SamuraiJack

Midgard Campaign Setting: Dark Roads & Deep Magic

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/midgard-campaign-setting-dark-roads-and-deep-magic?ref=category_newest

Five years have passed; high time to update the Midgard Campaign Setting, and add Deep Magic, adventures, and player options galore!

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated

About this project

Welcome to Midgard’s shadow roads, traveler! The way is winding and dangerous, but the rewards are great for the adventuresome and bold.

085f9d071ffe0b0f6a204add517d0cc1_origina

The rewards for the Midgard Kickstarter include 3 primary books, plus a slew of thrilling adventures and crunchy expansions! The core rewards include these volumes:

Midgard Campaign Setting: A 300+ page volume describing the Midgard regions, from the Northlands to the Western Wastes, and from the Southlands to the Crossroads. With detailed locations, cities, rulers, heraldry, plots, and adventure hooks galore, plus full details of the various pantheons, masked gods, and dark gods, there’s enough here to fuel years of adventuring!

In this updated edition, you’ll get the expanded Blood Kingdom of Morgau and updates to Zobeck, the Cantons, the Western Wastes, and other regions. If we meet our goals, we'll also  add the Shadow Realm and Blood Kingdom as standalone chapters, and may even open the golden gates of Khandiria...

This book is available in both a regular cover and in a special limited edition with leatherette cover, bookmark, and stamped gold foil, plus a handbound leather edition.

Midgard Heroes Handbook for 5th Edition: Full details for Midgard races, variants, archetypes, and backgrounds—everything you need to play trollkin, ravenfolk, kobolds, and others! You’ll also get more than a dozen new cleric domains, new weapons and equipment, and Deep Magic spells and traditions such as Clockwork Magic and Ley Line Magic. Stretch goals will add even more Deep Magic to the book, plus expanded races and broader options for existing ones.

Midgard Player’s Guide for Pathfinder RPG: Collects all of Midgard’s racial lore, class options, feats, and equipment under one set of covers—plus new material for ley line magic, and more. We hope to expand it with shadow magic and other stretch goals. Developed by Paizo staff developer Amanda Hamon Kunz.

Deep Magic Standalone: If the Heroes Handbook for 5th Edition grows too large from the addition of further Deep Magic material, we’ll split the spells and traditions into a separate volume of the arcane. If so, the new divine domains will remain in the Heroes Handbook.

Eldritch Lairs: A series of short 5th Edition adventures written by James Haeck and other designers, somewhat like the Prepared! collection of one-shots. This starts as a set of PDF stretch goals, and it will become a print volume included with the premium tiers once the collection is big enough (it will be an add-on for Basic pledge tiers).

dfe790c31f69ad49042a0beb196591f4_origina

e62c36137bc928dfd007fb1e29a18893_origina

The Midgard Campaign Setting is a world of dark roads and deep magic, firmly rooted in European myths and legends. While some regions of Midgard have been played since the 80s, Zobeck and the Crossroads were first published in 2006, and the world was originally published in 2012.

Midgard supports the 5th Edition of the world’s first RPG, as well as the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and others. Its players enjoy both wide-ranging rules support and a rich variety of adventures. Now we’re ready to update the setting by a decade, and to reveal a few of the secrets hinted at in the first edition of Midgard—while introducing new secrets and mysteries, of course! Baba Yaga knows much, and shares enough lore and schemes to fuel the next 5 years of campaigning.

Kobold Press always deliver a top-notch product, though it comes at a certain price. As I have all those books, I'm not sure I want to "update" at that price.

I'm in the same boat. I have the previous books so, even though I play 5E rather than Pathfinder, I don't know whether there is enough value for money in it for me to update.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      This figure is a great load off my Shelf of Shame.
      I wanted to complete it for my friend's 40th birthday, as he was supposed to come back to town for a surprise party.  I never finished it, since he changed his plans and there was no party.  He and I go back to 7th grade, and have gamed together on-and-off for the better part of 25 years.  I've gone back to complete this figure after about a 3 year hiatus.  He is my first real attempt at an NMM weapon and armor.  The challenge with the sword was the spine of the sword is soft not crisp, so getting a straight line was tough.

I asked my friend what his favorite type of character was to play.  His answer: Sword and Board fighter.
      I wanted the figure to resemble my friend: Very pale Caucasian, very light blond short hair.  Also, I wanted our high school colors to figure into the paint scheme: Green and White.

I also like to find old gems from the Reaper store that need some love and new life breathed into them!  Ashlan definitely fits the bill.

