14 posts in this topic

Right then. If all goes according to plan, this will be my first post with pictures of something I've converted / built and painted for this site. It's funny because I'm actually nervous about this posting - wondering whether I've got the guidelines down, hoping the pictures will show up correctly, etc. Showing the model doesn't bother me in the least, actually.

For transparency, this model has been posted before on a different website. He was built and painted for a personal challenge that earned me nothing but glory and bragging rights - no money exchanged hands and nothing physical (or metaphysical) was gained. I'm just proud of him ^_^.

He was built using all Games Workshop products for nominal inclusion into Warhammer 40,000 games. I can't play the game anymore but building and painting what I have is still enjoyable - arguably more fun than the game. Anyway, here's the parts list:

• Head - Age of Sigmar Freeguild Greatswords box
  • Torso - 40k Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troops box
  • Legs - Age of Sigmar Flagellants box (a body was taken and sawed in half at the waist and also at both feet)
  • Feet - 40k Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troops box (feet were sawed away and glued onto the previous part)
  • Right Arm with Shotgun - 40k Sisters of Battle Uriah Jacobus (Single Miniature)
  • Left Arm and Hand with Missive - 40k Imperial Guard Cadian Command box
  • Backpack (Main Piece) - 40k Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troops Vox-caster (which has been modified by removal of certain features), Imperial Guard Cadian Command Sheathed Knife, and AoS Flagellants Skull and Scroll
  • Backpack (Mast) - Age of Sigmar Flagellants Board with Scroll and Chained Skull (for dangly skull) and 40k Grey Knights Strike Squad box for dangly Book with Skull
  • Accessories - Age of Sigmar Flagellants box for Chained Hourglass (located on right hip), 40k Militarum Tempestus Scions box for ammunition holders (found along waist) and Grenades (left hip), 40k Space Marine Librarian Ammunition Feed for gun (cut and shaped for Shotgun Cartridge Bandoleer)

Whew! That's quite the laundry list of pieces for one guy but he's special to me for varying reasons so it's alright. I've got some backstory for him, too. I'll put it in 'Spoilers' so it won't inflate the post too much. Feel free to read it or disregard it completely and follow along for the pictures.

Spoiler

When the Plague of Unbelief came, many souls were unprepared for the devastation. The populace’s hearts and minds had drifted from the light of the Emperor. Yes, they toiled at their daily jobs, maintained the same after-work routines, and more-or-less got on with one another, but there was something missing; something so fundamentally wrong that when the storm hit, all the dams broke.

Wayward Far Ajax Lux had noticed this missing cog within the society’s soul from the first few moments after he set foot on the arid soil of Sudari. His passing elicited few genuflections from the flock of the priest he was there to replace. There were some half-hearted signs of the Holy Aquila, a few just looked at the new priest (not in the eyes, mind you), but mostly those in his vicinity toiled with whatever there was to do: a hollow excuse for the unholy to thrive.

Rumours were the precursor to the horror that followed. At first, the whispers about town were of the recently dead “stirring in their burial mounds”. These whispers were beneath the Far so he continued on with his sermons to those with the wherewithal to guard themselves against the impure, the heretic, and the filthy xenos while he taught the younglings of the community about the heroic deeds of the Emperor. He was sowing seeds that would never grow to be harvested.

Guttural screams rang out through the cool night air but were cut short. It seemed to be a staccato from the hellish Warp. This was the night, Far Lux knew, that there would be pandaemonium throughout the streets and throngs would be coming for aid at his humble temple. He knew this because it had happened before. He was reminded of it every time he looked into a mirror. It never left his mind. This time - this place - would be different, he promised himself.

The temple bell did not ring to gather the multitudinous followers for he knew that the devout few were already outside the church. They would be armed for the coming battle but not the war. The Far smiled to himself for those gathered outside were the pious souls the Emperor would surely remember and hold dear during and after their dying breaths.

When the doors did open, a shriek from an unnatural throat was heard for scant moments before the rapport of a blast echoed out from the holy place, the sound of a well-maintained shotgun loading in its second shell for the night filling in the following silence. Many would die. Many had already died. Far Ajax Lux would not be amongst them this night for he was yet to take the mantle of Misjonær and spread the Cult to wayward souls.

Here are the pictures of the Missionary Ajax Lux:

58ba2aedd62a4_Missionary1C-1.JPG.8ad6c1f81cbaea1aa0dc5d1000c26e09.JPG

58ba2b0350b6b_Missionary1C-2.JPG.6305189eef98036dc208257d52f9cca4.JPG

58ba2b0b00fa2_Missionary1C-3.JPG.735bb1f600410b90af38446462b3aa5b.JPG

58ba2b1344f49_Missionary1C-4.JPG.433f791d0733a3eafde5b086adcc560e.JPG

58ba2b1bc0132_Missionary1B.JPG.f7050959d7103302825ea8b69c14c78e.JPG

So, that's the end of that. Thanks for looking and feel free to leave comments and critiques. He may be completed but there's always another model I can improve upon!

Cheers,

Meh

22 people like this

The World is Lego.  Good job seeing it.

6 people like this

Awesome!

He looks great!

