33 posts in this topic

Someone else here had picked up a wooden log cabin kit from Hobby Lobby a while ago and posted it here. I picked one up myself the other day  and started to work on it.

This is the one I'm talking about.

post-12095-0-06662800-1486220872_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the picture, it's not too terribly expensive. This is both good and bad. I'll get to that in a few minutes.

This is the basic assembly; it took me about 20 minutes only because a few of the pieces needed to be trimmed a little bit for a good fit. Unfortunately, my kit was missing 2 pieces; there are supposed to be 2 'half logs' that go on the very bottom of the structure to start things off. I thought about going back and complaining, but for the price I paid, I figured it wasn't worth the gas I'd end up using to get there. Besides, this is only a minor challenge; improvise, adapt, and overcome!

I'll hide the mistake when I get to the basing part.

post-12095-0-27905000-1486220949_thumb.jpg

Since this is intended for use as a gaming piece, I deviated from the instructions and assembled the roof differently so that it would be detachable to put figures inside. I added some toothpicks for extra support/strength.

post-12095-0-81477200-1486221300_thumb.jpg

And that's where I am right now.

19 people like this

It looks like a Link's Log Cabin kit from my boyhood...I LOVED that thing. Have FUN with the build!

5 people like this

Off to a good start!

When I was model railroading, I remember making logs by taking wooden dowels, carefully distressing them along their length with a razor saw, and staining all but the ends to give them a bark color and texture. That was a smaller scale than this, so I don't know if it would work here.

EDIT: Nevermind! I forgot that just about all log cabins have their logs stripped of bark first.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
4 people like this

Nice!

2 people like this

Suddenly I'm kind of wishing I kept track of my lincoln logs collection.

This should be interesting. 

4 people like this

How does it scale to Reaper figures?

1 person likes this

Yes, I had some flashbacks to my Lincoln Logs collection from when I was a kid, too. I wonder what ever happened to those...

How does it scale to Reaper figures?

The building itself scales pretty well (especially considering that it should be a little taller due to the missing pieces mine had), but the door that comes with it is a little small.

I'll take a couple scale pictures later on when I'm working at my bench again.

4 people like this

Are you going to cut out the doors and windows?

Face thecuts with sills made from popsicle sticks / wooden coffee stirrers, and then put in the doors....

5 people like this

Suddenly I'm kind of wishing I kept track of my lincoln logs collection.

This should be interesting.

I bet you could find plenty of Lincoln Logs cheap at swap meets and rummage sales.

1 person likes this

Yes, I had some flashbacks to my Lincoln Logs collection from when I was a kid, too. I wonder what ever happened to those...

...that's it. I knew I muffed the name & I couldn't get by Link's. There was a restaurant in Suffolk County called Link's Log Cabin...it was a log building.

I think my Lincoln Logs disappeared sometime after college along with my American Flyer Trains.

Edited by malefactus
2 people like this

Are you going to cut out the doors and windows?

Face thecuts with sills made from popsicle sticks / wooden coffee stirrers, and then put in the doors....

I am planning on at least doing the door; I'm not sure how easy it's going to be for the windows, so we'll see.

And here's SirForscale next to the cabin; that flat piece of wood is the door.

post-12095-0-37711800-1486305336_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it's a little short (but don't forget my copy was missing the base logs, so it should be a little taller). The bigger problem is the door, poor SirForscale better learn to duck a lot if this is his home.

So, does it scale well with today's figures? No, (unless you want to use it as a halfling house; it'd be good for that) not perfectly.

Is it pretty close? Yes, it is. And that's good enough for me.

For $4, I think it's worth it. It's quick to build, looks fairly decent, and will provide some much needed terrain/scenery. For $20 you can have a nice little frontier settlement and fill up some space on your gaming table. It's also simple enough that spending a little extra time on it will make it look even better, which I plan to do with mine.

6 people like this

Buy half again the number of kits ($6 per building) and use half of one to build the first higher.  Use the second half to build the third cabin higher.  This would mean $30 for your village but of more appropriate scale.  Or split the difference and use 1/4 to add just another layer.  Might work if all the other kits are not missing the base logs.

7 people like this

Excellent idea!

1 person likes this

Either that or you have a Western Dwarven Village to explore.

Dwarves with sixshooters and winchesters!

Riding ponies.

Mining gold.

9 people like this

Putting the buildings on bases would also even things out a bit. 

I do like the dwarven cabins idea.  

But what dwarf would waste his time mining gold if there is mithril in them thar hills?

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      I bought into the recent Oathsworn Fur and Feathers Kickstarter. The first thing up on my painting table from this is the scenery piece, a mouse house. I am imagining this is going to see use as a hobbit dwelling more frequently...

• By Chaoswolf
      Here's the official arrival/departure thread for round 5 of the Box of Goodwill.

