33 posts in this topic

Someone else here had picked up a wooden log cabin kit from Hobby Lobby a while ago and posted it here. I picked one up myself the other day  and started to work on it.

This is the one I'm talking about.

post-12095-0-06662800-1486220872_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the picture, it's not too terribly expensive. This is both good and bad. I'll get to that in a few minutes.

This is the basic assembly; it took me about 20 minutes only because a few of the pieces needed to be trimmed a little bit for a good fit. Unfortunately, my kit was missing 2 pieces; there are supposed to be 2 'half logs' that go on the very bottom of the structure to start things off. I thought about going back and complaining, but for the price I paid, I figured it wasn't worth the gas I'd end up using to get there. Besides, this is only a minor challenge; improvise, adapt, and overcome!

I'll hide the mistake when I get to the basing part.

post-12095-0-27905000-1486220949_thumb.jpg

Since this is intended for use as a gaming piece, I deviated from the instructions and assembled the roof differently so that it would be detachable to put figures inside. I added some toothpicks for extra support/strength.

post-12095-0-81477200-1486221300_thumb.jpg

And that's where I am right now.

19 people like this

It looks like a Link's Log Cabin kit from my boyhood...I LOVED that thing. Have FUN with the build!

5 people like this

Off to a good start!

When I was model railroading, I remember making logs by taking wooden dowels, carefully distressing them along their length with a razor saw, and staining all but the ends to give them a bark color and texture. That was a smaller scale than this, so I don't know if it would work here.

EDIT: Nevermind! I forgot that just about all log cabins have their logs stripped of bark first.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
4 people like this

Nice!

2 people like this

Suddenly I'm kind of wishing I kept track of my lincoln logs collection.

This should be interesting. 

4 people like this

How does it scale to Reaper figures?

1 person likes this

Yes, I had some flashbacks to my Lincoln Logs collection from when I was a kid, too. I wonder what ever happened to those...

How does it scale to Reaper figures?

The building itself scales pretty well (especially considering that it should be a little taller due to the missing pieces mine had), but the door that comes with it is a little small.

I'll take a couple scale pictures later on when I'm working at my bench again.

4 people like this

Are you going to cut out the doors and windows?

Face thecuts with sills made from popsicle sticks / wooden coffee stirrers, and then put in the doors....

5 people like this

Suddenly I'm kind of wishing I kept track of my lincoln logs collection.

This should be interesting.

I bet you could find plenty of Lincoln Logs cheap at swap meets and rummage sales.

1 person likes this

Yes, I had some flashbacks to my Lincoln Logs collection from when I was a kid, too. I wonder what ever happened to those...

...that's it. I knew I muffed the name & I couldn't get by Link's. There was a restaurant in Suffolk County called Link's Log Cabin...it was a log building.

I think my Lincoln Logs disappeared sometime after college along with my American Flyer Trains.

Edited by malefactus
2 people like this

Are you going to cut out the doors and windows?

Face thecuts with sills made from popsicle sticks / wooden coffee stirrers, and then put in the doors....

I am planning on at least doing the door; I'm not sure how easy it's going to be for the windows, so we'll see.

And here's SirForscale next to the cabin; that flat piece of wood is the door.

post-12095-0-37711800-1486305336_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it's a little short (but don't forget my copy was missing the base logs, so it should be a little taller). The bigger problem is the door, poor SirForscale better learn to duck a lot if this is his home.

So, does it scale well with today's figures? No, (unless you want to use it as a halfling house; it'd be good for that) not perfectly.

Is it pretty close? Yes, it is. And that's good enough for me.

For $4, I think it's worth it. It's quick to build, looks fairly decent, and will provide some much needed terrain/scenery. For $20 you can have a nice little frontier settlement and fill up some space on your gaming table. It's also simple enough that spending a little extra time on it will make it look even better, which I plan to do with mine.

6 people like this

Buy half again the number of kits ($6 per building) and use half of one to build the first higher.  Use the second half to build the third cabin higher.  This would mean $30 for your village but of more appropriate scale.  Or split the difference and use 1/4 to add just another layer.  Might work if all the other kits are not missing the base logs.

7 people like this

Excellent idea!

1 person likes this

Either that or you have a Western Dwarven Village to explore.

Dwarves with sixshooters and winchesters!

Riding ponies.

Mining gold.

9 people like this

Putting the buildings on bases would also even things out a bit. 

I do like the dwarven cabins idea.  

But what dwarf would waste his time mining gold if there is mithril in them thar hills?

2 people like this