118 posts in this topic

I... might have a bunch of Folklore patterns... ? Which you can't have. But you might be able to find them on the interwebs.

3 people like this

I have long admired opera costumers for designing and making inspirational costumes that let larger-sized people look fabulous.  I would recommend taking a look for anyone needing a lift and a reminder that beauty is for everyone.

8 people like this

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I... might have a bunch of Folklore patterns... ? Which you can't have. But you might be able to find them on the interwebs.

Any pointing in the direction of men's patterns would be helpful. All the people I know that make garb are focused primarily on women's garb. They usually have a single men's pattern for a tunic that's basically just taking two sheets, making what's essentially a sack with a neck hole, and adding sleeves if desired. It's simple, it's functional, and it's technically a historically accurate pattern because it's how most shirts are still made to this day, but it gets kinda boring just wearing the same thing as every other guy in my camp. And men's legwear is all but non-existent. We just go essentially bare legged since the majority of our stuff is in summer or otherwise indoors with heat.

Then again, I don't go to very many events or socialize much outside of my local SCAdians. I'm sure that if I ventured out some more I could find patterns. But I don't do well with new social situations. I turn into a wallflower and stick solely with people I already know. So unless someone I know introduces me to someone else, my social group doesn't really expand much.

2 people like this

Until ReaperCon 2016, I hadn't put on a costume in decades.

It was a simple cultist design, an Organization XIII (Kingdom Hearts 2) costume, fingerless gloves, a bandanna and costume jewelry (plus plastic staff).

It was extremely comfortable (kudos to the costume makers), but was also very warm during the day I wore it. Full body vegan leather trench coats don't breath easy.

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

I have long admired opera costumers for designing and making inspirational costumes that let larger-sized people look fabulous.  I would recommend taking a look for anyone needing a lift and a reminder that beauty is for everyone.

I go to MET opera broadcasts regularly, and along with the occasional play, I always admire the costume and want to use them as pattern and color schemes for minis.

And as for +size costumes, this is the bane of many costume wearers. Just finding large sized fictional characters that are instantly recognizable, look great and don't look like a blown up version of a thinner character is ridiculously complicated.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Until ReaperCon 2016, I hadn't put on a costume in decades.

It was a simple cultist design, an Organization XIII (Kingdom Hearts 2) costume, fingerless gloves, a bandanna and costume jewelry (plus plastic staff).

It was extremely comfortable (kudos to the costume makers), but was also very warm during the day I wore it. Full body vegan leather trench coats don't breath easy.[/quote]

Boy, don't they ever.  One great thing about real leather, it breathes.

The outfit sounds awesome.

I go to MET opera broadcasts regularly, and along with the occasional play, I always admire the costume and want to use them as pattern and color schemes for minis.

And as for +size costumes, this is the bane of many costume wearers. Just finding large sized fictional characters that are instantly recognizable, look great and don't look like a blown up version of a thinner character is ridiculously complicated.[/quote]

That's why I recommend opera costume designers.  Unlike just about everyone else, they actively celebrate larger people.  In opera singing talent is the foremost consideration, so unlike in most other entertainment industries people are not weeded out in favor of the most fashionably shaped, so the opera star population reflects the actual population's size distribution, so opera costume designers are actively turning their minds and talents to the matter of dressing any size person beautifully.

The Royal Opera House (UK) seems to have a searchable by opera online collection of opera costumes: http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/CollectionCostumes.aspx

(They also have costumes arranged by ballet, for those who would like inspiration for the smaller end of body types.)

Edited by Pingo
Drat, I seem to have messed up the formatting trying to be clever.
4 people like this

I do not wear a costume ( unless you count my Military garbs..) but I love seeing people wearing those and I appreciate a handmade costume.

Maybe If I ever get my hands on a Glitterwolf outfit...who knows...

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

I do not wear a costume ( unless you count my Military garbs..) but I love seeing people wearing those and I appreciate a handmade costume.

Maybe If I ever get my hands on a Glitterwolf outfit...who knows...

we can just spray you down with glue and then you could roll in the glitter....

Just sayin

7 people like this

2 minutes ago, knarthex said:

we can just spray you down with glue and then you could roll in the glitter....