2 people like this

That's an amazing conversion; great work there!!

So, what else have you got to show us?

2 people like this

Thanks for the comments and 'Likes', everyone ^_^!

@Chaoswolf - Honestly, I don't have that much to show off. I've been in the hobby for a decade and only in online communities for two or so years. The 40k site I'm on is the only reason I take pictures of some of my stuff and it's also the only reason why the Missionary got made. I guess I owe more than I think I do to that forum. It expanded the hobby for me, that's for sure.

Anyway, a lot of my stuff is just your basic Fantasy and Sci-Fi army models - nothing I feel absolutely needs to be seen. Whenever I can get to feeling a bit better (which is hit or miss at the best of times), I'm planning on prepping some Reaper models and painting them up so I can play some more solo games. I'll take some pictures as I go along for giggles.

1 person likes this

Keep sharing your stuff. I like the gritty feel you achieved with this guy and quite the effective conversion. 

1 person likes this

I dunno what that guy's sellin, but I wish to subscribe to his newsletter.

4 people like this

@KruleBear - Thank you very much. Gritty is what I aim for when it comes to anything miniature related. Factory-fresh models look great but I prefer a little dirt on my guys and girls. A snapshot halfway through the campaign, if you will. I'm glad when someone can appreciate it.

@buglips*the*goblin - Probably a quarterly about knitting is my guess.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You mentioned in another post that you had not really received a critique on this piece. I thought I would take a stab at it. The conversion itself looks pretty darn good, nice work there. It's hard to give a really good critique though, you need to light your pictures much better. Do a quick search on photography and you find a number of excellent threads on the subject.

Some of these are typical comments from me. To really make a mini pop you need to deepen your shadows. That also requires you to bring your highlights up at least a notch, keep them small and precise. For this mini the face seems to be your vocal point yet it is lost in shadow, really bring up your highlights there combined with small dark shadows you can really make this mini come alive.

Right now he has a muddy appearance with everything kind of blending together. Add even just a bit more color will help pull different details away from the muddy look. You did a great job on the conversion why hide that great work?

Edited by Heisler
2 people like this

Yeah, I did a little digging in the bits box before I decided to saw a model in half and here we are. I'm glad it turned out alright in the end.

First off, thank you for the critique! I've been meaning to get a light box for better lighting when pictures are taken but Mrs Meh seems to forget about holidays and gift giving... We may be heathens but we're usually generous heathens. Anyway, I'll look up some tips on what to do until I can acquire a box.

As for the darkness, I see where you're coming from. I'm wary of increasing highlights and contrast because I'd rather not have my models look like Games Workshop style models. As everyone says, the model looks different in person. To show what he really looks like, I'll need to fix the lighting and mess with my camera settings.

I'll definitely try to remedy the lighting until the light box can be ordered. Maybe after that he won't look so muddy. Well, I mean, he is pretty muddy but I know what you're talking about. Thanks again ^_^!

Yeah, the photos make it a little hard to give you a fair critique.  In the future try using a different backdrop. The white paper towel  makes the camera f-stop down. The result is a figure that is "under lit".

Over all, the paint is excellent.  It looks like you could push the value range a bit further. His teeth show there is quite a range of lighter values left unused. Even if you push up your highlights, it can still be gritty.

1 person likes this

You should take a look at the gallery on the ReaperCon.com website. There are galleries for the last three one four years of the contest entries and what they were awarded. That will give you a pretty good idea of what we are looking for. Not every entry is judged although all entries are pictured. While you are there you can read the contest rules. I don't anticipate making any changes to the rules at this point.

1 person likes this

On 3/20/2017 at 9:28 PM, Mehman said:

Yeah, I did a little digging in the bits box before I decided to saw a model in half and here we are. I'm glad it turned out alright in the end.

First off, thank you for the critique! I've been meaning to get a light box for better lighting when pictures are taken but Mrs Meh seems to forget about holidays and gift giving... We may be heathens but we're usually generous heathens. Anyway, I'll look up some tips on what to do until I can acquire a box.

Sorry to be so late on this, but I was just catching up on the ReaperCon classes thread and it lead me here.

The photos of the painted figure here have a single, fairly hard light coming in from camera left and not much from the front. Photographing humanoid figures is essentially portrait photography; you want light mostly from the front.

I would recommend that you not get a lightbox. They're designed to put light on the top and sides of shiny things without giving too hot a specular highlight. Miniatures generally need light on their fronts and are typically not shiny, so specular highlight control isn't especially useful. Lightboxes are a decent tool, but for a different job than photographing miniatures.

Easiest way (developed more fully here) is to use two gooseneck desk lamps down near the table and as close as you can get them without their being in the final photo. Then use a gray background to convince the camera/phone to give you a decent basic exposure (a white background will tend to underexpose the figure and a black background will tend to overexpose the figure). Feel free to reply to the linked thread or PM me if you have any questions.

2 people like this

Thanks for the advice, @Doug Sundseth! You just saved me $89 ^_^! The good news is that I have two desk lamps and, when we're done moving, I'll use your advice and start taking better pictures of stuff. I'll make sure to check out that thread, too.

1 person likes this