Okari

Master series paint contest rules question

Hello! I have a question on the upcoming ReaperCon this year. For the Master series paint open contest rules on the page https://reapercon.com/contestI could not find anything regarding personally designed Models that an artist  3D prints and then paints.

for use as an example:

tumblr_inline_okk2ggjENQ1siwstt_1280.png

That is my first attempt at a model I personally designed in Blender, and then printed, in the style of warhammer 40k, though as a mention I really like the look of the grav-flux bombard from forgeworld so I created a very close facsimile of it for my model.

Under the rules I'm seeing I'm assuming that in the Painters Division it would not matter if it is 3D printed given the source of the model is not given consideration, just the prep and painting quality.

However I'm curious what, if any, the ruling on 3D designed and printed models are in the Open Division. Given the rules and the scoring system, sculpted models are judged by design originality, creativity, difficulty, etc, would a custom designed 3D printed model enjoy the same criteria for judging, or would it even be welcome in this division? Arguably this could extend to the diorama and vehicle division as well given the criteria in those.

I would like to argue that 3D designed and printed models should be welcome in any division; my design time alone for the model I gave as an example was clocked at 60+ hours. And while my tools and medium are different than a clay or greenstuff sculptor, I don't put any less passion or hard work into it.

• Like 1

Generally, models that are sculpted digitally are treated the same as ones that are traditionally sculpted. I don't know if any specific examples, but I am sure someone else does. There are very, very talented digital sculpters that judge this contest and I imagine they would love to have a custom digital sculpt entered.

Currently there are no sculptors on the judging teams. That doesn't mean that there won't be any for ReaperCon 2017 as the teams have not yet been drawn up and probably won't be for a number of months yet as we don't fully know who will be attending.

That being said all of the people we are likely to tap as judges would certainly be able to judge how well a miniature is sculpted. The category you enter defines how we judge something. If it goes in painters then we aren't going to care to much if it's an original sculpt, we are looking at the paint work. I would have no problem with it going into open as an original sculpt, just remember that the quality of the printing could cause you more work to make it presentable as the quality of the printing is going to come into play.

• Like 2

I actually did 3D print and enter in last year's contest, in the Open division. I considered the Vehicle division, but decided that having it as an original sculpt would help it more in the Open than the Vehicle. Not sure it did or not, but I came home with a bronze. The paint job wasn't superb (I decided to restart 3 weeks prior to the contest), so it probably could have scored a bit better had I the time.

In case it helps, here's the link my page from last year's entries: Artist Page

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply's and information everyone! I'm happy to hear I should be able to consider entering a 3D model into the competition. I only live a couple hours away from the convention and have thought about going a couple times. Maybe this years the year!

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply's and information everyone! I'm happy to hear I should be able to consider entering a 3D model into the competition. I only live a couple hours away from the convention and have thought about going a couple times. Maybe this years the year!

Just one last thought. I mentioned print quality, and its definitely an issue with the photograph of the mini you posted. You can see the layers on the mini as the 3D printer built up the model. You either need a much better quality printer or be prepared to fix that in your prep stages.

• Like 1

Just one last thought. I mentioned print quality, and its definitely an issue with the photograph of the mini you posted. You can see the layers on the mini as the 3D printer built up the model. You either need a much better quality printer or be prepared to fix that in your prep stages.

Thank you for the feedback! I totally agree with you. I made that more as a proof of concept than anything else. Always wanted a dreadnought, but could never convince myself to pick one up. printer I have can go down to .02mm and that was printed at .1mm, additionally I was purposely playing with overhangs to see what I could and couldn't expect to come out well. I may make a post about what I've learned from it, but I figure that is best for a different forum section.

• Like 2

Okari, just for reference, that print I linked to was probably done at .2mm. Something at .02mm should work phenomenally in comparison.

• Like 1

If you haven't been to an open style competition before, you might not know that you can include some additional information with your entry. You'll be given a card with the entry number on it to display next to the entry. You should definitely write on it that it's a scratch 3D sculpt. You are also welcome to include additional info like a photo of the render, and/or of the print before you paint it, or a copy of a sketch you might have done in the planning stages, a brief description of the creation process, stuff like that.

• Like 5

If you haven't been to an open style competition before, you might not know that you can include some additional information with your entry. You'll be given a card with the entry number on it to display next to the entry. You should definitely write on it that it's a scratch 3D sculpt. You are also welcome to include additional info like a photo of the render, and/or of the print before you paint it, or a copy of a sketch you might have done in the planning stages, a brief description of the creation process, stuff like that.

