Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knarthex

Passports....

19 posts in this topic

I know it is early days, but for those of you plan on coming to ReaperCon from outside the USA, don't forget to check your passports are up to date for next October......

This has been a public service announcement from your Friendly Neighborhood Drow.....

7 people like this

And not just that they're valid for a few months after RCon, but that they're the latest biometric version issued in your country.

Early biometric passports doesn't have as much data as new passports, and may not necessarily be accepted.

Also, consider which VISAs and stamps exist in your current passport.

Kjell Magne Bondevik(Prime minister in Norway for 2 periods, high ranking member of the Christian democrat party, founder of a Peace center and soccer nut... ) was detained for hours recently because he had an Iranian stamp in his DIPLOMAT passport...

I have a one-day VISA for Russia in my current passport. No way am I going to use that passport if I decide to travel to RCon.

2 people like this

Please do not use this space to discuss the politics of border crossing policies within the US.

Using it to provide accurate information about which documents are preferred, and how to obtain them, is fine.

Using it as a soapbox for discussion of what is a very controversial and thorny subject is impolite.

4 people like this

Also a reminder that certain states may be up for expiration when it comes to IDs for getting pass security at the airports. 

1 person likes this

Also a reminder that certain states may be up for expiration when it comes to IDs for getting pass security at the airports.

Thankfully, my military ID doesn't expire. ..
2 people like this

The issue with VISAs is real, though. Iranian visas will get you into trouble no matter who you are.

Since my passport is from 09, I will get a new one anyway, if I decide to head over the pond, as the biometrics chip is an older version.

For some countries it can take an inordinate time to get a visa(I think my one-day to Russia took about 4 weeks)and some of those require you to send the passport to their nearest embassy while the application is being handled.

Many countries actually issue 'extra' normal passports with a limited validity(usually for 2 years) for that exact reason, so that one can be going through red tape at an embassy while you're off to an entirely different country.

As far as I know, a passport MUST have the 'e-Passport' logo on the front and be valid for the duration of the stay in the USA.

(VISA rules depends on nationality)

I would never recommend travelling anywhere with less than 3 months 'remaining' on a passport, though. Things happens and all that.

(Many countries require at lest 3months in exess of the planned stay, some as muh as 6months.)

3 people like this

Needed to check if I was on that list. Also note it's 2018 not 17.

New TSA rules for nine states.

Beginning Jan. 22, 2018, travelers from nine states will no longer be able to travel with only their driver’s licenses.

Residents of Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington will have to use alternate ID forms (passport, military ID, or permanent resident card) to pass TSA security checkpoints—even for domestic travel.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/no-drivers-license-tsa-rule

2 people like this

Beginning Jan. 22, 2018, travelers from nine states will no longer be able to travel with only their driver’s licenses.

Residents of Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington will have to use alternate ID forms (passport, military ID, or permanent resident card) to pass TSA security checkpoints—even for domestic travel.

I greatly appreciate you mentioning this, as I'm from one of those states.

Would it be worth it to get a passport for this year's RCon, just in case, or would it likely be a waste of money? I don't plan to travel anywhere else this year....

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Having a passport is never a waste of time. US Passports are good for 10 years. It adds a layer of ID when multiple IDs are needed and should a DL or state ID get lost or stolen makes it easier to prove who you are. Plus, you never know when you'll want to visit another country.

2 people like this

Would it be worth it to get a passport for this year's RCon, just in case, or would it likely be a waste of money? I don't plan to travel anywhere else this year....

Huzzah!

A Passport is not required when a US citizen and resident is traveling form one US State to another.

Huzzah!

A Passport is not required when a US citizen and resident is traveling form one US State to another.

She means as a secondary form of ID that might be more acceptable than her state's drivers license because her state is on the list that might give her problems traveling.  While not required....if she doesnt have any other form of ID than she might want to use her Passport.

2 people like this

She means as a secondary form of ID that might be more acceptable than her state's drivers license because her state is on the list that might give her problems traveling.  While not required....if she doesnt have any other form of ID than she might want to use her Passport.

Yes, this is what I meant. I don't have any other form of picture ID I can use, and while I know it won't be required until next year, I'd like to be prepared just in case. :)

Huzzah!

2 people like this

I'd actually recommend always getting a passport earlier than you need it.  Because sometimes it takes a while for it to get processed, time for you to fill in the paperwork and get a photo, etc, etc. 

3 people like this

She means as a secondary form of ID that might be more acceptable than her state's drivers license because her state is on the list that might give her problems traveling. While not required....if she doesnt have any other form of ID than she might want to use her Passport.

Yes, this is what I meant. I don't have any other form of picture ID I can use, and while I know it won't be required until next year, I'd like to be prepared just in case. :)

Huzzah!

Does your state issue permanent resident cards? One of those other things...or would a student ID card with a photo be useful?

And what is the flaw with MN etal. Driver licenses..?

2 people like this

Thankfully, my military ID doesn't expire. ..

True.

Just an FYI (and not relevant to travel in the U.S.): you can't use it instead of a passport anymore.