25 posts in this topic

Does your state issue permanent resident cards? One of those other things...or would a student ID card with a photo be useful?

And what is the flaw with MN etal. Driver licenses..?

They do not meet the current biometric and security requirements.

I will say that having a passport is nice. And it was something of a pain to acquire. If you want to have your passport in time for ReaperCon, get started on it now. Plan on visiting the county clerk or post office at least twice. Having all your documents and payments all correct the first time is practically impossible.  You can make appointments at post offices, but the wait list can be really long and several weeks out.  My family and I ended up at the county clerk to get our passports. It seemed that they were better suited to the task than the post office and no appointment needed.

Edited by DixonGrfx
3 people like this

A Passport is not required when a US citizen and resident is traveling form one US State to another.
She means as a secondary form of ID that might be more acceptable than her state's drivers license because her state is on the list that might give her problems traveling. While not required....if she doesnt have any other form of ID than she might want to use her Passport.

Yes, this is what I meant. I don't have any other form of picture ID I can use, and while I know it won't be required until next year, I'd like to be prepared just in case. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Does your state issue permanent resident cards? One of those other things...or would a student ID card with a photo be useful?

And what is the flaw with MN etal. Driver licenses..?

Driver's licenses from the listed states do not meet federal REALID standards for identity verification* that would permit them to be used as an accepted form of ID at federal border checkpoints.

*Note that this pertains to the standards for issuing these cards - that is, the federal rules regarding proof of identity before the card is issued are not met. In simpler terms, the government says the proof you have to show that you are who you claim to be before they issue a photo ID certifying that the person pictured is the same as the person in the text, is not as stringent as it is required to be, and therefore the potential for persons receiving the photo ID to not be who the ID says they are is too high.

There has been some concern in the news that TSA checkpoints inside the Airport for domestic flights would stop accepting those drivers licenses as well, but I am unaware of this being true, although it is possible that at international checkpoints, the Driver's Licenses form the impacted state would not be accepted.

1 person likes this

Here is a link to the Real ID information on the DHS website. Checking the status of your state would be a good idea as in addition to the ones that are not compliant, there are a lot that received extensions.

https://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses

1 person likes this

On 2/12/2017 at 8:44 PM, knarthex said:

I know it is early days, but for those of you plan on coming to ReaperCon from outside the USA, don't forget to check your passports are up to date for next October......

This has been a public service announcement from your Friendly Neighborhood Drow.....

Necro ING this as a reminder to all of our out of country friends...

1 person likes this

On 2/14/2017 at 11:06 AM, SGHawkins09 said:

Here is a link to the Real ID information on the DHS website. Checking the status of your state would be a good idea as in addition to the ones that are not compliant, there are a lot that received extensions.

https://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses

I just checked and found that Virginia's extension ends Oct 1, 2017 but is expected to be granted again until Oct 1, 2018 when our new licenses will be issued. I think I will bring my passport just in case. I am flying out of DC which is already a pain, no reason to add an extra layer of headache.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Kate said:

I just checked and found that Virginia's extension ends Oct 1, 2017 but is expected to be granted again until Oct 1, 2018 when our new licenses will be issued. I think I will bring my passport just in case. I am flying out of DC which is already a pain, no reason to add an extra layer of headache.

Any time I fly I always take my passport now.  Even if it's just a flight from Detroit to Chicago.  I know it will always work.

Edited by Harrek
1 person likes this

Passport card is really useful for that sort of thing.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:06 AM, Kate said:

That's the state that Pennsylvania is also in (ow!) with the governor having only recently signed a law to bring PA into compliance in... 2019 or so.

Even if the "extended" states aren't in compliance, it shouldn't affect travel to Reapercon in 2017 (or to anywhere else before 2018). DHS doesn't start RealID enforcement for commercial air travel until January 22nd, 2018.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/12/12/tsa-notify-travelers-upcoming-2018-real-id-airport-enforcement

Not that a passport is a bad thing to have. I need to get mine, too.

1 person likes this

Appears the Oregon may be added to the list of IDs that don't comply for travel. Since I just got a new ID last year I'll probably do a passport as well soon. Thou my only true travel I'd to Rcon & back.