LarsM

Ghost story WIP

38 posts in this topic

So I will try my hand at a Wip.

I have been working a while on this base. It's for an very old mini I painted many years ago. It's a quite big base for just one lilltle mini, but that dosen't really matter as I enjoy making the base as much as the mini .. but more about that later..

The tree is not completely finish, there is still some wire visible, and the ghost will get it's base removed.

BUT i'm not totally happy about the tree, I wanted the branches to be claw-like .. and they sort of are, but maybe just to big or .. I don't know .. so any ideas to make it better is very welcome!

It a tombstone lying down between the roots, a few skulls and a skeleton on the other side, just barely visible (left-side of top picture).

The pictures are; back-side, left-side and front-side of the base.

post-15383-0-86301500-1488040490_thumb.jpg

post-15383-0-52680100-1488040497_thumb.jpg

post-15383-0-15762700-1488040502_thumb.jpg

11 people like this

I'll be following this!

The branches of the tree are a bit too wavy, and some of the ends of the branches are a bit too thick... When a tree branch grows in a non-straight fashion, it usually gets that curvy look because it's gnarled and twisted - it doesn't usually grow in a smooth curve (or at least nothing more than a slight curve), but ends up being a bunch of smaller straight sections joined by knots or smaller branches jutting off. Oftentimes, when the end of a tree branch splits off into two or more forks when it first starts growing, some of them don't survive past the early budding stage and thus you end up with a knot in the branch with the surviving newer forks sticking out at slight angles to the previous section.

Each time a branch divides into one or more forks, the actual division where it splits will be a bit thicker than the current section of the branch (the part closer to the tree), but each fork individual fork will be thinner over all than the section it sprung from.

When making a tree, it really helps to take the time to research a lot of images of trees to study how they grow and to look for examples of things (interesting knots or branch patterns, etc.) you'd like to incorporate into your tree.

1 person likes this

Thank you Mad Jack, I have been looking at trees just outside my window while reading this, and you are, ofcourse, absolutely right. ..I will ret to make some modifications..

1 person likes this

Okay, so got a bit of work done on the tree.

I tried to 'un-curve' some of the branches, make more straight sections and made a few broken off branches at some of the intersections.

I think it deffently it looks better, but still some way to go.

Also a close up of the skeleton, wich is a 77018 bones Skeleton Archer. I cut off the bow and his arrow quiver, and changed his legs a bit.

post-15383-0-27385000-1488218114_thumb.jpg

post-15383-0-01889900-1488218121_thumb.jpg

6 people like this

The skeleton looks nice, but it would look better if you cut the feet and let them rest sideways.

A skeleton can not keep his feet up when lying down.

Hopes this helps.

I love what you're doing here.

Haven't thought about the feet, I Will change that. But his hand that originally was Holding the bow, is a closed fist wich is not natural looking.. but not sure I will try to sculpt a open skeleton hand, might cover it with dirt..

1 person likes this

Got the tree finished. It was more complicated than I thought to make a tree, and it took quite a lot of Green Stuff. It also became bigger than planed, but hopefully I have learned a few things for next time, I deffently got some practice using GS.

And a close up of the skeleton. Changed its position a bit, and covered it a little more with dirt. As if the dirt has been washed away, and the skeleton is slowly being uncovered..

Next step is primer and paint.

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

9 people like this

That looks great!

1 person likes this

Awesome! Looking good!

Posted (edited)

Sloooooww progress...

Got everything primed with Citadel Chaos Black spray, and then decided to add some sand and gravel to the cliff.

Then primed again.

THEN the painting started!

I'm using a mix of craft paint and mainly Army Painter mini paints. The craft paint only has the name of the local hobby store, Panduro Hobby, so I don't know who actually makes it.

First the bricks got a mix of Dark Brown, Army Painter Fur Brown and Army Painter Pure Red. The Mortar is a Neutral Grey and Black mix.

The tiles is also Neutral Grey and Black, highlighted with Neutral Grey.

I've added SAP Green in some of the corners as moss-ish.

I then added Army Painter Green Tone and Strong Tone washes, as weathering/moss/dirt..

Still need some touching up, and a little highlight on the moss..

I am thinking of adding another grave-stone just next to the tree.

I also have to make grass around the gravestone and tree. I have a few turfts with a too light color. Anyone have experience painting them?

As always critiqs and comments are welcome!

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

Edited by LarsM
7 people like this

Good progress!

Posted (edited)

More progres..

A bit more highlight on the tiles and bricks, think I'm done with those.

And I think I'm done with the skeleton, and the skulls and the hole cliff, I'm quite happy with these parts. I Tried to get a bit of colors in on everything..

Started on the tree and roots, first a layer of neutral grey, then a dark-brown wash, the a dark green wash. It does needs more work .. I think maybe a black (or even darker brown) wash, then some shadows and highlights.. lots more work!

I put on some turfts, and tried to paint them. Not the best of ideas, but they did get more greenish as I wanted, but quite a few hairs/straws fell off, so I will buy some in the right color next time.

The grass just above the skeleton are homemade from an old brush, so had to paint them anyway.

I then dremel'ed the base off the ghost, but left a tap for ataching it to the scenery. I'm not quite sure where to put yet.. the basic plan was on the top step, but it will be a bit hidden under that huge tree..

It's not a very well painted mini, but I painted it many years ago and was really happy with the result back then, especially because it glows slightly in the dark. I think I might tighten it up a little bit, but not too much. I don't have that 'glow-in-the-dark' paint anymore either, and I don't want to cover that effect up.

Critiqs and comments and ideas are as usually very welcome :o)

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

Edited by LarsM
9 people like this

Looking good so far. The skeleton and skulls are nice details and I do like the colour of the rock stairs. You could some moss and some soil to further enhance the look of the stone. I often use some Woodland Scenics Fine Turf, PVA and dark green acrylic paint to make a moss paste and spread it around. I did this for my graveyard base:

Spoiler

front-heavy-moss.jpg?w=474&h=374

I also think the tree turned out nice. I do wonder if you would have a better time using something else than GS for the finer branches. I did get good results using acrylic caulking. Given it is a paste you can more easily draw it out to a thinner point. You can cover the entire tree with it and then apply a second coat of woodfiller and texture the filler to resemble bark. I used the technique with successfully on an oak tree, but it should work with any tree, really:

Spoiler

img_0920.jpg?w=474&h=356

5 people like this