SamuraiJack

Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago

I was ok with them, until I realized there were no tails. I'll still get a set, but I have enough minis that need converting to want to get more.

Halber

• Like 2

I'm fine with the snakemen being kind of dumpy. That's a plus in my book. I was expecting them to have snake tails instead of legs but this is still good.

On 2/11/2018 at 6:34 PM, Crowley said:

So, pics of the snakemen plastics are starting to circulate..  and... I'm... not really impressed.

27750132_610649877817_480010179385498949

27657836_610649902767_389720403589648689

27858295_610649927717_847551353947756232

I kinda wish I liked them more, but... 

The proportions look wrong. The center body is too thick I think. Should be skinnier? And no tail? They're very forward/top heavy... It's too bad there isn't a legless bottom half option in the kit. 

I love Reptilians, but these don't do it for me.

I will stick to the Reaper Nagendra then.

Bones IV will have 6 more cheap beautiful Snakepeople..

• Like 4

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Elephantman from the Bones 3 Kickstarter "Savage Avatars" set so I can order a couple to play the role of Erithereans from the Bestiary.  But that is a couple months away, and we've already started our campaign.

I was just going to be content to wait, until a friend sent me a link to some photo of some fantasy figures a guy had made by chopping the heads off of dollar store animals, and gluing them to the bodies of 28mm plastic medieval figures.  The little lightbulb went on in my brain...I had just seen a small elephant figure in a box of junk, and I knew I had a spare Bones Bugbear laying around somewhere...

I found the elephant and the Bugbear, but I had borrowed the Bugbear's weapon hand for an Orc a while back. So, a quick dig in the bits box, and I came up with what I believe is a GW Ogre weapon hand.

fullsizeoutput_2f0c.jpeg

A little bit of sawing, and I had this.  

fullsizeoutput_2f0e.jpeg

It was just a matter of gluing it all together then.  

I now need to greenstuff around the head to blend it to the body, and I think I will add some ears.  I'm not sure if I will leave him with Bugbear feet, or go to the trouble to sculpt them into something more elephant-like.  Generally, though, I'm very happy with the results!fullsizeoutput_2f0f.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Looks good!  He's got mismatched fingers, though.

I'd say if you just trim down the Bugbear toe talons to be a flat toenail instead, that would go a long way to the Elephant resemblance.

I was really happy to see the Erithereans in Ghost Archipelago.  I love elephants, and had just painted the Savage Avatars Zulu Elephant.  It gave me motivation to paint the other Reaper Elephant Man I had been sitting on for a decade:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Elephantman from the Bones 3 Kickstarter "Savage Avatars" set so I can order a couple to play the role of Erithereans from the Bestiary.  But that is a couple months away, and we've already started our campaign.

I was just going to be content to wait, until a friend sent me a link to some photo of some fantasy figures a guy had made by chopping the heads off of dollar store animals, and gluing them to the bodies of 28mm plastic medieval figures.  The little lightbulb went on in my brain...I had just seen a small elephant figure in a box of junk, and I knew I had a spare Bones Bugbear laying around somewhere...

I found the elephant and the Bugbear, but I had borrowed the Bugbear's weapon hand for an Orc a while back. So, a quick dig in the bits box, and I came up with what I believe is a GW Ogre weapon hand.

<snip>

A little bit of sawing, and I had this.  

fullsizeoutput_2f0e.jpeg

It was just a matter of gluing it all together then.  

<snip>

I now need to greenstuff around the head to blend it to the body, and I think I will add some ears.  I'm not sure if I will leave him with Bugbear feet, or go to the trouble to sculpt them into something more elephant-like.  Generally, though, I'm very happy with the results!

That's excellent!! I agree, shave down the claws to a more blunt look for the feet. 

The real question, what are you going to do with a bugbear headed elephant??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

Looks good!  He's got mismatched fingers, though.

I'd say if you just trim down the Bugbear toe talons to be a flat toenail instead, that would go a long way to the Elephant resemblance.

