Aryanun

[SPLIT] RC2017 Rides thread

38 posts in this topic

Room booked! *dances*

I'll be renting a car on Wednesday and driving from Austin to Denton. Return on Monday. I should have space for one other, but since I'll have a wheelchair or walker (depending on which I get), plus my suitcase and supplies, I cannot guarantee more space. I may have that space claimed by a non-forumite, but will have to check with him if he's going.

From hotel to the con, I'll likely have more space, but will be first come, first served. At least one lunch run space to Taco Bell is reserved for Buglips since I already promised.

Edited by Aryanun
4 people like this

Wondering what it would cost to rent a mini van, and if anyone would like to chip in for rides to and from the hotel to the con, and at least 1 trip to the factory....

Not that there was ever a problem riding the shuttle to and from the hotel in the am, most evenings I caught a ride with someone (Thanks Dusty!!!!, Dilvish and I still owe you a bottle of the Honey Bourbon....) but I wonder if there are late night shenanigans at the con site....

And I missed out on the factory tour due to issues on Sunday morning with the bus running out of / low on fuel and not coming back.....

Just a random thought, if folks would be interested in sharing the cost.....

George

4 people like this

Not really at the Con site. Granted there are people finishing up games or minis & packing up, but most of the action is back at the hotels.

Now if the Con was still fully at the hotel people would be digging through the melt table at 1 am. People painting late all the while chatting up a storm. ::):

5 people like this

Wondering what it would cost to rent a mini van, and if anyone would like to chip in for rides to and from the hotel to the con, and at least 1 trip to the factory....

Not that there was ever a problem riding the shuttle to and from the hotel in the am, most evenings I caught a ride with someone (Thanks Dusty!!!!, Dilvish and I still owe you a bottle of the Honey Bourbon....) but I wonder if there are late night shenanigans at the con site....

And I missed out on the factory tour due to issues on Sunday morning with the bus running out of / low on fuel and not coming back.....

George

From my experience renting cars in other cities, minivans tend to be pretty pricey. We had to find a rental arrangement at Christmas for 8 people and the far cheapest option was to rent two compact cars. Really once you're looking at seats for more than 5 the price starts to jump fast.

Not that I've even got agreement in principle that we should go to ReaperCon, but I'm still hoping.

2 people like this

I'll talk to Mr. Thorne; nothing's been set even in plaster on our end.

4 people like this

George

If memory serves me, it would be (depending on when u book it) at min 300-350 bucks.

3 people like this

George

The morning shuttle was a great solution to get to the con. But as you say, it was missing out on after con hours late night shenanigans that got me.

So yeah, I thought about renting.

2 people like this

I will be making the drive up on Wednesday afternoon, returning Sunday.  Rides for 1-2 people are available.

I'l also able to give rides to/from the hotel.

George

The morning shuttle was a great solution to get to the con. But as you say, it was missing out on after con hours late night shenanigans that got me.

I will say generally there is room for 2 in the back seat of my ride to the Con each morning. (I ride with Rastl almost every morning)

Passengers welcomed!

George

I will say generally there is room for 2 in the back seat of my ride to the Con each morning. (I ride with Rastl almost every morning)

Passengers welcomed!

Yup. Haldir (who doesn't look like his avatar) is my point man when it comes to offering up rides. He'll also know my flight schedule and will help coordinate with that.

Why don't I just do it myself? He's here a LOT more than I am and far more well known. And it gives him something to do.   :poke:

4 people like this

The hotel offered to come get people at the convention site outside their normal transport times if you called the front desk and asked.

1 person likes this

Which one? The HGI?

It looks like the block hotels are a fair distance from the event venue itself. Are there any group transportation arrangements or is it every nerd for themselves (rental/rideshare/bus)? Is there anything going on in the "hotel" area that you want to be nearby for?

1 hour ago, lazylich said:

It looks like the block hotels are a fair distance from the event venue itself. Are there any group transportation arrangements or is it every nerd for themselves (rental/rideshare/bus)? Is there anything going on in the "hotel" area that you want to be nearby for?

There might be hotel transportation (at least the HGI as it was last year. I'm not exactly sure of this year), also fellow con-goers are your friends when it comes to rides as well. 

About the only thing that goes on at the hotel is the after Con get togethers (causal drinking, BSing, etc etc).

5 people like this

2 hours ago, haldir said:

There might be hotel transportation (at least the HGI as it was last year. I'm not exactly sure of this year), also fellow con-goers are your friends when it comes to rides as well. 

About the only thing that goes on at the hotel is the after Con get togethers (causal drinking, BSing, etc etc).

around the fire place at the HGI.....

easy walking to the Fairfield....

ask the Wolf and Hamster....

1 person likes this