Kuro Cleanbrush

Warden of the Wasted West (01524: ReaperCon Sophie 2014)

She looks great. I especially love the leather on the hat and boots. The barbed wire on the base is also a nice touch.

• Like 1

Wow! This mini turned out to be one of the best that I have seen.. Your attention to detail and patience to match works wonders when coupled with your brush control and sense of art...

I can not praise it enough. This is a masterpiece!

• Like 1

Jawdropping good!

And I love that base.

I'm also very happy she gave up hunting (were)wolves! Poor creatures...

• Like 2

Wow, she's absolutely beautiful. The wings, the hat, the chrome,  the pale skin tone and clothes, the base... I like everything about it.

• Like 1

Looks great as always Ian.  Now, I want to challenge you.  Your next piece--I want grimy, weathered, rusty.  I want used armor.  I want to see dirt, saliva, tears, blood.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Okay, we do have some manufacturer awards for the Reaper Con 2018 Painting Competition. This is what I know so far:
      Dark Sword: 
      Dark Sword Diorama Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Diorama
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Diorama

Dark Sword Single Miniature Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Single Miniature
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Single Miniature

Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms Anthropomorphic Animals Open Category:
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.
      $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms

Dark Sword Young Painter Category (Age 13 and under):
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our young painters.

$100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for best overall Dark Sword Young Painter
      $50 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Young Painter

The Dark Sword Miniatures Manufacturer Awards are open to all painters. To be eligible for the prize support listed, the entries must be new entries, never before posted online or entered into any other painting competitions. In addition, no entries can be commissions from Dark Sword Miniatures for painted studio models. This means Dark Sword studio painters can enter if they so desire, but their entries must be brand new creations not commissioned from Dark Sword and must also adhere to the eligibility requirements above.

Kabuki - 300 Euro Prize for the best Kabuki Miniature, regardless of category, in the painting competition. We are looking for a way to involve Rodolfo in the judging this year.

Bombshell Miniatures
      Bombshell Miniatures presents the 2018 Golden Maelee Awards. This is a Sponsored Award section of the annual Reaper Master Series Open Painting Contest. Entries will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Maelee trophies.

Entries will need to feature at least one or more Bombshell Miniatures as the prominent subject. This can be anything from Babes, Sidekicks, Kritterkins, to robots, or busts. Each entry will be judged on its own merit of painting execution, presentation, and skill.

Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible.

Scale 75
      Best Scale 75 75MM or Bust
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store. 

Best Smog Rider (CHIBI)
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store.

Bet Scale 75 piece overall piece by a junior
               Smog Rider Starter set.

Talon Games

Best Individual CAV Model: Any single-model figure.

Best CAV "Squad": This category allows for multiple models (minimum four
      models) as part of a cohesive squad.

Best CAV Diorama: This category covers models with a scenic base where the
      entry is telling a story to the viewer and may include multiple models.

Each category winner will receive a $100 Talon Games Gift Certificate and a
      Trophy.

HMGS
      HMGS is proud to announce that the organization is sponsoring awards for Best Historical Single Figure and Best Historical Machines of War in the Reaper Con 2018 Master Series Painting competition. 
      That's all I know about it, I have no idea what prizes will be offered for this.

This first post in the thread will be updated with other manufacturers as we receive them.
    • By Paradoxical Mouse
      So, trying to figure out what I'm doing for reapercon. I've lost my vallejo leather instructions in my move, so I'm not super comfortable with where I'm at painting new leather and wood. 

I have a few miniatures started that I could touch up/finish, or I could start a different new miniature...

Here are the ones I'm currently considering:

1. Oathsworn Tiefling
      I really think she has the best face I've ever painted, and I'm really happy about what I achieved in her purple sash. But the rest of her, I'm a bit iffy on. 

2. Reaper Bryn Half-Elf Rogue
      So, I'm really proud of her leathers (before I lost my directions) and her sleeves, but she has on of the worst faces I've done recently, due to the more narrow shape of her face. Her hair also leaves a lot to be desired. I also am worried about being able to finish those remaining leathers as well as the first several.

3. Reaper Ametrine, Gnome Alchemist
      She's my most recent mini, and my first attempt at trying to figure out the leather on my own as well as my first attempt at painting potion bottles. I'm really happy about her hair, and her face is decent, even if it isn't my best.

I'd love to here opinions about where one(s) to choose, and advice on how to potentially improve them.
    • By Pegazus
      Hey all! Time for the 2018 ReaperCon Forumite Bingo! So, those of you who were on the cards last year, or got a card last year know how the game works, so you can skip the next paragraph.

What is Forumite Bingo? It's a convention game I came up that is generally well received so I will do it again this year. The game is just like what a bingo game would be, but rather than calling out numbers to fill your card, you must go around and introduce yourself to members of the forum who are on your card. Say hi to them, and you can cross their box off. Once you've made "bingo", return to me for your Bingo ribbon. Blackout isn't required, but several people did it for the grins. And there's nothing to 'prove' you met those who you have said you have, just the honor system. You only punish yourself by cheating yourself out of meeting wonderful people.

