SamuraiJack

CMON Rising Sun

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rising-sun?ref=category_newest

We’re thrilled to announce the date of CMON’s next exciting Kickstarter project! Rising Sun reunites the creative team behind Blood Rage, and you’ll get a chance to back it starting on March 7 at 3 PM EST!

About this project

8d259b2638dbd0a798198b6f7076d556_origina

Rising Sun is a board game for 3 to 5 players set in legendary feudal Japan. As the Kami descend from the heavens to reshape the land in their image, it is up to each player to lead their clan to victory. Use politics to further your cause, negotiate to seek the most profitable alliances, worship the Kami to gain their favor, recruit monsters out of legend to bolster your forces, and use your resources wisely to be victorious in battle. 

40dd561989ec4cbd0a067852bed4230b_origina

Created by acclaimed designer Eric M. Lang, Rising Sun reunites the same creative forces responsible for the smash hit Blood Rage, with stunning artwork by Adrian Smith and intricate miniatures sculpted under the direction of Mike McVey.

Choose your clan: Koi, Dragonfly, Bonsai, Lotus or Turtle. Choose your clan: Koi, Dragonfly, Bonsai, Lotus or Turtle.

Each of the five clans in Rising Sun brings not only their own individual set of ten beautifully detailed miniatures for their Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi units, but also a unique ability that sets them apart from the others and affects all players' strategies.

Koi (Flow, Like Water) - Ever adaptable, the Koi clan is able to use hired Ronin as coins and vice versa, giving them great flexibility and making their decisions very unpredictable.

Koi Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi. Koi Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi.

Dragonfly (Wings, Wind and Spirit) - Flying on gossamer wings, the Dragonfly clan is able to move anywhere on the map without restriction. You never know where they'll strike next.

Dragonfly Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi. Dragonfly Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi.

Bonsai (Humility, Earth and Root) - Ever growing and evergreen, the Bonsai clan needs to spend no coins when buying resources. Strongholds sprout from the ground and Upgrades to the clan blossom naturally.

Bonsai Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi. Bonsai Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi.

Lotus (Patience is key) - The Lotus clan dictates the flow of politics by turning the Political Mandates they play into anything they wish. A powerful ally to have at your side, and a terrible foe to betray.

Lotus Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi. Lotus Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi.

Turtle (Hard as the mind; delicate as steel) - The Turtle clan builds their Strongholds on top of the shells of giant legendary turtles. These indestructible fortresses can move around the map and even join in the fights for the provinces.

Turtle Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi. Turtle Daimyo, Shinto and Bushi.

Played over the course of a year, each Season in Rising Sun is divided into a Political phase, where players prepare their clans and set their plans in motion, and a War Phase, where dominance over each of the contested provinces is decided.

The Political Mandates. The Political Mandates.

During the Political phase, players choose among a restricted selection for a Political Mandate to play. These determine the actions all players may perform. They can Recruit new units on their Strongholds, Marshal their forces across the map, Train to upgrade their clan with Season cards, Harvest to reap the rewards of the provinces they dominate, or even Betray their ally to bring opposing forces to their side.

When players perform a Train Political Mandate, they are able to spend their coins to upgrade their clans with Season cards that bring all manner of new abilities. From Virtues that give you bonuses according to your actions, to Enhancements that improve your clan, to powerful Monsters that may join your clan, bringing with them amazing strength or other more devious benefits.

Komainu, Yurei and Oni of Spite. Komainu, Yurei and Oni of Spite.

Oni of Skulls and Oni of Souls. Oni of Skulls and Oni of Souls.

Oni of Hate and Oni of Blood. Oni of Hate and Oni of Blood.

River Dragon (all monsters are to scale with this human figure). River Dragon (all monsters are to scale with this human figure).

Alliances are formed. Alliances are broken. Alliances are formed. Alliances are broken.

At the start of each Season, players engage in a tea ceremony to negotiate new Alliances. Having the right ally and playing for mutual benefit (for a time) is often key to victory. Allies don't kill each other during war, and they also grant each other a unique bonus whenever they play a Political Mandate. Recruit extra units, build Strongholds when you Marshal, save coins when you Train, and reap a bountiful Harvest. However, the enticing Betrayal option always casts a shadow of doubt over Alliances.

eb7dcbd7bd589de411419c8db0f83b7e_origina

Do not be too quick to Betray your ally, though, for such an action brings dishonor to your clan. Honor is a tangible force in Rising Sun. Clans are always competing on a ladder for who is more or less honorable than the other. Having more Honor than your opponent gives you the upper hand on any ties in the game, from a dispute when worshipping a Kami, to deadly war on the provinces. But occasionally being dishonorable might also be a valid strategy, for upgrades such as the nightmarish Oni often favor those at the bottom of the Honor scale.