And make sure that you do this!
  • Like 2

And make sure that you do this!

Must remember to do this for this year...

Yes, the more information the better, Especially for original sculpts or major conversions. If you have done a conversion right then we won't know its a conversion, The same would be true for a 3D sculpt, if I don't know you built the files and its an original piece I have no way of knowing after you have painted it,

As a point of fact you do not lose any "points" the system doesn't really work like that. That being said depending on what category you are in something is going to be looked at and rated more highly than other aspects, Obviously in the Painter category we are looking mostly at the painting skill:

• Difficulty           5%
  • Creativity        10%
  • Workmanship 10%
  • Painting Skill   70%
  • Presentation    5%

As compared to the Open Category were painting is important but nearly as important as it is in Painters

• Difficulty          15%
  • Creativity         10%
  • Workmanship  30%
  • Painting Skill    30%
  • Presentation    15%

Those are the guidelines the judges use for the two different categories. Its also why there are three judges and each of them assigns every piece a score from 0-4 (are these the points you are talking about Knarthex?). Those scores are added together and the total score determines what medal you have earned:

11-12 points - Gold

8-10 points - Silver

5-7 points - Bronze

2-4 points - Certificate of Merit

0-1 point - No award

I'm don't know which piece you are referring to Knarthex but I be interested in seeing which one it is on the ReaperCon 2016 Gallery. Remember that there are also multiple judging teams so not every judge looked at every piece.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Okay, we do have some manufacturer awards for the Reaper Con 2018 Painting Competition. This is what I know so far:
      Dark Sword: 
      Dark Sword Diorama Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Diorama
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Diorama

Dark Sword Single Miniature Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Single Miniature
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Single Miniature

Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms Anthropomorphic Animals Open Category:
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.
      $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms

Dark Sword Young Painter Category (Age 13 and under):
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our young painters.

$100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for best overall Dark Sword Young Painter
      $50 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Young Painter

The Dark Sword Miniatures Manufacturer Awards are open to all painters. To be eligible for the prize support listed, the entries must be new entries, never before posted online or entered into any other painting competitions. In addition, no entries can be commissions from Dark Sword Miniatures for painted studio models. This means Dark Sword studio painters can enter if they so desire, but their entries must be brand new creations not commissioned from Dark Sword and must also adhere to the eligibility requirements above.

Kabuki - 300 Euro Prize for the best Kabuki Miniature, regardless of category, in the painting competition. We are looking for a way to involve Rodolfo in the judging this year.

Bombshell Miniatures
      Bombshell Miniatures presents the 2018 Golden Maelee Awards. This is a Sponsored Award section of the annual Reaper Master Series Open Painting Contest. Entries will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Maelee trophies.

Entries will need to feature at least one or more Bombshell Miniatures as the prominent subject. This can be anything from Babes, Sidekicks, Kritterkins, to robots, or busts. Each entry will be judged on its own merit of painting execution, presentation, and skill.

Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible.

Scale 75
      Best Scale 75 75MM or Bust
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store. 

Best Smog Rider (CHIBI)
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store.

Bet Scale 75 piece overall piece by a junior
               Smog Rider Starter set.

Talon Games

Best Individual CAV Model: Any single-model figure.

Best CAV "Squad": This category allows for multiple models (minimum four
      models) as part of a cohesive squad.

Best CAV Diorama: This category covers models with a scenic base where the
      entry is telling a story to the viewer and may include multiple models.

Each category winner will receive a $100 Talon Games Gift Certificate and a
      Trophy.

This first post in the thread will be updated with other manufacturers as we receive them.
    • By Rob Dean
      TL;DR: I don't understand tightly linked figure and rules ranges.

I was writing my Huzzah report for my blog this morning, and one thing led to another.  My collaborator and I agreed at the convention that next year's game(s) was(were) going to be something using the combined resources of our 16th century home cast 40mm projects.  So, yesterday I dug out my bags of castings to see what I should start working on, and, after blogging this morning I decided that the proper thing to do was to muster the troops on the table and see what I really had. (My last inventory is both hidden somewhere and probably suspect anyway.)

So, there they are: 4 artillery pieces, 18 assorted cavalry stands, 10 stands of pikes and pike command, 5 stands of swordsmen, 4 stands of improvised converted crossbowmen, and 8 stands of musketeers. (Three need repairs, which I can do today now that I've had them laid out.)  