I was really happy to see the Erithereans in Ghost Archipelago.  I love elephants, and had just painted the Savage Avatars Zulu Elephant.  It gave me motivation to paint the other Reaper Elephant Man I had been sitting on for a decade:

Thanks! 

Yes, I know the hands are slightly different size, but I was hoping once they are painted the same color it might be less noticeable.  :ph34r:

That's a good idea about trimming the talons, I'll have to try it.  I also don't know if I should trim feet fur, or try to fill it in maybe?

I love your Harapan!  I don't think I had seen that figure before.

21 hours ago, Crowley said:

That's excellent!! I agree, shave down the claws to a more blunt look for the feet. 

The real question, what are you going to do with a bugbear headed elephant??

Thanks!  

Dang, I wish you hadn't put that idea in my head... now I'm going to have to make it happen! :lol:  It doesn't a matter what I will do with it, it has to be done now in the name of science! ::P:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Thanks! 

Yes, I know the hands are slightly different size, but I was hoping once they are painted the same color it might be less noticeable.  :ph34r:

That's a good idea about trimming the talons, I'll have to try it.  I also don't know if I should trim feet fur, or try to fill it in maybe?

I love your Harapan!  I don't think I had seen that figure before.

Thanks!  

Dang, I wish you hadn't put that idea in my head... now I'm going to have to make it happen! :lol:  It doesn't a matter what I will do with it, it has to be done now in the name of science! ::P:

I was actually referring to that Reaper Bugbears have 3 fingers and a thumb, Ogres/Ogors from Warhammer have 4 fingers and a thumb.

Harapan was a limited edition for Indian Tsunami relief.  Every Elephant, animal or animal-man, that Reaper has put out is currently out of print (as the Savage Avatars one is not yet released).  I'm still trying to track down the P-65 one.

Sadly, a Kickstarter I backed that had a faction of Elephantmen, "Parallax: Warband" is looking to be the only Kickstarter I backed that will never deliver.

Edited by Lidless Eye
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

I was actually referring to that Reaper Bugbears have 3 fingers and a thumb, Ogres/Ogors from Warhammer have 4 fingers and a thumb.

Harapan was a limited edition for Indian Tsunami relief.  Every Elephant, animal or animal-man, that Reaper has put out is currently out of print (as the Savage Avatars one is not yet released).  I'm still trying to track down the P-65 one.

Sadly, a Kickstarter I backed that had a faction of Elephantmen, "Parallax: Warband" is looking to be the only Kickstarter I backed that will never deliver.

Doh! I can't believe I totally missed the mismatched finger count!   I just assumed...:blink:   I wonder how hard it would be to add a finger to that Bugbear hand, as I worry about cutting one off the sword hand without breaking it off the wrist. Hmmm...

Sorry to hear about your Kickstarter; so far I've been lucky.  I suspect Northstar will be coming out with some sort of Elephantman eventually too, since it is doing the official figures for the game.  How cool would a Ghost Archipelago plastic Elephantman set be, though that is unlikely I suspect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Doh! I can't believe I totally missed the mismatched finger count!   I just assumed...:blink:   I wonder how hard it would be to add a finger to that Bugbear hand, as I worry about cutting one off the sword hand without breaking it off the wrist. Hmmm...

Sorry to hear about your Kickstarter; so far I've been lucky.  I suspect Northstar will be coming out with some sort of Elephantman eventually too, since it is doing the official figures for the game.  How cool would a Ghost Archipelago plastic Elephantman set be, though that is unlikely I suspect.

It would be cool, but I doubt you'd be able to have Erithereans for count-as Humans like the other plastic warbands have been.  Their stats and size from the Bestiary have been a bit off for that.

• Like 2

Eh, ignore the finger count! No one will notice it on the table. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Eh, ignore the finger count! No one will notice it on the table. 

Normally I would agree with you and just let it be; but I have to get the greenstuff out anyway to blend the head and do the ears, so I might as well give him the finger :lol: anyway.  

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1