Last year there were more volunteers than spaces, so not every one was on every card, and hopefully there will be enough volunteers again this year. It made for a good variety. So, this thread is not for signing up to receive a card to play. This is a signup for people who are willing to be on a card. The cards will be freely handed out at the convention. Just come find me, and potentially my wife who may have my materials. Be aware, volunteering to be on the card will mean that complete strangers will be coming up to meet you, and they may not be actually signed up and be on this forum. That happened more often than I thought it would last year. If that makes you uncomfortable, then reconsider volunteering.

So, the ground rules:

I exclude the Reaper peeps since they are all pretty accessible. The game's purpose is to meet the less visible and vocal forum members. I will continue that. Sorry peeps, we love ya, but I feel that's best. The free square in the middle will be me, since everybody has to meet me to get the card it seems the fairest way. You must be going to ReaperCon to be on the card please! And if possible, the full Thursday to Saturday at least. It's unfair to those whose card you are on if you don't show, or are a Saturday only person. I will not exclude you if you are a Saturday only (or similar) limited attendee. However, people who have you on their cards will get to cross you off without meeting you if you aren't there when they need you for bingo. By replying with the information below, you are giving your permission to use the picture provided and your name provided, and to be inundated with people introducing themselves to you. Once I've printed the cards (much closer to the con than I want), they are set in stone. I can't remove people from the cards, and they're a bit pricey to just toss. Plans change, life happens, and if you become a no-show, you simply become a gimme square and are crossed off automatically by those who need your square. It already happened once and well, it will probably happen again. We'll just roll along in those cases. Signups will be open from now until August 15th. That gives me a mere two weeks to randomize the cards and have them printed on card stock. I'll get a mod to lock this thread on that date, and once the thread is locked, no more volunteers will be accepted. One does not need to be very active on these forums to be on the card, but it helps people to recognize you. But I will not turn away anybody that isn't very active if they really want to be on the card. If there's a question about any of these numbered questions, please quote the text since the numbering is automatic and I can't control it if there's an insertion. I will update these rules as questions and issues come up.  
      All ready to sign up? Good! Here's what you need to do. Reply to this thread with:
      The name you want to use. I prefer your forum handle, so people might have some idea of who you are. They can always write your real name across the square as a way of crossing you off, but it's up to you what name to have on the card. What picture you wish to use for your square. Again, I prefer your forum picture, but if you are someone who changes it often, I might grab one that isn't current so having you explicitly give me one helps. What days you will be at ReaperCon. I'll put the days you won't be there on the square, and this will help us know if your are there that day or not. I'm only using Thursday thru Sunday, with Wednesday as a simple bonus day.  
      This is optional, but if you could also send a recent picture of your actual self via PM to me, I'd appreciate it. Something like a full on face shot, without costume. I plan to have a "cheat sheet" of sorts to help myself remember who is who. This way I can help direct people to those members they're still needing to collect. My brain isn't wired to put names to faces easily, and being tired from the Con won't help that. So, having something I can use to point the way will help. Again, this is optional.

I think that's it for now. See you all in a month!
    • By Kangaroorex
      Pretty late in the mini to start a WIP but I could use some thoughts and suggestions, in particular in the area of contrast.  I am looking to bring up the contrast on the scales but I don't want to shift to an orange or pink.  The skin shows a decent contrast but to my eye it's more orange than red at this point.  I love the different shading going on for each scale type but I want more from the upper body scales without going into orange and yellow.

My challenge to myself this year is to gel my reds to be red.  It's not an easy color to work with and a lot of these paints are either transparent or chalk when thinned.  It has been a long road to get this far but I want a richer color.

Thoughts would be welcomed along with critique.  Pictures were snapped off my work bench but I will shoot for better ones this weekend.  In the meantime...

the photos are raw and taken without flash to try and show the pieces in the most natural light

The body.  Trying for three textures plus the crest.  The heavy armored back scales are under layered with corpreal shadow to make them stand out, then shaded from a dark purple red to blood red.  The body scales are undershaded with brick red and shaded up to a highlight of Phoenix red.  The body skin on the arms starts at Gore red and shaded up to a lantern yellow.  Problem is with the body.  I would like more highlight but whatever I try changes the tone to either orange or pink. 

The head: still a work in progress.  Needing to clean up the horns and again highlight without going to the orange or pink

Upper side of wing.  Looking pretty good although a set of missed mold lines is making me repaint the horns

Wing underside.  Subdued and darker as this part is solidly cast in shadow and the horns are in the process of being repainted... again

So thanks again for anyone who would like to help out.
    • By Aard_Rinn
      So, how does one go about finding folks who are looking to split a room for the con? I'm gonna be able to go this year, and the forum description said this is the place to do it, but I dont see a relevant thread. Let me know if there's a better place, I guess?

While it wouldnt be the first con I've spent sleeping in the bushes outside the convention center, Texas sounds hotter than CT, so I am currently looking to share, if anyone has a free corner they're looking to fill. So, let me know and we can talk money, I guess? Bonus points if you're flying in and we can carpool to and from together - I pack light and ship well! :)
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)