Pragma

WIP: Halfling riding a gryphon

77 posts in this topic

More progress, I made a base! I had two different ideas for the base, either a rocky clifftop, or a green mossy forest floor. The green of the forest would give a nice contrast to the rest of the mini, which doesn't have any green. The cliff would echo a lot of the grey patterns in the gryphon and blend together better. I think I have settled on some combination of the two: a rocky outcropping, but covered with moss and vegetation like the forest floor.

I have never based with bark before, but I was looking at some bark bases by the great James Wappel and really liked the look. So I started with three nice pieces of bark I found on a walk with my son. Then I sculpted an old tree trunk out of sculpey. My method was to first sculpt the trunk in place on the bark, remove it to bake, then glue it back on and fill gaps and finish with greenstuff.

base-bark.jpg.ad4e0b732ab292928c1e52bd3ebaa2f1.jpgbase-trunk.jpg.ed82fcd4ebace822e6676a1f2aa68316.jpg

This is where the gryphon will fit on the base. You might have noticed I did some more shading and highlighting on the saddle. I also rubbed off some paint in the process of attaching him to the new base, so there will be some more touch ups to do. Also his back leg is slightly raised above the bark, so I filled that part in with some green stuff. Then I primed the whole thing in dark grey gesso. You might be able to see a couple of mushrooms I added on the left.

base-gryphon.jpg.0abea3766bbe1e43aaba08002c1ac800.jpgbase-primed.jpg.b85aecfb29318ca81a0d0c2770c86bf4.jpg

So next I will paint the base. I am thinking some green-blue-grey kind of scheme for a mossy cliff. I am also thinking of having some craft moss growing up through the cracks in the base. I'm not sure about the mushrooms yet, maybe red would contrast nicely with the rest of the base. But I don't want to draw too much attention to them.

13 people like this

Posted (edited)

Good lookin' base!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Good lookin' base!

Thanks, it's good to try something new.

1 person likes this

I guess when it came to thinking up new bases, you were stumped. ::P:

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 3/6/2017 at 1:29 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I guess when it came to thinking up new bases, you were stumped. ::P:

hqdefault.jpg

YYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OneBoot
Replaced .gif with .jpg
3 people like this

New forums but no "unlike" or "bad pun is terrible"  buttons.  I think I'll go complain.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

If you complain they might add an unlike feature, but I think that's

hqdefault.jpg

... unlikely.

YYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OneBoot
Replaced .gif with .jpg
4 people like this

17 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

New forums but no "unlike" or "bad pun is terrible"  buttons.  I think I'll go complain.

If you say a pun and haven't inflicted misery on someone, you're doing it wrong. ::P:

3 people like this

Ok when you are on a roll, you are on a roll.  Haha.

1 person likes this

Awsome looking base.. a fitting look to what environment I could imagine a griffin with theese colors would live in.

1 person likes this

Back from a work trip, finally got down to painting the base. The stone is lots of drybrushed stone grey, with some blue and green washes particularly in the shadows. The stump is all mossy greens and browns. I added some craft moss into the cracks, which gives it some green to set it off from the rest of the piece (but not too much). And just to mix it up a bit, I made the mushrooms purple.

base1.jpg.59055a320b8b3b18e653333fe44ea7a8.jpgbase2.jpg.6ebe76cb7afb1b351a9447ed5ff1a490.jpgbase3.jpg.4204145f230e7a0e1e5fe60f1c89fea5.jpgbase4.jpg.3786a9f5da7cd943532e320c130a4491.jpg

Now all that's left is to attach all the parts together, and touch up the paint job to blend everything together.

10 people like this

The purple was a great choice for the mushrooms, they really pop out without being overbearing.

2 people like this

Excellent base!

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The purple was a great choice for the mushrooms, they really pop out without being overbearing.

5 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Excellent base!

Thanks! I was worried the mushrooms were too much and I might have to tone them down a bit.

2 people like this

Outstanding base for an outstanding mini. Great work!

1 person likes this