Pingo

Drow shrunken heads and LARP weapons

I spotted this table of goodies at a science fiction convention last weekend.  The proprietor makes, among other things, a wide variety of soft LARP weapons -- and shrunken head trophies.

He gave me permission to take pictures and post them online.

I note the goblin heads are the proper orange color.

IMG_0651-Caveloot.com_zps7tuvko2y.jpg

Ruler included for scale:

IMG_0653_zpsfxu4uq2f.jpg

IMG_0655_zpsyl2if6r9.jpg

IMG_0656_zpsv2zfebny.jpg

• Like 15

Alas, Photobucket turned Evil.

Since the pix are long gone, the gentleman in question ran a store called Cave Loot, at what used to be caveloot-dot-com and seems to now be thecaverns-dot-net.

He seems to sell a wide variety of fun gaming props, including soft rubber shrunken heads and weapons, deeds and paperwork, and, uh, other stuff.

Here is kinda the method that I use - but there are some differences.

I use strong tea instead of just lemon juice - it dyes the apple a darker brown.

I use beads for the yes - making just slits instead of sockets, or I sew the eyes shut with coarse thread.

Ditto for the mouths - a line of seed pearls or sewing the lips shut.

Some crepe hair to finish it off, held in place with a loop of wire.

I wish I could say I made this up - but the truth is that I learned how to do this from a Craft Toy called Vincent Price's Shrunken Heads.

flashbakshrunkenhead2.jpg

The Auld Grump

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mutilatedlips
      Decided to paint him as a Drow to add to House Depsana's arsenal of nastiness.

• By SGHawkins09
      Finally got around to taking photos of my ReaperCon entries for 2017 and this was one of my entries in the Painter's category. This is Dark Sword's Female Wood Elf Warrior and I wanted to paint this one up for a long time but could not decided on what color scheme to use. All I knew was that I wanted to do something different than what you would expect for a wood elf but I did not know what. It finally came to me, use mainly purples and greys and make her a drow. After determining that, the base plan came to me pretty quickly, place her in a cave with natural crystals and spiderwebs. The webs were created using UHU glue. She ended up being my entry that was judged for that category and I was very pleased to receive a gold medal.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• By Mutilatedlips
      I've been off the radar for a while. Haven't done much logging in lately because a friend of mine convinced me to start my own website. It has been fun, but time consuming. Eyedamageart.com if you are interested. 

Hopefully some of these posts are going to make up for being away and I can't wait for a chance to sit down, relax and look through the many weeks of pics I have missed out on. 

• By Valygar Corthala
      I have noticed that for many of the miniatures for sale the models can be seen holding different weapons if there are multiple pictures. A good example is this cleric pictured with a hammer, sword, and mace in different pictures. https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03427

I am wondering if this mini comes with all 3 weapons which can be changed once purchased/ just one weapon and there is a way to choose which one you want/ these are modifications that have been made by users to the base miniature.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • By GodOfCheese
      I was stuck on another project, so I took a break and painted some other minis. This one looks better in real life... Color correction seems to be destroying the image :-/

Yendrensovith is an NPC in my currently-paused campaign; a drow of spectacular violence and a complicated past. For the curious, more information is available here.

• Who's Online   29 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)