SamuraiJack

Live
CMON Rising Sun

153 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2017 at 8:33 AM, aku-chan said:

I've noticed in a few other places, that there is now a thing about this game being horribly racist, what the heck happened?

Where are these other places?  I've searched and can find nothing.

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

Where are these other places?  I've searched and can find nothing.

You can find some threads along those lines on BGG. It's mostly regarding the use of the rising sun flag as the victory point symbol.

On 3/22/2017 at 7:32 PM, redambrosia said:

The update says they're resin.

Thanks for calling my attention to this.  I'm only in it for the minis.  If they are plastic, my motivation has wavered.  I love the figures, but they will probably be pretty awful in plastic.

I'm reconsidering.

I noted that.  So....how good?

Say, in comparison to the "average" Bones mini and in comparison with the average Reaper metal mini?  IMHO, the basic problems with plastic are that detail gets smoothed our (or off) and the creases tend to get rounded out and sometimes disappear.

Difficult, because I feel Bones has a huge range as far as detail is concerned. I'd say Blood Rage miniatures are as good as the best Bones miniatures, maybe even a bit better.

Thargor-Rnd03-Blood_Rage_Raven_Clan.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with those miniatures. Now I only wish I could paint like this ...

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

CMON has about as high quality boardgame plastic as you can get, a little better than Reaper and MUCH better than most retail boardgame plastic. However, if you are really looking for detailed miniatures for painting, I'd look at hobby plastic, resin, or metal instead. You only have so much time to paint, and I think it's better to spend your money to paint fewer better miniatures. I paint to advanced tabletop, stop before I wreck my paintjob, and am happy with them. I also think many of these figures will be multi-piece, which means, you'll have to disassemble them to remove the mold lines. Ugh.

pic2853579_md.jpg

Edited by ced1106
2 people like this

Thanks for posting those photos.  If CMON plastics are as good as those pictured, I think I'll stay.  I can't think of another way to get a huge range of feudal Japanese troops and myths in one package.  And, with the add-ons and stretch goals, pretty cheap per mini.

That's exactly my reasoning ... I have no Samurai / Japanese miniatures at all, so this is a good start for me ... rank & file NPCs. I can go hunting for awesome character miniatures later ... ;)

My *bleeping* problem is that I don't think I can do these figures justice! ::D:

I do anticipate an irritating amount of disassembly and mold line cleaning, because I think there're more multipiece pre-assembled miniatures than, say, the Zombicide games.

I think if this were an Ameritrash game, such as a miniatures skirmish game, I might be pledging. But it's a hybrid, and I'm not a fan of the Eric Lang games I've played. OTOH, If you like negotiation and Eurogames, you should pledge. Reaper has only shown some models for its Bones IV, so I don't know what Japanese (or Old West) figures we'll get during Bones IV -- or other KS from other companies, for that matter. I'd hate to drop $100 on (and commit to painting!) Japanese or Old West mini's, only to find that Bones IV has ones I could use. The Japanese mini's in Bones III and Savage Worlds western mini's in Bones II (?) were certainly very nice!

ffa7c86eaaab4e7c1d751e0d11e37d03_origina

I almost bought two of that pack for another Oni.

1 person likes this

:sigh: I remembered the tree and reinstated my pledge. And the kaiju. And...well...the other cool monsters.

dagnabit.

3 people like this

Still on the fence, I have many of the Legend of the Five Rings armies and monsters, that are still in box and unpainted plus what's coming in Bones 3 so I'm good with asian themed minis. And I really, really shouldn't spend the money on this. But there are some good looking minis in this game.

1 person likes this

I love those Reaper Bones Tengus, Kitsune, Onis etc ... but Rising Sun provides a lot more. If Bones IV has a lot of Japanese themed minis (which we don't know yet), I think they will be different enough ...

1 person likes this