Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Applejack

Advice on book purchasing?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Over the years I have become a collector of tabletop gaming books. I'm looking to buy Warlord 1st, Warlord 2nd, and/or Warlord: savage north. Here's what I'm wondering about.

1. Between 1st and 2nd, which game had better rules?

2. Between 1st and 2nd, was there much change in the hobby content (such as painting guides, etc.)? Artwork? Stories? Other non-rules content? If so, which book do you think is better?

3. Was the 2nd edition Warlord book ever published in hardcover? If so, where can I find it?

4. If I decided to buy 1st edition and Savage North, could I combine the army lists from one book with the rules from the other? (rephrased, could I use the armies listed in the 1e book with the 2e rules printed in Savage North?) Or are they just too different?

Thanks all!

Edited by Applejack

1st edition and 2nd edition had fairly decent changes, namely to simplify game play.  There are some significant rules differences.

2nd edition wasn't offered in hardback.

You cannot combine 1st edition and Savage North.  Savage North is an expansion to the 2nd edition armies.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking in sort of the same way as using a 4th or 5th edition Warhammer 40k codex with the 6th or 7th edition core rules. Like, even if it would only be possible with a gentleman's agreement, would it still technically, mechanically be possible?

Were there stat line changes or anything?

The biggest reason I'm asking is because I have a strong preference for hardcover books, and the 1e book seems to have been published in hardcover. But I would also prefer to have materials that supplement one another, and both the 2e books obviously do that.

Edited by Applejack

I picked up a used copy of the 1st ed. Warlord rulebook, out of curiosity.  I found it was worth getting just for the (fairly short) tutorial on miniature painting alone.  Of course, I paid less than four dollars for it.

The 1st ed. is hardcover, and the artwork and miniature photography is in color, though there is less of that than you might find in a WH40K codex.

The core of the rules are the same, but some things are very different.

1st edition had your spellcasters pay points for their spells.

2nd edition has "tomes," so a spellcaster can cast (for example), bolt and fireball without paying additional points for each.

Some models changed.  For example, 1st edition had spectral minions as a model.  2nd edition gives a spell "summon spectral minion" and you don't pay points for it.

Stat lines changed fairly dramatically.  Again, the rules are similar, but 2nd/Savage North are simpler.

Also be aware that the game isn't supported anymore, and was never extremely popular.  I'm not sure spending the effort to collect the books would be worth it.  But, I'm not a collector, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1 person likes this

The lack of support doesn't surprise or deter me. At some point all rulebooks meet that fate. Again, thank you both.

1 person likes this

1st edition books are definately worth it, they have great stories and tons of artwork. There are even army expansion books for 1st, but theyre soft cover. I have the Necropolis one and it has instructions on how to build a gaming table in the back.

2 people like this

I was curious about it too.

I don't game, but I love reading fluff and seeing examples of painted minis or art depicting the armies.

Sometimes I can see the nefsokhar book on evilbay. is it any good for this purpose?

And is there a seperate book for Reptus?

1 person likes this

The beauty of the first edition HB is must to have even as just a collectable.

Savage North is hard cover. It has all the rules for you to play. The main difference from the 2nd edition is the fractions listed. 

Which edition came in a boxed set with the rule book and some minis?

I found one at my FLGS but couldn't find a date or edition info on the box.

6 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Which edition came in a boxed set with the rule book and some minis?

I found one at my FLGS but couldn't find a date or edition info on the box.

I think that it was first edition.

1 person likes this

If you come across the faction books from 1st ed, they are great sources for background info for the factions.  The Reven book got me really pumped to play them, getting me to paint them...well, look at which house I'm in.

Dark Heaven: Apocalypse also came in a box.  It came with several books and a selection of miniatures (some dwarves and skeletons, four or five of each.)

On 3/6/2017 at 5:47 AM, Xherman1964 said:

And is there a seperate book for Reptus?

No, they discontinued the splat book series before getting to Reptus.

~v

2 people like this