The Kami await the worshippers. The Kami await the worshippers.

When players Recruit their forces, they may choose to send their Shinto warriors to climb the mountains and go worship the mighty Kami. Three times per Season, each of these gods will grant their blessing upon the clan who worships them the most. The competition for the grace of the Kami can become fierce and change the course of the game. Each Kami grants a different benefit, from increased Honor, to extra Bushi, Ronin or coins. Only four of the seven Kami are used in each game, creating different dynamics each time you play.

71aa36edaa5f0dfba96cfa06b63d2501_origina

Each Season ends with the War phase. In each of the contested provinces, the warring players secretly bid their coins on the different War Advantages. Only the winner in each of the different options is allowed to execute them, allowing for dramatic shifts in the outcome of each battle, or cunning players coming out ahead even in defeat. Bluff your way through impossible odds and trick your opponents into needlessly wasting their coins. Sometimes losing a battle may win you the war.

When Winter comes, all politics and fighting are over. Players gain extra points for winning battles in as many different provinces as possible, and also for certain upgrades they may have gathered. As the snow falls, the new Emperor will ascend! 

Game Components:

• 58 Highly Detailed Miniatures, including 10 warriors for each clan and 8 huge monsters.
  • 40 Counter Bases
  • 137 Tokens
  • 5 Clan Screens
  • 5 Political Sheets
  • 53 Cards
  • 6-fold Gameboard
  • 1 Rulebook
  • Like 4

I will try to get in on this one.. But many good projects coming. CMON means this will be a $100 or $120 buy in, before add ons.

• Like 1

Fortunately for me, I have a friend that loves Asian themed games. So I'll just be a spectator on this one. Unless another crossover appears....

• Like 1

I've been watching Adrian tease images of this for months...  Soo tempted by it but KDM was supposed to be my before last KS with Bones IV wrapping it up...  Will have to roll a will save when the time comes.  

• Like 2

Unless CMON does something different, I'm probably in for the core and KS Exclusives.  Reading some of the gameplay notes on their page on Diplomacy, Negotiation and Combat was pretty enlightening.  And let's face it, I was the only kid I knew that watched the miniseries and read the book.  Probably read it at least three times by the time I graduated high school.  When I'm home sick, I will still often watch it on DVD because I know it will be 9 hours of Anjin-san with some really cool snippets of Feudel Japanese culture.  

