Pragma

WIP: Halfling riding a gryphon

84 posts in this topic

Looks Outstanding!

Just a minor thought...

The tree stump is grey and kind of blends in to the greys of the stone...

Maybe a glaze or 2 of brown to help differentiate it a bit more?

Not to much, as we know that tree trunks tend to be more grey than brown.....

2 people like this

22 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Looks Outstanding!

Just a minor thought...

The tree stump is grey and kind of blends in to the greys of the stone...

Maybe a glaze or 2 of brown to help differentiate it a bit more?

Not to much, as we know that tree trunks tend to be more grey than brown.....

Good call! Also a little more brown will tie it nicely to the rest of the piece. Now I just need to decide on a brown. I have HD umber brown and muddy brown, but they are a little on the grey side. Ruddy leather might be too red, and blackened brown is perhaps too dark. Hmmmm ....

2 people like this

Okay, I realize I have gone dark for a month. I had a couple of work trips and this guy got put on the back burner. But I finally put everything together and touched up the parts where some paint rubbed off during assembly. I also did a brown wash on the stump, and that made a big difference. Thanks knarthex! I think he might be finally done! Did I miss anything? 

512.jpg.129f844e7e752d36e6fd72c9aa83e557.jpg256.jpg.3ee7ce5c8b7ece71ef572183d651da6a.jpg448.jpg.de0e6b09d375fe60768d7b98ef474f4a.jpg064.jpg.9ee63a1be438fa7cc8029eb8f5283ade.jpg

17 people like this

Make sure to keep him away from Kentucky Fried Griffon headquarters. ::P: But he turned out absolutely amazing, especially the base. This is one that you should definitely be proud of.

2 people like this

Super!!!!!

1 person likes this

This is so good! I am glad you shared your WIP!

1 person likes this

Amazing stuff!

1 person likes this

Sounds like he might be ready for Show Off. The only thing that is bugging me slightly is the gap between his leg and the saddle. But I think it would just be too much work to deal with that at this point.

I just need to fiddle with the 360 view; I've been streamlining my process so I'll be able to make them more easily in the future.

3 people like this

Phenomenal!

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ryc03
      A practice piece to get my painting mood back before the BONES 3 items arrive next month. So far I have only painted 5-6 ish miniatures, and have been staying with creatures mostly (no particular reason other than thinking that they are probably easier to get a satisfying result)

The head was done in light grey primer followed by white dry-brush and a light brown wash, but the white paint was too wet and the grey completely disappeared. the light brown wash only partially salvaged it.

But at least it get me back into the mood to painting. Next is an anime girl resin kit. Don't ask.

• By Pragma
      After a number of months, and a few hiatuses (hiati?) I finally finished the largest mini project I have yet undertaken. It's a depiction of my Pathfinder character, the halfling druid Witten Greenwood, riding his faithful mount Storm. The gryphon itself is inspired by a combination of a peregrine falcon and an ocelot; I wanted a small, fast creature and the patterns and colors of the two creatures wound up blending very well together. It was my first time converting something on this scale: I sculpted the saddle out of clay and putty, as well as the stump on the base. The rider is removable, so I will probably make a separate base for him at some point. Also this was my first time basing using things found in nature: pieces of bark and little acorns for the mushrooms. I'm very proud of how it all turned out!

Lots of progress pics and discussion in my WIP thread. Please share your comments and critiques!
    • By Sirithiliel
      77386: Andriessa, female wizard
      77387: Lanelle, half elf rogue
      77389: Highland Heroine
      77203: Alastriel
      77208: Anwyn
      77210: Sarah the Seeress
      77217: Mi-Sher
      77218: Woody Stumpwimple, Halfling Ranger
      77223: Kristianna
      77225: Ingrid, Female Viking
      77165: Hellakin Goregutter, Halfling Rogue
      77079: Isabeau Laroche, Female Paladin
      77070: Aviriel Tellerion, Female Elf
      89012: Lem, Iconic Bard
      77078: Astrid, Female Bard
      89006: Seoni, Iconic Sorceress 
      77164: Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard

• By canuckotter
      I posted an orc barbarian a few days back that I was working on. He's one of the characters in the Fantasy AGE campaign I'm running. I bought other models for the other characters but couldn't find anything quite right, so I got as close as I could and figured I'd modify them later. Apparently tonight's the night to start that work...  I'd already put brown liner on them before deciding I really was going to modify the figures, in case you're wondering what's going on with them.

(Sorry for crummy pictures, I was experimenting with using my webcam... Man I really need to find that digicam that I know should be kicking around the house somewhere...)

Anyway! First up - 77165 - Hellakin Gorecutter, Halfling Rogue. This is the model I've chosen for the party mage, who for some reason has decided he wants to run around with a morningstar. It's worth noting that the mace is his arcane implement - he channels his magic through it, including healing magic... The most terrifying healer ever. (Actually the healing spell doesn't need to be channelled through it, we just thought it would be hilarious if his way of healing his friends was to hit them with his morningstar.) I cut off the sword in his right hand and attached a short brass rod, which'll be greenstuffed into a morningstar shortly.

Next is 77218 - Woody Stumpwimple, Halfling Ranger. This is our party rogue. Except he doesn't use a bow, so I've chopped the bow out of his left hand, and I'm in the process of cutting the arrows out of the quiver on his back. The character is in love with his arquebus, and I'm still deciding whether he's going to be holding that in his left hand or if I'll have him holster it on his back (in what used to be the quiver) as if he's Ash or something.

The final member of the party is 77021 - Lindir, Elf Archer. He doesn't require any modifications, so I don't have him with me right now to take pictures... If you want to know what he looks like, go look at the link.
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)