TheAuldGrump

Spelljammer/Starjammer - Background - Megans Allowed!

Space squids are serious bizness!

I think Grump is missing the point on Spelljammer.

But his game is sounding good. It's just not the lighthearted silliness of Spelljammer. (To hell with the kraken! Release the SPACE HAMSTERS!!)

• Like 2

Ditching the Horror Adventures aspect, but instead grabbing Occult Adventures - which works better on the homeworlds arc.

Using Fractal Terrains to create quick and dirty random world maps for the campaign - most of those worlds will be seen mostly as port cities. There may be three or four ports on a busy world - though a starjammer can be used to sail from port to port on a single world just as much as from port to port in a star spanning empire.

Expanding on the bare bones that I started with means that it is going to take a lot more time than I originally planned - though Megan still wants to do a shared campaign as well - she has a plan for her own little area of the galaxy.

The Auld Grump - the Worst Internet In The World is being worse than usual....

• Like 2

Another night, another dream... this time I was modding this figure -

77180_w_1.jpg

Giving her a ukulele and a grass skirt...

By the time I woke up, they had multiplied into an entire atoll of hula dancing spider people. (And the island called Island of the Spider Women, in spite of there being just as many Spider Men as Spider Women, because... sailors. Somewhere, among the starjammers, there will be sailors that go 'yeah, I'd tap that'. :rolleyes:)

Friendly, welcoming, happy hula dancing spider people - that are glad to see starjammers coming to visit.

And no sign of any ulterior motives....

Which means, I need to get more of this figure - while I have one that I gave a fiddle, I have not given any ukuleles, nor grass skirts.

It looks like the Wood Driders are about to go Hawaiian on me....

*EDIT* With a warrior culture that has been peaceful for half a millennium....

The Auld Grump - most of the hula dancing driders are about half that size - but some are ginormous....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6

On 23-4-2017 at 9:31 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Another night, another dream... this time I was modding this figure -

Giving her a ukulele and a grass skirt...

By the time I woke up, they had multiplied into an entire atoll of hula dancing spider people. (And the island called Island of the Spider Women, in spite of there being just as many Spider Men as Spider Women, because... sailors. Somewhere, among the starjammers, there will be sailors that go 'yeah, I'd tap that'. :rolleyes:)

Friendly, welcoming, happy hula dancing spider people - that are glad to see starjammers coming to visit.

And no sign of any ulterior motives....

Which means, I need to get more of this figure - while I have one that I gave a fiddle, I have not given any ukuleles, nor grass skirts.

It looks like the Wood Driders are about to go Hawaiian on me....

*EDIT* With a warrior culture that has been peaceful for half a millennium....

The Auld Grump - most of the hula dancing driders are about half that size - but some are ginormous....

Currently working on her myself.

You may want to link that pic because of the Nudity Rules.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 4:31 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Suddenly imagining fuzzy-wuzzy jumping spider driders.

• Like 2

On 04/11/2017 at 11:11 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

Now I am picturing an amorous Space Kraken that wants to cuddle the player's ship.

On 04/29/2017 at 5:31 PM, Cranky Dog said:

Suddenly imagining fuzzy-wuzzy jumping spider driders.

Those would frighten Jenny to no end!

Oh, wait! Have the giant Hula Driders think of the small jumping fuzzies as savage pigmies! Or maybe they can BE savage pigmies!

Can I have my own tropical spider island? Please?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

Now I am picturing an amorous Space Kraken that wants to cuddle the player's ship.

Those would frighten Jenny to no end!

Oh, wait! Have the giant Hula Driders think of the small jumping fuzzies as savage pigmies! Or maybe they can BE savage pigmies!

Can I have my own tropical spider island? Please?

I am pretty sure that Babylon 5 Crusade had a scene with a space squid doing just that to the Excalibur.... 'I thought you said these creatures aren't aggressive!'

'They aren't.'

'Then why is it attacking?!'

'It's not attacking.'

'Then what is it... no... no, not my ship!'

'I told you, they're not very bright....'

::P:

I... actually like the idea of two groups of tropical driders - with the smaller ones being both more primitive and more aggressive... it fits the miniatures, too.

77182_w_1.jpg

77181_w_1.jpg

Do some weapon swaps, and use some green stuff to give them a case of the fuzzies.... I think that it would work.