Just sayin

I knew I could always count on you..

7 people like this

8 hours ago, Unruly said:

Anyone got any 14th century patterns? C'mon, man, I'm really jonesing here. I'll do stuff for some patterns, man. Like, I'll do some stuff, man. I'll even settle for 13th and 15th century, man...

*scratches neck vigorously*

Reconstructing History has a wide selection of men's patterns.  Not always cheap, but I hear they are good.  Beware that the main page of that site is NSFW (unless you work in a lingerie factory). 

Folkwear has a couple of men's shirts that might work for SCA or fantasy. Most of their line is 18th and 19th century. You can often find their patterns cheap on ebay. 

Simplicity and McCalls don't do a bad job with their patterns. The advantage here is they are cheap (1.99) when the fabric store has a sale, relatively simple to sew, and readily available everywhere.  They have a bunch of knock off costumes from recent movies and tv shows. 

4 people like this

I don't remember if it was here that it got mentioned, but upholstery cloth is a great source for interesting patterns that would be appropriate for period costumes.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for making this thread, Pingo! ^_^ 

Aryanun - Cosplay day! Cosplay day! I'm crazy busy 'til June, but that's besides the point. ::P: 

I definitely agree on making my costumes more in line with garb! I have limited funds; I'd like to be able to wear my cosplays multiple times. The clothing parts of my cosplays are generally thrift store finds and self-drafted/edited patterns with the best fabric I can get on sale.

Knarthex mentioned in Randomness about being more relaxed and such while in costume. It's true! Honestly, Morihalda's outfit is why I happily dashed around all Saturday at ReaperCon. I love being "me." And that's not even done, really - just a normal green dress I wear, a skirt I felted, some moccasins I bought (Have you seen the pairs of shoes first timers make? No way. :lol: ), my ears, and of course, my antlers! I'd like to make a better chestpiece one day, but the dress works.

... I don't actually have a full photo of it all. I always forget to take photos of myself. Here's one with the antlers, though, and you can kind of see the felted skirt. ^_^ 

Spoiler

16472821_390537231322368_2073091268917367318_n.jpg?oh=34dc82111b43cef3d3adc8d4e583b2cb&oe=592D8AED

This year is one I've wanted to do since I learned about cosplay - an Ordinator, a royal guard of the living gods in Morrowind. Morrowind is my all time favorite game, and I just loved their design! The game's 15 years old now, so there aren't any high resolution, fancy art pieces to work with. So what I'm creating will be a combination of original concept art, old in game screenshots, and someone else's fan art (by Swietopelk). I'm pretty excited!

It will essentially be the same style as the far right fan art, but with the white cape of the concept art, and the darker blue skirt of the original game content.

Spoiler

8D2G3BB.jpg

Construction:

1 - The first layer of garments will be bleached linen - they were guards of the living gods, I'm sure they could afford that! I should finish the shirt today. I think I'm going to sew the pants as some sort of... stockings. Pants and socks in one. Those two-toe sock things....

I usually go with much cheaper fabrics, like broadcloth, for parts that aren't the focal point of the costume, but Texas! And this is going to be right next to my skin all day, so I need something that can be easily washed. Thank goodness for coupons!

2 - The tunic will be sewn from a navy blue pique knit. I really liked the heavy texture. It will be easier for me to embroider the gold details on the edges, and I think it will look nice next to the smooth armor.

3 - Armor. I will be using a combination of foam and Worbla. Worbla has been around for a few years, but it's still $$$, but a friend gave me a sheet he didn't want anymore. So I'm excited to work with it! I'm super excited to make that mask!

4 - The cape will be made from this light, white chiffon. It's so pretty! It probably would have been more "correct" to use a heavier fabric, but again. Texas.

I can post occasional updates, maybe once I finish each section. ::): 

Edited by Morihalda
9 people like this

That looks awesome, Mori.

Looks like my costume idea is on the backburner. Part of it revolves around me going to Scarborough Faire this year, and that can't happen now (funding). So... I don't know. I've check all the sites online for patterns, and they aren't in my size. I'd have to modify them (which I've done before) but would prefer finding some pieces already done. Still unsure if I want to go skirt or pants. The skirt is cooler, but tends to get hing up on chair wheels.

