Okari

Master series paint contest rules question

19 posts in this topic

That and my pcktlnt in the open category.

DKS paid me a supreme complement when he said he could not tell what I had done....

7 people like this

If you haven't been to an open style competition before, you might not know that you can include some additional information with your entry. You'll be given a card with the entry number on it to display next to the entry. You should definitely write on it that it's a scratch 3D sculpt. You are also welcome to include additional info like a photo of the render, and/or of the print before you paint it, or a copy of a sketch you might have done in the planning stages, a brief description of the creation process, stuff like that.

And make sure that you do this!

Must remember to do this for this year...

Oh wow alright, I'll definitely remember to do this! Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this

I would imagine Knarthex meant his diorama from last year based on the cover from the Waterdeep book in Forgotten Realms.  I believe he forgot to include a copy of the cover so others could see what he was referencing / recreating.  

Okay, I saw that piece it wasn't in my batch to judge.

1 person likes this

I'm reasonably sure I actually gained a point or two because one of the judges didn't read my card closely. I got a 1, 2, 3 spread of points. When I talked to one of the judges, he started talking about how I could improve the kitbash job I'd one on the model. I had to explain that the base was the bit I'd done all the crafty things to, and the model was stock. I'd mentioned that on the card, but he'd managed to miss it. I ended up with 6 points, so depending on how many points he gave for that misconception, there's a good chance Demogorgon should've been certificate of merit.

I'm going to make damned sure I put in something at least bronze level into Open next time I attend, though.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DrSmackMatters
      Hi all!  I haven't posted here in a while as I had to take a break from painting to do some remodeling on my house. That was two years ago.    Finally able to get back to this hobby I love so I wanted to organize my paint desk some.  I designed some paint racks to store my mini paints and figured that someone else might benefit from them as well.  I posted them on Thingiverse for all to use.  Totally free and open source!!

I am adding to them as people ask for additional brands of paint and other configurations.  If anyone prints them and needs some changes or additional options just let me know and I will be happy to see what I can do.  

Looking forward to getting involved again in this great community!!

Without further blabbing here are the links to the units:
      Large Straight - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2531450
      Small Straight - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549451
      Inside Corner - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2543779
      Outside Corner - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2588073

Happy Painting!!!
    • By knarthex
      See you all soon in TX!
    • By knarthex
      So, The very first mini I pulled out of the BOGW when I got it, was a Malifaux mini....
      As soon as I saw it, I knew how I had to paint it!
      So I give you @Sylverthorne the Girlblin!

Hope you like it!!!!!!

George

Abbreviated WIP here
      (Didn't have time to record everything with the need to get it done for Wednesday.....)
    • By Pegazus
      Hey, @ub3r_n3rd, here's the figure that I managed to finish. The top clear coat makes it a bit shiny, but I've got it under harsh lights.

With the very zoomed in picture I'm not exactly happy with the shading on the right hand side where it transitions from light to dark in the middle fold, but that was vexing me for a long time. It's the way I want it to look, but I'm not sure everybody's eye will interpret the shape that I wanted to illustrate. There's also a woodgrain painted on the bow, but it is very subtle and doesn't look to show up here. I guess that should have been something a bit more stark.

Really feel that she's missing an arrow in her hand, since she seems to want to be nocking an arrow, but there's nothing there. Need to work on my eyes for the next figure, but that's a common refrain.
    • By Ironhammer
      Right, so I finally decided to do a WiP on this guy, mainly in the hopes to get some good feedback on the painting process.  This will be one of my Reapercon (in the Open category, being as it is a scratchbuild). 

First off, some older pics going back a few months, showing where I started from.  I started by sculpting a few faces and picked one that I thought would do the job.  Then I built a basic armature, established a pose and then began fleshing it out.

I'm afraid I didn't get any more WiP shots of the sculpting after this, so on to the finished figure (pre painting that is).

Here is the final figure prior to painting, complete with scenic base.

And because I really would like to show off all the work that went into it, here are a lot of detail shots of the various elements.  The discarded helmet was a little bit of a trick, as I wanted it to actually be hollow.  I dealt with it by sculpting the basic shape on the end of another tool, then carefully pulling it off and carving out the face plate and widening the rest of the interior.  The backpack and pistol frame were stacked sheet styrene, with added details in greenstuff and wire.  The base was just a couple of cutup corks with greenstuff textured over it.

Next up is painting.  Digging around online for inspiration I came across this image, which is supposedly of a 1950s era US Navy pressure suit.  I liked the olive drab and beige combination (though I may skip the white helmet), and decided I would go with something similar, but with warmer colors. 

The palette I wound up choosing for the basic flight suit is below.  For some reason the special edition colors have become some of my favorites.  Carnival Purple was a special edition paint for Reapercon '13 (I think), and has become one of my go to colors for shadowing, while Pumpkin Orange has become another one of my mainstays. 

Here is the figure after the first round of painting.  I went in with the intention of giving the suit a much ruddier look that was the case in the prototype (hence the Pumpkin Orange), but tn the end the orange really dominated the palette (which doesn't really bother me, so long as the end result looks good), The figure was primarily bascoated with black primer, while the head was done in white.  I don't recall exactly how much time it took me to get from there to what you see below, but I think it was close to two hours or so.

Whatcha' think so far?  I've always been better with a hobby knife than a paint brush, and this year I'm really anxious to up my game a bit.  Any and all input is welcome!

• Who's Online   22 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)