As I've been creating my own set of Chibi Kingdom Death minis, I've found that some of the monsters have such bizarre proportions that there's no need to convert them into chibis.

Overall, my approach is to have the minis become less distorted and cute as they get larger (the way that Final Fantsy, Pokemon and Super Dungeon Explore do things). So, a lot of the very large monsters don't need to be altered. Instead, I try to paint them in vibrant colors that really let them pop out. I also create the bases using chibi faces rather than the normal ones.

So, here is my Sunstalke.  I de-emphasized the nudity in the painting of it, but since I didn't actually re-sculpt the Kingdom Deathy bits, it is linked:

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 18

Definitely a weird model.  The blends are excellent and the nudity was less emphasized than normal depictions I've seen.  This one just looks like a monster to me, which it is, but it's more "normal" in my mind.  It's great work, but, even with your amazing paint job, I'd never consider purchasing this model. 

EDIT:  leaving my original text here.  I thought about the paint job more.  And my thoughts on the miniatures themselves.

Your painting style is extremely crisp and your blends are amazing.  I've made miniature purchases simply based on some of the things you painted (including backing the Super Dungeon Legends kickstarter after seeing some of your Chibi work). 

The problem I have is the Kingdom Death miniatures themselves.  They are not a style that I like.  That being said, some of the knights are amazing (and you've painted one or two of them, as have others on the forums here).  The fact that you can make a miniature that is something I find disgusting actually appealing stands to your talent. 

I applaud you for taking the challenge headlong, and I am enjoying each "episode," aka miniature.  This one just hit me this way and I felt compelled to say something. 

Edited by Darkmeer
  • Like 2

Your painting style is extremely crisp and your blends are amazing.  I've made miniature purchases simply based on some of the things you painted (including backing the Super Dungeon Legends kickstarter after seeing some of your Chibi work). 

The problem I have is the Kingdom Death miniatures themselves.  They are not a style that I like.  That being said, some of the knights are amazing (and you've painted one or two of them, as have others on the forums here).  The fact that you can make a miniature that is something I find disgusting actually appealing stands to your talent. 

I applaud you for taking the challenge headlong, and I am enjoying each "episode," aka miniature.  This one just hit me this way and I felt compelled to say something. 

You are far from alone in thinking these minis are just odd.

A while back, there was a blogger who got the community involved in a "Worst Mini Ever" vote.  Kingdom Death's Wet Nurse was nominated due to its extreme weirdness.

Of course, it didn't win- it represents an absolutely bizarre concept with brilliant execution, while some of the stronger entries were decent concepts with botched execution (the top spot went to GW's old Nagash mini... I've still got to pick me up one of those to see what I can do with him).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now