Aryanun

[SPLIT] RC2017 Rooms thread

Nacogdoches... Nope... not close to Austin... well, in Texas-speak, it's not quite halfway across the state, but it's still a 4-5 hour trip in a Southerly direction...

Okay, for your first bit of interpreting the local lingo, what is nacho-doggies?

Well, son, this here would be the Oldest Town in Texas.  You might remember seeing it in the news a bit 13 years ago when the shuttle Columbia came apart over our fair city... as it is still the only time people across the nation knew how to spell the word we say as NACK-O-DOCHES. It is also the Garden Capital of Texas where we have the largest Texas Azalea garden on campus at our local University.  If you follow Hoops in March, you might have seen our Mascot the past few years, the Lumberjack of SFA (the University is Stephen F. Austin State University, but TV channels feel free to guess at where we are from and rearrange how the words are used... we are not from Austin... it is part of a name).  There's a lot more, but that would cover a couple of the highlights...

• Like 4

Nacogdoches... Nope... not close to Austin... well, in Texas-speak, it's not quite halfway across the state, but it's still a 4-5 hour trip in a Southerly direction...

Okay, for your first bit of interpreting the local lingo, what is nacho-doggies?

Nacogdoches (pronounced Nack-a-Dough-Chis) is a city near the TX/LA border, famous for being the only city in the Deadlands universe that thinks the zombies are fun sport.

And ReaperBryan KNOWS my wife and her fixation on Zombies!!!!  Oh... and we also have local author Joe R. Lansdale (writer of such great things as Bubba Ho-Tep) and current residence of Brad Maule (General Hospital's Dr. Tony Jones).

• Like 5

I loved Bubba Ho-Tep! Cinematic masterwork!!

And Columbia... :down:

I think in my brain it will forever be nacho-doggies, but good to know how it's actually pronounced.

And if I can sleep through ChaosWolf's snoring, I should be able to handle just about anyone elses.

• Like 5

And if I can sleep through ChaosWolf's snoring, I should be able to handle just about anyone elses.

I don't know if I should feel bad for being a loud roommate, or good 'cause I was helping to condition you to sleeping through anything.....

• Like 7

It's a tex mex thing David, doritos and melted cheese on frankfurters...

>_>

• Like 4

It's a tex mex thing David, doritos and melted cheese on frankfurters...

>_>

When the Velveeta and Rotel dip mixes with the spicy Little Smokies? You betcha, I'll still eat it... may have to work on the ratio... but mostly if I want more protein in the cheese dip, I'm going with 100% Angus.  

• Like 4

Can you interpret that pile of poo they call a highway near the hotel...? :)

J--

The Bride and I came to an agreement last night and I'll be coming for the full ReaperCon Experience this year... but I'll be flying solo, so I'm either looking for a room to share or I will make a reservation before the weekend is over.  My allergies prefer non-smoking rooms and if I end up on my back, I can snore, so light sleepers beware.  I will have a vehicle as I'll be driving in and I plan to be at the dinners every evening, so if you are looking for transportation as well consider it part of the package (if you are considering a lot of things being carried, let me know and I can negotiate with my Bride for her City-Terrain-Vehicle instead of my Truck).  I'm also from Texas, so I can interpret local lingo if needed.  

You mean Dallas? No, I don't have much of an explanation for that.  But considering it started in larger cities further East, I would say it is an imported thing and not a local Texas thing.  Now when you see a hitchin' post near all of that mess... THEN it's a Texas thang!

And for full disclosure, I haven't been to Lewisville since they put in the bridge across the lake... and I've never been near the HGI or the Premier Event Center (I was going to my college roomate's parents house in McKinney and we stopped at the camp he was going to be teaching at for a retreat weekend).  This was easily twenty years ago and a lot has happened in this area then.  Heck, most of it was still rural back then.... but then Dallas exploded North and you get what you get.

Edited by Grayfax
  • Like 3

My presence at RCON17 is now... uncertain.

Reason: I'll be travelling to Japan with my mother on Oct 01-13. A trip of a lifetime, but it's also eating up my vacation days. So if I also want to spend Christmas with the family, I'm going to need to spend a lot of extra time at work if I want to fit ReaperCon at all. And just so you know, we can only bank full days at my work site, anything less than a day gets paid at time and a half.

Though *IF* I do go, it will be for the full Wednesday to Monday morning experience. So Oct 18-23.

• Like 7

On 2/1/2017 at 9:14 PM, David Brawley said:

Well, with Mrs. Wolf coming, I'll be needing to find a new roomie... 

Any non-smokers looking to split a room?

Checking again...

• Like 1

Tried booking at the Hilton Gardens Lewisville showed no rooms available.  Any info for the block of rooms at this point?

I'll be looking to crash with someone at HGI - I might miss thursday though. Working with schedule now to see if it'll happen as I hope.

• Like 1

Since it appears there are no more rooms available at HGI during Reapercon, any recommendations for alternative hotels in the area?

Edited by ferret

There are quite a few hotels in the area with at least 5 (Fairfield, Courtyard, Hampton Inn, TownPlace Suites, and Holiday Inn Express) within easy walking distance of the Hilton Garden Inn.  There are also ones close to the actual venue, but you'll need a car.

Last year, overflow rooms were in a block at the Fairfield.

Ron

• Like 3

The HGI have become increasingly difficult to work with since we no longer rent their ballrooms space, and have refused additional rooms for our event, at the special rate.

We will be unable to secure further rooms there, and are working with new hotels to see fi we can get a good rate with anyone else.

Rooms can still be obtained at the HGI, but not at the lower rates.

• Like 3