Pingo

Drow shrunken heads and LARP weapons

I spotted this table of goodies at a science fiction convention last weekend.  The proprietor makes, among other things, a wide variety of soft LARP weapons -- and shrunken head trophies.

He gave me permission to take pictures and post them online.

I note the goblin heads are the proper orange color.

IMG_0651-Caveloot.com_zps7tuvko2y.jpg

Ruler included for scale:

IMG_0653_zpsfxu4uq2f.jpg

IMG_0655_zpsyl2if6r9.jpg

IMG_0656_zpsv2zfebny.jpg

• Like 15

Alas, Photobucket turned Evil.

Since the pix are long gone, the gentleman in question ran a store called Cave Loot, at what used to be caveloot-dot-com and seems to now be thecaverns-dot-net.

He seems to sell a wide variety of fun gaming props, including soft rubber shrunken heads and weapons, deeds and paperwork, and, uh, other stuff.

Here is kinda the method that I use - but there are some differences.

I use strong tea instead of just lemon juice - it dyes the apple a darker brown.

I use beads for the yes - making just slits instead of sockets, or I sew the eyes shut with coarse thread.

Ditto for the mouths - a line of seed pearls or sewing the lips shut.

Some crepe hair to finish it off, held in place with a loop of wire.

I wish I could say I made this up - but the truth is that I learned how to do this from a Craft Toy called Vincent Price's Shrunken Heads.

flashbakshrunkenhead2.jpg

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nightwing
      Here is the Drow Captain from the Grenadier Action Art: Monsters set. See my previous thread for the Thief Assassin to see the Painting Guide color recommendations. 

• By Generic Fighter
      So I'm going to be repainting some D&D Minis for the DDM Guild's Prize support at GenCon 2018. Just really got started last night, but progress is progress. Sorry about the crappy phone picture.

So, I'm gonna be keeping track of my progress here. My deadline is the first full weekend of July, the 8th or so. As I'll need to mail them to someone who is actually attending:(

GF
    • By Sophie was taken
      Just a quick and simple paint, nothing fancy. Couldn’t resist picking it up though, because every tabletop needs a werewolf (even if that tabletop has nobody to play with):

He’s very shiny. I couldn’t find my brush-on sealer and had to use PVA sealer, which is always glossier than the label says. 

His fur is supposed to be mottled grey/white and brown/black, but I never know how to paint the not-obviously furry parts, and usually default to bare skin. In this case, Dark Elf Skin. So I guess he’s a drow werewolf.

Also, this:

Look at at that eye! It’s a halfway decent eye (even if it isn’t quite human)! Calling the whole thing a win on that basis. C&C welcome.
    • By Sophie was taken
      Opened this one up and got it primed when I noticed a very significant case of mold-slippage. The details on her right side and left arm just didn’t line up, and I don’t have the skill to file/green stuff it away. So, rather than weep and save the mini for a melt table, she became practice! This ended up being a combination of speedpaint, demimetallic experimentation, and basing attempt, 3-4 hours total work including lots of futzing with paint mixes on my palette. The results:

Oh, and I made her a Dark Elf to try more white hair.

The purple metal is Royal Purple and Filigree Silver, mixed in varying degrees. Other metallics tended to un-purple the mix too much (except New Gold, but that’s a different look). I think she’s supposed to have gauntlets, but due to the casting issues these became cloth sleeves.

In the end she turned out far better than expected, so I’m glad I didn’t give up. One less potential resident of the shelf of shame. Comments and critiques welcome, as always.
    • By rainman1
      This question sounds pretty stupid, but I don't know how.

• Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)