Making the smaller ones more Evil might work, too - make them the ones sacrificing folks to the volcano goddess. (Did you know that the virgins sacrificed to Pele were virgin boys, not girls? And that there are a lot of volcanoes named Pele, not just the one in Hawaii?)*

But if you want the Spider Islands... we may be able to come to an agreement - but only for a return trip - I have some ideas for the first one.

The Auld Grump - but I really do want the big ones to be friendly - I think that it is funnier that way. :lol:

* Lecture Mode: Engaged!

*EDIT* Oh, poo! I just placed an order with Reaper on Friday, and forgot to get some of the Spider Demons!

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

Orcs....

Playing some games with the orcs - making them less Evil, while keeping the Chaotic.

When you know one orc, you know one orc.

Their cultures are all about personal freedoms - which can run from 'I take what I want, from whomever I can take it from' to 'If one is enslaved then all are men are slaves - freedom for all!'

Some are in fact cannibals - they need the meat.

Others are closer to being true omnivores, or even vegetarians.

Naming convention, among the spacefarers, is one 'human name' and one 'orc name' - where the 'orc name' may or may not be what they are called in their home ports. Sometimes the 'orc name' is the name of their home port - the direct equivalent  of John Kanaka, or Liverpool Jarge.

And orcs have a lot of home ports - there are a lot of orcs, and they are spread all over the universe.

Rather than 'helms' space riggers have spirits - embodied in two places - with the primary being the figurehead. (the other is in fact the helm...).

The personality of a ship also affects the kinds of people that are likely to crew and command the ship - and a few ships have gone completely off the deep end, sailing forever through space, with crew (often undead or outsiders) that steal lives from their ports o' call. (Think the Flying Dutchman')

Like some other types of magi item, they have Egos.

The Auld Grump - I'm the only tar what ever jumped ship from Van der Decken's crew, and that's about the strangest thing that ever a man can do.....

*EDIT* Yes, Autocorrupt, Orc is a word! So stop changing it!

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

Megan thinks that I should call the campaign Tradewinds.... Since a good deal of the time the PCs will be merchants - Merchant Adventurers.

Which brings up an odd bit - Hazards.

Do I want some for of Space Storms? (There are 'winds' and 'currents', so....)

I already know that I want to have a doldrum - a backwater where the currents do not flow, where ships can be stranded forever....

Do I also want something like hurricanes?

Whirlpools? Do I want gravitic anomalies? (Black holes, by any other name....)

Reefs are easy - asteroids.

The Auld Grump

Ship worms become even more of an issue in space,

a slow leak on the ocean is what bilge pumps are for (or kobalds with buckets),

in space the worms eating through the hull mean your air leaving the ship, better get that patched double quick, chop chop (and no sticking a Kobald in the hole isn't allowed, they're crew)

Fortunately, space is filled with luminous aether, and folks can breathe in space, just like Batman!

Less facetiously, ships actually are traveling in the boundaries of the Ethereal Plane - not the Prime Material, so the rules are a lot floppier. Folks can see into the Prime material, but navigation relies on magic - whether that of a wizard, cleric, or innate powers of the figurehead.

Some spell casters can even create islands within the boundary, which in some cases remain even after the caster leaves.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

For some reason, the idea of a spider woman dancing to this puts a smile on my face....

*EDIT* I am going to have to find more Hawaiian music... I still like the idea of friendly, welcoming, dancing tropical driders.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

Hmmm... D20PFSRD.Com currently has a bundle, until the end of July, of all their own PDFs - including the Starjammer rules....

Enough in the bundle to be worth it for the Starjammer stuff alone.

14076_G.jpg

I am Blaarghestafl III and I approve this message.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

I had a dream last night that took care of one of the mechanical aspects of the game - introducing two Great Whorls - one current above the stellar plane, called the Fire Whorl - rotating clockwise.

Another current below the stellar plane, called the Frost Whorl - rotating widdershins.

Smaller whorls are associated with each of the Great Whorls - those inside of the Great Whorls are called Inner Whorls, while those on the outside are called Outer Whorls - and those lesser whorls are how you get to the planets you want to visit.

Some inner and outer whorls are lose enough that you can do a figure 8 maneuver, and set up a minor but regular route.

However - the Great Whorls are not entirely regular in shape - interacting with some vast shore that can only be perceived by how it shapes the currents - in particular there are two Horns in each of the Great Whorls that produce some... mighty rough passages, including two Maelstroms. (Each are Inner Whorls that drop down into a nasty reach of space - ship killing whirlpools.)

There are times that I love being a lucid dreamer!

And I am stealing one of the plots from this game, and am transplanting it to the kids game.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1