, I guess I'll use extremely tiny amounts at a time until I get some new stuff in (it's been ordered). The stuff that's left has been turned into rocks and rubble for stuff I'm working on. 

Update: My Apoxie arrived last night. I mixed it with the ProCreate and I think I heard a chorus of angels. This stuff is heaven to work with! To put it in perspective, after the 50/50 Apoxie ProCreate mix had been curing for 2 hours, that's about when it reached the consistency the ProCreate was when freshly mixed. 

7 people like this

On 1/20/2017 at 10:25 AM, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

I had some trouble kneading a different brand of 2-part epoxy putty this last weekend. It was five-plus years old and there were hardened chunks in it that were not kneading together at all. I started again, but this time I first dropped the two parts into a steaming hot cup of water (not one I drink from, of course). After a moment, I pulled them out and kneaded them with no problem. As they got stiff again, I dipped the putty back into the hot water, then continued kneading until it was completely mixed.

The putty has hardened up, with no problem from the water so far.

I signed up to say that this tip saved some years old greenstuff I had got for a different (not mini sculpting) project. It may not be great for using for general sculpts but it has saved it from the bin and good enough for secondary things. Thanks for that!

Steve

5 people like this

5 hours ago, SChristides said:

I signed up to say that this tip saved some years old greenstuff I had got for a different (not mini sculpting) project. It may not be great for using for general sculpts but it has saved it from the bin and good enough for secondary things. Thanks for that!

Steve

Yay!  I was useful!

6 people like this

43 minutes ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Yay!  I was useful!

You PARTICIPATED!!!  

A-MMSCR-P-L.jpg

:poke:

9 people like this