142 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Knarthex mentioned in Randomness about being more relaxed and such while in costume. It's true! Honestly, Morihalda's outfit is why I happily dashed around all Saturday at ReaperCon. I love being "me." And that's not even done, really - just a normal green dress I wear, a skirt I felted, some moccasins I bought

And this is why I encourage people to bring costumes.  At the con a bunch of other people are in costume, so you are NOT the weird one dressing up.  You can hang with other people and -- I hope-- be comfortable in a non-judgmental environment. Cons are one of the few places where being in costume IS appropriate. Go with it. :) 

7 people like this

Ooh, I just remembered a other costume I want to make, but which has fallen by the wayside not because of lack of skill, but because of lack of funds - The Question.

The hardest part about it is making the blank face look as real as possible while still being able to see through it. But other people with much more talent and expertise than I have done a lot of legwork in that arena and been kind enough to share their knowledge online. So then it just comes down to having the money to buy a blue suit, blue trenchcoat, blue fedora, blue gloves, and a yellow shirt. I already have the black shoes and tie.

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

And this is why I encourage people to bring costumes.  At the con a bunch of other people are in costume, so you are NOT the weird one dressing up.  You can hang with other people and -- I hope-- be comfortable in a non-judgmental environment. Cons are one of the few places where being in costume IS appropriate. Go with it. :) 

Well....

Let's not over state things, hua? :lol::lol:

5 people like this

About forty years ago, I was involved in an American Revolution reenactment group. I was a member of the corps of Light Infantry. It was THE BEST game of cap guns.

6 people like this

About the only costume I have is my RenFaire garb.  I was pieced together out of hand me downs and some pieces that I bought.

My sister was part of a LARP group and had a "poet's shirt", white cotton that she gave me.  One of her friends had a black leather pair of boots that come up to mid calf that he outgrew.  I picked up a pair of green pants and one of those wide studded leather belts.  That was my early set.  I've since added a pouch, leather arm guards and various swords and weapons.

For RCon, I'm considering going with a grizzled deck hand theme.  The shirt I have works ok.  A bandana headcovering is easy.  Some pants with torn/frayed pant legs with a rope belt is simple as well.  Not sure about foot wear though.  Most sailors went barefoot but I'm not walking around the Con without something on my feet.

9 people like this

I sometimes wear pants.

8 people like this

48 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

For RCon, I'm considering going with a grizzled deck hand theme.  The shirt I have works ok.  A bandana headcovering is easy.  Some pants with torn/frayed pant legs with a rope belt is simple as well.  Not sure about foot wear though.  Most sailors went barefoot but I'm not walking around the Con without something on my feet.

Invisible shoes: https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/02/20/how-to-make-mostly-invisible-shoes/

Rope sandals might work, too. 

7 people like this

56 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Most sailors went barefoot but I'm not walking around the Con without something on my feet.

well, you could be the sailor that didn't sell his boots for grog money....

and a Dutch sailor might have worn wooden shoes....

7 people like this

The costume that I wear most often is that of a responsible adult.

Sorry for the smart-elf answer, but I need to inject a little humor into the day...

I love getting dressed up in costumes. I don't have one in particular; it depends on what the event is, as well as other circumstances like weather.

I'll definitely be following Knathex's advice and being one of those lovable pirates that murdered some landlubber for their boots, arrrr!

8 people like this

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Invisible shoes: https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/02/20/how-to-make-mostly-invisible-shoes/

Rope sandals might work, too. 

They used clear bra straps for those, nice! I like that.

Most of the barefoot shoes I've (politely) inspected :lol: have been mesh straps, colored with markers to match their skin tone.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Aha! With the River Pirates coming in, I could convert my 1776 outfit to a Pirate Lord!  Need a good long red sash, a striking bandana and an eye patch... 

... and lots of air conditioning...

Edited by Grayfax
5 people like this

Air conditioning should be a problem.  I found it on the cool side last year.

5 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

The only costume that I have that has been worn for more than just Halloween, and even then only a couple times, is my red Gizmonics Institute jumpsuit.  Still need to get the hard hat though.

Reveal hidden contents

Not the best picture, and I've lost some weight since then.  Good thing too, had a bit of a time getting it zipped up last time I wore it.

994936_10201914022646248_1561245756_n.jp

Ah yes, you clued me in on where to get the necessary accessories for my youngest to dress in a Gizmonics red jumpsuit for Halloween a couple of years ago.  Thanks!

2 people like this

For those that didn't see my costume last RCon. I wore this:

dwsy113__81334.1462269341.400.600.jpg?c=

So for those that are debating on wearing one at ReaperCon this year, if I can wear this from the HGI to the parking lot of the convention center & then back to the HGI, down to the firepit & through out the hotel (anymore beer runs through me like the mighty Mississippi.....) for the rest of the evening & into the wee hours of Saturday...DO IT!!!! :lol:

9 people like this

That was an awesome costume Haldir! 

I expect that the hall has AC, but last year it was not on and the entrance doors were wide open all day.  In full costume it was a bit too warm.  I know Haldir was too. 

4 people like this