Piffle.

2 people like this

I wear costumes for extended periods each year.  Over time I have collected lots of bits and bobs. 

It's also amazing how much of my regular closet gets dragged out on to the theatre stage as a costume (even more surprising is how versatile some pieces are).

This year alone I have done Continental Congress (black riding boots, long coat, black fall front pants with button suspenders, many buttoned vest, cravat tied in a coachman's knot, high collared white shirt), Late 1890s-early 1900s in Our Town (different black pants, same white shirt for half the show, black formal shoes, black normal vest and suit coat), and now I'm working on an East Texas comedy of the Jones, Hope, Wooten variety (opening in cut off camo pants, work boots and sleevelss work shirt and transitioning into high heels and a fringe dress before it is all over with).  I've even done period characters in the local cemetary dating back several hundred years.

The only thing I have ever done as "cosplay" would be the time our group of six went to Dallas ComicCon as Firefly cast when Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk were there.  Saw a lot of costumes.  Realized how much a pain it is when you don't have immediate access to dressing rooms.  Also found out how much I like more scripted events.  Besides... ComicCon was a whole wall full of people and larger than any city I have ever lived in all crammed in to one small city block under a single roof.

So, do I like and enjoy costuming? Yes, actually I guess I do.  Do I enjoy it off the stage? No, not very much... but I still might try to do something for ReaperCon anyway.

8 people like this

The only costume that I have that has been worn for more than just Halloween, and even then only a couple times, is my red Gizmonics Institute jumpsuit.  Still need to get the hard hat though.

Spoiler

Not the best picture, and I've lost some weight since then.  Good thing too, had a bit of a time getting it zipped up last time I wore it.

994936_10201914022646248_1561245756_n.jp

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

Okay, this might be a bit long, and imagery. So I apologize in advance. :)
I like to dress up, so I have started to acquire quite a few different costume parts. I tend to mix them among each other for different end results.

I also make masks myself, from latex. Like these halloween costumes: 

#1 inspired from Pan's Labyrinth:
58bd84dcd1da4_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_mxcxiv6l.jpg.4922897eb98fb601022d4197b4ae3e0a.jpg
58bd84ddb1059_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_kWqaIIkl.jpg.18dee526c5cd11fa1d119173200c7802.jpg
video-1477985595.mp4

This was my outfit when I was a part of recording the Gothminister Utopia concert music video.:
58bd84c090582_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_XeWliU6.png.9c2bbbf2b5f54bf9282d29a26444bcf5.png
10151141005965910.mp4

Here I am a priest possessed by the devil: 
58bd843b86b0a_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_CCAI6yU.thumb.jpg.517f636672ed38a8c817c5f2367f778e.jpg

I also have a Dracula outfit, based on the top image below, which I sometimes use for everyday wear. Just because it's nice and classy.: 
58bd846bebf1a_Dracula_Mina-BramStokersDraculaFanArt(8365691)-Fanpop().jpg.8ccbf7e84bc4738e7afc353441117b32.jpg
636238716047955973.thumb.jpg.e6f79e9a68544b105d78b5823bd19a5b.jpg
That said, I have been known to be a more traditional vampire:
58bd8777776b4_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_WMC7X2P.jpg.d4e5f50a43dd23ed5a3c954e3dcd31e2.jpg
It's very easy to adjust for other things, like here, in an Alice in Wonderland event: 
58bd84593dbf2_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_WBi1OrV.jpg.e0cb61207e967c5b9dcd54a9f98c045f.jpg

When we have cosplay meetings, I currently go as Punisher:
58bd898b01bdc_WP_20160311_19_40_56_Pro(2).thumb.jpg.84780d5b035b263a7a213914f987bb1a.jpg

I've also made some for friends: 

WP_20151030_00_39_04_Raw__highres_small_fix.thumb.jpg.484f39d50495571b19f4b679de4d0903.jpg
WP_20161029_19_31_35_Raw_small.thumb.jpg.e76107fa867e21b830f8d47704001843.jpg

Edited by Jaws
15 people like this