Sign in to follow this  
LarsM

Ghost story WIP

This is looking so good! How are you going to do the foliage on the tree or is it a dead tree? I saw a cool tutorial for hanging Spanish moss that would look good with this.

I am enjoying your WIP, it's looking great!

Thanks for advice. I will try that moss paste.

I'm not sure I will change the tree now. How would you avoid the paste for the thin branches not just hanging straight Down? I did try to pull out some thin threads of the GS but they just bended down before they cured, so cut them off.

3 hours ago, Pochi said:

This is looking so good! How are you going to do the foliage on the tree or is it a dead tree? I saw a cool tutorial for hanging Spanish moss that would look good with this.

I am enjoying your WIP, it's looking great!

I was thinking a dead tree, but I like the idea about hanging moss. Do you have a link to that tutorial?

Thanks! I will have a look at this.

I just reminded myself that there is no deadline for the project so might as well try out some things. Maybe also some thinner branches on the tree.

• Like 1

I haven't had an opportunity to use the tutorial for the Spanish moss but thought it looked cool. Your tree made me think it could add to the "creepy" factor maybe. If not, a dead tree looks cool too or even one with just a very few leaves still hanging on.

• Like 1

Depends on the wire you use for the tree. Copper wire will bend, but you would only cover it in a  very thin layer. If you use stronger wire the same applies. The coat is maybe only 0.5 o 1mm thick. 1mm wire can hold itself up. The finest ramifications can be made of copper wire, which is then glued to branches made of thicker wire.

11 hours ago, Peithetairos said:

Depends on the wire you use for the tree. Copper wire will bend, but you would only cover it in a  very thin layer. If you use stronger wire the same applies. The coat is maybe only 0.5 o 1mm thick. 1mm wire can hold itself up. The finest ramifications can be made of copper wire, which is then glued to branches made of thicker wire.

Yes ofcourse, wire. I did try to pull some thin branches out of GS but from where the wire ended, but ofcourse they just bended down.

I cant decide if I should try to make some thinner branches and glue to the existing or leave the tree as it is.. 

by the way, that oak tree is pretty amazing!

Thank you, much appreciated. I used seamoss for the finer ramifications. It holds up well enough soaked in acrylic medium and a bit if plastidip spray on top. I would still use wire for gaming trees. Given it is a barren tree it may pay off to add some finer ramifications. An example for a tree that uses this technique below:

Spoiler

img_7564.jpg

Things are going really slow here, as summer is aproaching and other outdoor activities is calling ...

I bought some flock, to try out to make moss. I started with the stairs, but it seems the flock is way too coarse, as I think it just look like little sticks -wich is exactly what it is- and not much like moss. From a distance it's okay, but closer it's not working.

I was thinking to try and cover it with a layer of glue, maybe with a little fine sand mixed in, to make the surface more rounded and 'soft'.

I did paint the gravestone, light grey with a brown was over it. When I got the moss figures out it should also get a treatment.

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

• Like 9

worked some more on the moss.

Gave it a layer of white glue, painted it MSP Highland Moss, a dark green wash (Army Painter Green Tone) and drybrushed with AV Dead Flesh.

I think I'm happy with it, so I will put some more in a few places. I think it looks a bit better in person than on this photo, where it is still a bit coarse..

IMG_0353.JPG

Edited by LarsM
  • Like 10

Really like how your project comes together. The moss looks more like dense brushes or tufts, so not a bad effect at all. It could also depict dead leaves. If you pick out some of the "leaves" it could convey this.

The tree is coming along nicely and I think the bark texture is visually pleasing. I also like the gravestone. Nice detailing and the wash you applied really brings thm out.

Some suggestions in the spoiler:

Spoiler

I already mentioned it, but here is the step by step for the moss paste if you are unhappy with the result the coarser flock gives:

1. Get some Woodland Scenics Fine Turf. It is very fine ground foam.
  2. Mix it with a suitable green colour and PVA.

img_92081.jpg?w=711

3. Apply this paste to your model with a toothpick.

4. Let dry and apply a brown wash. Drybrush with yellow.

An alternative is AK interactive Light Slimy Grime effect paint. It achieves  very subtle moss effect. Other than that I just recently became aware of another Vallejo product that simulates the texture and appearance of lichen It is part of their Weathering line Moss and Lichen (73827) . I did not try it myself so far, but it looks really convincing. 

Given you are working on a graveyard themed diorama my latest tutorial may be of use to you:

Unrested souls - How to make a graveyard themed diorama base

Did you consider adding some mortar to the brick wall? Woodfiller works well for this. Smear it on and then remove it with a wet tissue. It should only remain between the bricks. If you tint the filler you can leave it just like that.

Finally, what I feel works very well with rock to fuse it all together is a wash using 2 parts water, 1 part matte acrylic varnish and a pinch of dark brown pigment. Apply over all rock surfaces and let dry. 

I could not find the Woodland Scenic Fine Turf, so bought this instead, and on the picture from the shop it looked very fine, but I can see now that the WS Fine Turf is different, might see if I can find it elsewhere.

Hmm, might pick out some leaves..

I have been looking at several of your tutorials, and they are really interesting. Thanks for sharing those, Its a great blog!

I will look at the woodfiller-mortar.

And next big step will be flocking the black areas..Ive done a small test, but found the color a bit too light.. so more testing.

thanks for looking :0)

• Like 1

Progress!!

Got a few things done..

More moss, figured out I should mix a lot more glue and less flock, to make it look better.

I added another gravestone, also with a little moss.

I tried to pick out a few 'leaves' in the moss, but I didnt like the look of it, so painted it over.

I startet flocking, and decided to paint the flock. Dark green, black wash, drybrush with light green, and spottish drybrush with yellow-green.

I added a snake in the grass, made from greenstuff.. might make it a bit darker..

And I added a few more plants. Not all of them are the color I want them to be...and some of them have a dot of white glue at their base.

I gave the stairs a brown wash (Army Painter Soft Tone), and I really like the look of it. They seem a little gloss..more like satin..and I like that, as if they are wet/slippery.

The spanish hanging moss os not far a way ..thats gonna be interesting :unsure:

As always comments and critiqs are welcome.

IMG_0363[1].JPG

IMG_0364[1].JPG

IMG_0365[1].JPG

Edited by LarsM
  • Like 7