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack

About
      Dark is the night as the dense smog falls once again on the streets of the East End. Shadows hustle from corner to corner, some trying to eke out a meagre living from the scraps of the Machine Age, some out on more nefarious errands, be it to cut a throat for a purse of pennies or to strike at the heart of their machinocratic betters.
      When Charles Babbage perfected his Analytical Engine, few could have predicted the social upheaval that would follow. Fuelled by coal, powered by increasingly complex and efficient steam engines, controlled by unfeeling machines and faceless bureaucrats, the pulsating heart of the British Empire is split asunder along the front-lines of the factory lords, the old and failing aristocracy and the huddled masses, especially those left behind by the uncaring pace of progress.
      In the East End, long a pit of the despaired and destitute, unrest is growing. Disaffected engineers and factory workers put out of work by increasing mechanisation are supplying anarchists and simple criminals with advanced tools for their illicit trades.
      Outside of the Capital, railway lines and steam-coach roads are plagued by the scourge of Highwaymen, an evil long thought gone from the modern age. Equipped with modern means of transportation and deadly-efficient weaponry, few dare to resist such a hold-up, and once the Peelers arrive, the villains have made off with their ill-gotten gains.
      To combat this wave of crime, Special Branch have set up a crack team to pinpoint and arrest key figures, hopefully before the situation boils over and creates an all-consuming deluge of Anarcho-Communard revolution and rampant crime.
      Set 01: Tarjack McGillivray and Apprentice, Burglars Extraordinaire
      Utilising a steam-powered grappling hook, Tarjack McGillivray is responsible for the most daring burglaries of the last decade. Able to scale the sheerest walls, he and his nameless apprentice have struck at the fortified city-homes of Coal and Railway barons alike, blasting open even the strongest vaults and safes with steel-tipped torpedo drills.
      Set 02: Anarchist Assassins
      Hiding from the smog and the watchful eye of Special Branch behind respirator mask, it is unknown from where these ruthless killers hail. All that is known is that they use bespoke hunting rifles to strike at prominent figures of the machine age, and it is feared that it is only a matter of time until they strike at Her Majesty herself.
      Set 03: Inspector Semaphore and Constable Chopham
      A gruff and unscrupulous man, Inspector Joseph Semaphore is Special Branch’s A-1 man to investigate the growing unrest in the seedier parts of Greater London. Well aware of the people’s dislike, the coppers only come in well-armed and in sufficient numbers to apprehend suspects.
      Set 04: Detectives Boyle and Cody
      Low on the ladder of Her Majesty’s Metropolitan Police Force, Boyle and Cody were noticed for their unconventional approach to Police work and drafted into Special Branch to assist Inspector Semaphore in his investigations.
      Set 05: John Halibut, RN (ret.) and Harry “The Hook”
      An old tar, Captain Halibut lost his arm in a boiler explosion in an action against Fenian gun-runners. Now on half-pay, he commands the Stevedores’ Chapter of the citizens’ watch, patrolling the streets of Poplar, assisted by his erstwhile steward, Harry “The Hook”. Ostensibly a respected citizen, it is rumoured that he holds more than a small grudge against the upper classes, and his loyalties, if put to the test in outright revolt, might be less than clear.
      Set 06: Florence Tempest and Henrietta Hammersmith, Night-fighting Ladies
      Following the ghastly Ripper murders, some of the women working the streets of Whitechapel decided to no longer put up with it and formed a covert militia. Armed with modern weapons supposedly designed by Mick Turnpike himself, they secretly patrol the district, striking fear into the hearts of all but the most vicious or insane.
      Set 07: The Two Jacobs, Concerned Citizens
      Tailor and Shoemaker by trade, Jacob Minsky and Jacob Rechtman took up arms to protect themselves and their community from protection rackets and the more prejudiced. They are part of the Whitechapel Chapter of the citizens’ watch and, while it is beneath their dignity to rat on their neighbours, are willing to cooperate with the police to maintain some semblance of order in the East End.
      Set 08: Charles and Edward Cholmondeley-Chapelcourt, Gentry Volunteers
      Unable to maintain their family estate in the economic upheavals of the Industrial Revolution, the Brothers Cholmondeley-Chapelcourt came to London, only to find little employ for educated, but untrained sons of the Gentry. Good manners, sharp wit and not too much condescension to the unwashed rabble of the lower classes landed them in Special Branch. 
      Set 09: The Galvanic Gentleman
      The wonders of the machine age are not just used for industry and commerce or other villainous activities. The mysterious stranger only known as The Galvanic Gentleman strikes from the shadows, wearing an armoured suit powered by Galvano-electric energy supplied by his trusty batman Alfred. Scores of villains have been left shocked senseless for the coppers to ferry off to Newgate.
    • By Disciple of Sakura
      So, I'm not gonna lie. At least half the reason I backed the Rising Sun kickstarter last year was simply to get my hands on this miniature. It was gorgeous, and I've been itching to paint up an Oriental lung dragon. Back in the heady days of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition, I got into RPGs, and the Monster Manual portrayed the Gold Dragons as the serpentine, Oriental dragon types, and I have always felt a strong level of appreciation for that aesthetic specifically for the gold dragon. I got the KS about two weeks ago, have already played it twice with friends, and having finished my massive T'Raukzul, I decided to go ahead and paint the monsters from the Rising Sun core game. I knocked it out in 2 days. Enjoy, and I'm happy to hear about where I could improve.

• By pcktlnt
      Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/zombicide-green-horde/ 

Zombicide: Green Horde is a cooperative board game for 1 to 6 players that is both a standalone game, and fully compatible with Zombicide: Black Plague and its expansions! Players control a party of medieval fantasy survivors as they fight to rid the land of an invasion of zombie orcs controlled by the game itself. Survivors find weapons, learn spells, battle zombies, and gain experience. The more experienced they get, the more powerful they become, but the more zombies rise to face them!

