pcktlnt

Cancelled
Conan: Rise of Monsters

74 posts in this topic

I'm glad they're live, and seem to be getting good interest, but I'd agree that the pre-paints are pushing the price point pretty high. (I was kind of hoping for something like an $80-100 entry point).

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

As far as I understood, you cannot get add-ons without a $150 pledge?

Ahh. Well then nevermind... <_< Guess I will get to save my money then... Oh Well...

2 people like this

My interest went from 8 to 0 in a matter of seconds. :zombie:

I would have been very interested in the Bones terrain, and am not at all interested in a $150 game that allows you to add on the terrain.

The Auld Grump

3 people like this

13 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

My interest went from 8 to 0 in a matter of seconds. :zombie:

I would have been very interested in the Bones terrain, and am not at all interested in a $150 game that allows you to add on the terrain.

The Auld Grump

Pretty much this. $150 to $300 for a game I don't have much interest in? Just to pick up the terrain I /am/ interested in? No, thank you.

The sculpts and what I can see of the paint jobs aren't sufficient to make up for that, sadly. Going to pass on this one. :/

3 people like this

The price point on this game pretty much GW'd me away from backing.

Sad, really.

Reverend Shartan

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Same ditto for sticker shock. Not a big Conan fan, and already have the Monolith game. 

However, they said that, for prepainted miniatures, the CMON stretch goal method of miniatures doesn't work well. License says they can't offer unpainted miniatures (?).

How Come More Miniatures Aren't Stretch Goals? We're offering all the miniatures up front this time, divided into two boxes—the Conqueror core set and the Warlord expansion. The problem with offering the miniatures in the Warlord Expansion as Stretch Goals is a little complicated if you haven't been run a Kickstarter yourself, but here's the situation for those who are interested. The usual way to get people excited about board and miniature games on Kickstarter is to offer a basic package then add to it as the project is successful until the package becomes too good to pass up. Most of the games that do this are able to do so because plastic minis on sprues are very inexpensive if you have enough quantity to make the molds in the first place. Conan: Rise of Monsters high-quality, painted miniatures means a higher cost per miniature (but we think it's still a fantastic bargain!). A typical plastic sprue might cost pennies, but our minis are assembled, painted, vacuum packaged, and come ready to play. When we followed this model the first time, it was hard to get to the Stretch Goals we accounted for because they were at fairly high levels to actually cover the costs. That means there's a sweet spot between what we want to be in the box and the price... just like every other non-Kickstarter project out there. Makes perfect sense, right? But since this is Kickstarter and we all want cool Stretch Goals, we decided the best thing for this project is to offer what we think is a fair deal for the game and minis, and then add all the other things we think add tremendous fun to the game.

See you at Bones IV! And Dwarven Forge! ::D:

Edited by ced1106
3 people like this

I like Conan, but I am not interested in this expensive game.  The King Conan miniature looks to me like his left shoulder is dislocated.

It is probably too obvious to be worth pointing out but the Barrow Mound add-on is a thinly disguised version of Kaladrax's base.  

I'm not sure why I feel the need to point this out other than because I noticed it.

2 people like this

They tease us with pics of the unpainted minis and then don't offer them that way! :(

They did say on facebook that the terrain would be available after fulfillment directly from them. I'll check that out, but I don't expect it to be financially viable to ship to Canada.

1 hour ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

It is probably too obvious to be worth pointing out but the Barrow Mound add-on is a thinly disguised version of Kaladrax's base.  

When you say "thinly disguised", do you mean "finally available for individual purchase"?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

This certainly is a record-setter. I've never lost interest in a campaign I was curious about this quickly. $150 for a base game full of pre-painted copies of not all that interesting sculpts (aside from the mammoth, the circle of iron side does nothing for me) is just too much for me to risk, and no terrain without a game is... oh well. Wasn't there something about a hut on chicken legs coming soon?

Edited by Arkady
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, etherial said:

When you say "thinly disguised", do you mean "finally available for individual purchase"?

It is an interesting re-appearance of this piece and makes you go "hmm."  But it is also kind of an odd choice.  According to legend Kaladrax wasn't meant to be as big as it ended up (so a 10 dollar add-on became a 75 dollar retail item) and you can see this in the detail on the base: the skulls are slightly too big, the casket hidden at the back is too large, and surface scoring too big. 

But it is still a very nice piece of scenery and the big size makes it useful as an independent item.

4 people like this

3 hours ago, etherial said:

Well, technically its a different version of the terrain in Kaly.  The statue is skeletal in this version.

2 people like this