So, I present Ashlan Fellthrush, Heroic Paladin.

I had dreams at one point of making the suitable looking parts of the sword and tabard-trim into green gems, but gave up on that to get him DONE!.

Part of the reason I gave up on this figure for so long was my failure to realize my ambitious goal to paint a freehand gold NMM device on the back to match the one sculpted on the front.  The back felt like it needed something.  I tried a white dragon for a while, like the shield, but didn't like it.  So I repainted the back and tried this gold device.  It came out "good enough" after about the third try, so I moved on.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Ashlan.  In know my friend will enjoy it.  He's triple-sealed for gaming goodness.
      Now, I just have to pack him up for a safe trip to Seattle.

Thanks for reading.
      C&C Welcome.
    • By Darcstaar
      I've been wanting to paint these rat swarms since I got my Bones I shipment.
      However, the base was cut into this jagged shape, so I always delayed painting them as I waited on basing them.
      Finally, I decided to base some with a good heapin' helpin' of sand.  The other two got green stuff treatment to try to blend the base that way.
      One was wood planks, and the other was flagstones.

I tried to emphasize fur/hair in the painting.
      I totally "phoned it in" on the tails, noses and claws.
      I really didn't want to over-spend time on these guys.
      Sorry, I realize I didn't give you a good shot of the skull they are swarming over.

C&C Welcomed.

• By Darcstaar
      Every DM needs wolves.  These were bare metal used on the gaming table for far too long!
      I've been wanting to paint these for a long time, but was intimidated by the fur.
      I finally decided to take the plunge.
      I did some research on the web for images for inspiration, as well as the forums.
      Here's what I came up with.

C&C Welcome.

First, the individuals.
      Here was the inspiration photo from google images for a varied color gray wolf.

This is what I came up with for him.  Coincidentally, it ended up very similar to Anne's picture on the Reaper Web Store.

Next, I wanted a run-of-the-mill gray wolf.
      Here is an inspiration photo.

And the model.

And, as these are all for our Reign of Winter Adventure Path, I wanted a white wolf!

Here was the inspiration.

I was surprised to find so much cream and not so much white, so I tried to replicate it on the model.
      I also tried blue eyes, but they didn't pop quite well enough.  And I threw on some snow and cork "rocks."
      I wasn't entirely happy with it overall, but it is acceptable.

Finally, here are some group shots.
      Overall, I had fun painting these, and knocked all three out in about a week.
      That's SUPER fast for me.

• By Harrek
      Surprised I did not see this mentioned yet.

So my question here once people look at it is this really worth it?  The cost seems high given you can get Rosemary & Co or other company Kolinsky brushes far cheaper.  What makes these worth the extra cost?  I know you get the brush soap (which I would think most of us have already) and a nice case (not really needed perhaps).  But seems like $65ish with shipping for 4 brushes seems high.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      Designed by Archon Studio, creators of League of Ancient Defenders and Vanguard of Warcomes Empire of Men - a miniature line of 28mm scale set in dark future, where World War I still rages on.
      War that should have ended long time ago
      Our miniatures are based on various military designs from World War I and II eras, with obvious dark sci-fi twist added to it. Divided into two factions, they are more closer to it's historical sources or more imaginative on the other hand.

Heavy boots, thick leather coats and gas masks worn by everyone - that's The Great Empire in the nutshell. What they are lacking in physicality, they will compensate in calibers and amount of shots per minute. As World War One rages on mostly on their lands, toxic warfare resulted in whole zones being inhabited by mutated people, who eventually serve as Ubermans. Nothing is wasted in Military Industrial Complex of Great Empire.

Inhuman sleekness, terrifying effectiveness and cold calculation are Echelon Dominion's traits. After mandatory "Echelon Civilian Enhancement" government programs, can no longer considered as "human". This is not a decision taken solely by The Great Empire, but also by the Echelon, who see human equating to weakness. Where other forces deploy heavy infantry, The Echelon deploy Constructs. Where other forces face fear and suffering, they welcome challenge and seek to prove themselves. Their purpose is unknown as they don’t fight solely for the purpose of land, honor or survival but whatever their plan is it will end current era for mankind for sure.
      How the models are built
      All models from "Empire of Men" line are multipart and 28mm scaled. You can see overview of sizes below:

Also - if you have backed any of the previous Archon's campaigns, you can compare sizes of Empire of Men models with VoW and LOAD miniatures as well.

• Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)