Zombicide: Green Horde expands upon the fantasy universe introduced by Zombicide: Black Plague. A new group of Survivors of different species will bring their unique expertise to the fight against the undead armies threatening to crush the kingdom. As they explore the ravaged villages, Survivors gather all manner of equipment to aid them in their quest. From swords, hammers, bows, and armor, to magic scrolls and flasks of dragon bile! All of that equipment is neatly displayed in each Survivor's plastic dashboard, with appropriate slots for each type of card, as well as trackers for wounds, skills, and experience.

Some of the equipment in Green Horde have a special synergy with other equipment. For example, carrying a Norse Sword is certainly not bad at all. However, it will become a lot more effective, rolling 2 extra dice, if you also manage to equip a Norse Shield on your other hand!

The Survivors will need to be well prepared to deal with the new menace they'll face: Orc Zombies! When the black plague hit the orc tribes, it spread like wildfire, creating a swarm of undead brutes. Orc zombies are stronger than their human counterparts, being able to tear apart the most resilient of Survivors. An attack from an Orc Walker deals 2 wounds, while the attack of an Orc Fatty or Abomination deals a whopping 3 wounds! The little Goblin Runners only deal 1 Wound per attack, but they are fast and numerous, so don't judge them by their size. And finally, while the Orc Necromancer is not very deadly in itself, you'll want to eliminate it quickly, as its powers bring even more Orc Zombies onto the board. As lethal as the Orc Zombies are, probably the scariest thing about them is their ability to launch surprise attacks by unleashing an overwhelming horde against the Survivors. Every time an Orc Zombie spawn card is drawn, one extra zombie of the indicated type is added to a "Horde area" outside the board. As the game progresses, players will watch with dread as the looming threat of the horde grows in number, just out of sight. When an "Enter the Horde!" card is drawn, all miniatures in the Horde area are placed in the spawning Zone. The situation just got a lot more dire!

To give them a fighting chance against the green horde, the Survivors have gotten their hands on a mighty trebuchet! This ingenious catapult can hurl all manner of payloads across great distances, striking powerful blows against the undead invaders. This siege engine is extremely difficult to operate, requiring 3 actions to either push it to the next zone, or to fire it against the enemy. However, the Trebuchet can fire at any zone in the game (and even against the looming Horde), with no regard to distance or line of sight. Survivors can also choose among 3 types of ammunition to use, from a scattershot that can decimate a swarm of Walkers, to a boulder that can kill an Abomination if aimed right!

Zombicide: Green Horde expands the action into the outskirts of the kingdom, where the villages blend with picturesque crops and hedges. The crops have withered in the abandoned villages, and some streets are flooded with the irrigation water, but these features create new challenges and opportunities for Survivors. Waterhole zones slow down the Survivors (and douse Dragon Fire), but some of their edges are steep ledges that Zombies are unable to climb out of, forcing them to make a detour while you run for safety. Hedges block line of sight, but not movement, allowing Survivors to play a dangerous game of hide and seek with the Zombies (however, you never know what might be waiting on the other side of a hedge).

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamenightlife/gnl-mats?ref=category_newest

About this project

GameNightLife is a small group of gaming enthusiasts. We really are that scrappy, upstart startup that you think about: no marketing team, no "social media experts," no businesspeople. Just a few people who have so much fun with tabletop gaming that we want to share it with the world.
      So, because of that, we're happy to finally be able to give everyone something we always wanted---a gaming tile that:
      Can cover any size or shape table. Works with any kind of marker. Cleans up easily and quickly. Withstands spills and "snackccidents." Lets you have a proper chase scene. Doesn't slide around on the table. Is affordable.  

This whole project is simple and to-the-point, the way we think gaming stuff should be.
      Our Goal:
      We're asking for $50,000 because that is the absolute minimum required for a production run. The factory can't make these for a reasonable price without the massive order.
      We know that many people have voiced a desire for a mat like this, so we feel confident that we will meet our goal.
      We are even more confident in our ability to deliver the product in a timely manner (possibly even ahead of schedule). The production facility is ready to start as soon as the Kickstarter concludes. Production will take 1 to 2 months, depending on the size of our order. Shipping is expected to take about 4 weeks (literally depending on weather, and other factors, including the size of the order)
  • Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)