The story that goes with these figures is this:

I have been interested in the 16th century, and the warfare of the 16th century, for longer than I can remember.  It's probably a combination of being an early music enthusiast and being exposed to Sir Charles Oman's History of the Art of War in the Sixteenth Century at an impressionable age.  In the early years of the current phase of my interest in the miniatures hobby (starting around 1987, say) I would play 16th century games at the conventions when I could, but never started my own project, being intimidate by painting all those Landsknechts.  

By the time our club, the HAWKs, had started in 1994, I was already casting some of my own figures from commercial molds.  Chris Palmer, also a member of this board, and I both had fairly extensive mold collections, including two non-compatible 40mm 18th century sets.  Mine were Prince August, and his Nuernberger Meisterzinn. He also had a Meisterzinn catalog.  I don't know much about Meisterzinn, but they were already a zombie company (things kept in production but no new products) by 1994.  They had a small range of 16th century molds, and I thought that it would be an interesting challenge to collect them, cast up some figures, and put a game together.  A set of rules called Armati had just come out, with a Renaissance section and provision for playing with a single stand as a unit, so I used that as the basis for my casting.

It took, as these things do, a couple of years to get things done to the point of playing games with them.  Not long after that, Chris decided to build some 40mm Leonardo da Vinci machines to go with them, inspired by a number of games of Leonardo Plus which were run at the cons for a few years.  Those rules didn't suit our collections, though, so we ended up staging a game using home rules at Cold Wars in 1999.  

After that, the figures got put away for a while, until Ross and I ended up in discussions about how difficult it would be to convert enough of the figures to form the basis of a 16th century English army (still using the longbow).  From there, we ended up deciding to put on a game in 2004 using a scenario from the Anglo-Scots Wars of the 1540s.  The siege of Haddington in 1548 was nearly a perfect match for our hodgepodge collections, with mercenaries from all over Europe participating on one side or the other.  Once again, we had to write rules to suit our collection of miniatures.  My pictures of that game are unfortunately pre-digital, and buried somewhere.  We even got an award from the convention for that one, because it was unusual and eye-catching.

Since then, we dust them off every few years, revise the rules again to taste, and set to.  If I'm at home, I'm somewhat limited by my collection, but I can still put on a decent two player game:

I still haven't managed to get to the Siege of Malta in 1565, but Ross wants to do Turks this next year, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, after all of that, my point and question is this:

With my DIY background, I have a hard time understanding what seems to me to be the ever increasing trend of players buying into tightly linked figure and rules lines.  I see posts/listen to podcasts/conversations/etc. in which people grouse about the speed with which games come out and die, and how that renders their miniatures useless.  I may be a little odd, but it's not that unusual in the historical community to accept that the figures you buy are going to end up being used with many sets of rules, that you may need to write a set to match the size of your collection, and that you might want to work on something that you like the look of, because the figures are forever, but the rules are ephemeral.

Thoughts?  Are you a new person?  Another grognard like me?

• By Aard_Rinn
      So, how does one go about finding folks who are looking to split a room for the con? I'm gonna be able to go this year, and the forum description said this is the place to do it, but I dont see a relevant thread. Let me know if there's a better place, I guess?

While it wouldnt be the first con I've spent sleeping in the bushes outside the convention center, Texas sounds hotter than CT, so I am currently looking to share, if anyone has a free corner they're looking to fill. So, let me know and we can talk money, I guess? Bonus points if you're flying in and we can carpool to and from together - I pack light and ship well! :)
    • By 2nd Dynasty
      We currently have a second Kickstarter live at the moment, entitled Starship II - 3D printable OpenLOCK-compatible Deck Plans. The campaign is already over 1300% financed, and we are working on the 8th Stretch Goal.
      If you have a 3D printer, these tiles can really bring your tabletop experience to life, with a strong influences from the designs of Rob Cobb and Kazutaka Miyatake.
      Unpainted PLA at 150 microns  
      Printed on a Flashforge Finder/Creator Pro  
      Unpainted PLA at 150 microns The Sets
      This campaign's featured sets are shown below (these are renderss).
      Stretch Goals Unlocked So Far
      We are now working towards these bonus floor tile types, a grate and plate style in I, S and E tiles  
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printablescenery/time-warp-rampage-castle-europe-and-the-americas?ref=category_newest

TIME WARP featuring Rampage Castle and detailed game-ready buildings from Europe and the Americas designed for your home 3D Printer
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)