Remember, no chatter here, please. Do it here instead:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/75140-box-of-goodwill-round-5-picturechatter-thread/

Generic Fighter---sent 19 July
      Pineapple---received 21 July, Sent 27 July
      Shadowphaze---received 29 July, Sent 07 August
      Thumpernicus---arrived 09 August, Sent 14 August
      Matt Parody---arrived 18 August, sent 12 September
      TGP---arrived 14 September
      Generic Fighter

Pcktlnt---sent 27 July
      HDClearman---received 29 July
      Izzylobo---received 02 August, Sent 08 August
      Dr.Bedlam---received 14 August, Sent 18 August
      Kate---received 21 August, Sent 24 August
      Arc724---received 26 August, Sent September 8
      Kangaroorex---arrived 12 September, sent 02 October
      Pcktlnt---arrived 04 October

Guindyloo---sent 11 September
      Inarah---received 13 September, sent 21 September
      Knarthex---arrived 26 September, sent 28 September
      Froggy the Great---arrived 02 October, sent 12 October
      David Brawley---arrived 13 October,
      Haldir
      Horned Turtle
      Guindyloo

Bonwirn---sent 07 August
      MadJack---arrived 10 August, Sent 22 August
      Sylverthorne---arrived 24 August, Sent august 25
      Hungerfan---arrived 28 August, Sent 08 September
      Keianna---arrived 11 September, Sent 27 september
      Buckyball---arrived 04 October, Sent 05 October
      Jsalyers---arrived 07 October,
      Bonwirn

Rob Dean---sent 14 July
      SGHawkins09--arrived 18 July, Sent 28 July
      Dogbl---arrived 31 July, sent 03 August
      NomadZeke---arrived and sent on approx 12-13 September
      Evil Halfling---arrived 18 September, sent 23 September
      Klarg1---arrived  26 September, sent 06 October
      Rob Dean---arrived 10 October

Froggy The Great---sent 02 August
      Pingo---arrived 05 August, Sent 14 August
      Dilvish the Deliverer---arrived 17 august, Sent 21 August
      Epimys---arrived 23 August, Sent 25 August
      Broonkah---received 29 August, Sent 31 August
      SparrowMarie---received 02 September, Sent 07 September
      Morihalda---received 10 September, sent 13 September
      Chaos Wolf---received 16 September

Chaos Wolf---sent 07 August
      Chris Palmer---arrived 09 August, Sent 14 August
      Hiddenone32---arrived 16 August,Sent 30 august
      TalaeArrived...., sent September
      Lidless Eye---Arrived 30 September, sent 02 October
      Ub3r N3rd---arrived 04 October, sent 05 October
      Samurai Jack---arrived 07 October, sent 14 October
      Chaos Wolf
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      Why another tabletop terrain project? 
      To give you an entire village-in-a-box!  A unique design, that gives the illusion of tiled roofs, but where you can easily balance your precious miniatures!  Easy to store - can be assembled and disassembled over and over! Quick to assemble - no use of glue is required!  Simple to use - the MDF surface reacts well to many types of paint!   What you get in the box 
      16 fantasy buildings (4 of each type, see below)  Optional extra height for 8 buildings  Optional extra tall "wizards tower"  Assembly & painting guidelines Type 1: The Roaring Lions 
      The tallest building in the Dread Streets - at least if no one nearby dares add another store! 
      Type 2: The Twin Dragons  
      The wary citizens of the Dread Streets make scarecrows of their houses - but there are no crows, only neighbors with thieving fingers... 
      Type 3: The Lucky Seahorses 
      The shape of a seahorse is said to bring luck in the Dread Streets. Nothing else does... 
      Type 4: The Firebreathers  
      Considered a dire and foreboding shape - since gutter water is often sprayed from the mouths of the Firebreathers onto the onlookers!
      "The Wizards Tower" 
      Wizards are not to be trusted, and are required by the law of the Dread Streets to live at least two stories above ground level. 
    • By noodlemancer
      I bought the Golden crackle paste medium instead of going out to buy the GW crackle paint... but so far no crackles in my test swatches. I'm hoping some people here have tried Golden before and have any tips. Do I need a base coat? Glue on the bottom? Thicker layers? Does it need the full 3 days to dry & cure even for small terrain pieces?

I'm hoping to be able to just use what I already have, but I might be able to buy some Agrellan earth this weekend if the Golden doesn't work. Or if there are any good crackle paints for a dry desert texture I could find at Joann's or Michael's or Blick.

Thanks! :)
    • By Chaoswolf
      ...and finishing it in 10 days or less.

And you're all invited to come along for the ride. Audience participation is welcome and encouraged, just don't throw anything, please.
      (Unless it's money)

While on the hangouts last night, I had an idea for a new project, and then started to laugh. When asked what was so funny, I said that I had just thought of a cool idea for a vignette for Reapercon, but it was too bad it's only a little over a week away. Some of the helpful folks there encouraged me to 'go for it'. I laughed.

But I started thinking about it.

Then I really started to think about it; I got out some stuff, and made a crude  mock-up sketch. Then I thought about it some more.

....and now I think I'm going to do it. It's not like all of my other projects are already finished, right? Oh wait....

So, when I hobby, I usually have a couple different things going at one time, so that I can work on something else while i'm waiting for paint/glue/putty/whatever to dry. I was converting this fellow:
      http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/77408
      when the idea hit me.

So, what I'm thinking is a scene where the evil spell caster is summoning up some unholy thing from the pit for some evil shenanigans.

Mock up:

The big scary monster is not what I'm going to use; it's just a place holder. The summoning portal will be in the ground. What I'm thinking for the monster is that less is more; just an arm and top of the head, or some tentacles or something just starting to rise up out of the portal.
      What do you think?

Also, here's the guy I converted:

Since he was the chap that inspired this idea, I was going to use him as the star, (and I still might), but I was wondering if the calm pose works alright ( I imagine all the chanting, bloodletting and so on has concluded and he's just waiting for his minion to come forth ), or if a more action-y pose (arms spread, holding a staff/sword/something over the head, something like that) would be better.

Well, what do you think?
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)