1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Knarthex mentioned in Randomness about being more relaxed and such while in costume. It's true! Honestly, Morihalda's outfit is why I happily dashed around all Saturday at ReaperCon. I love being "me." And that's not even done, really - just a normal green dress I wear, a skirt I felted, some moccasins I bought

And this is why I encourage people to bring costumes.  At the con a bunch of other people are in costume, so you are NOT the weird one dressing up.  You can hang with other people and -- I hope-- be comfortable in a non-judgmental environment. Cons are one of the few places where being in costume IS appropriate. Go with it. :) 

• Like 7

Ooh, I just remembered a other costume I want to make, but which has fallen by the wayside not because of lack of skill, but because of lack of funds - The Question.

The hardest part about it is making the blank face look as real as possible while still being able to see through it. But other people with much more talent and expertise than I have done a lot of legwork in that arena and been kind enough to share their knowledge online. So then it just comes down to having the money to buy a blue suit, blue trenchcoat, blue fedora, blue gloves, and a yellow shirt. I already have the black shoes and tie.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

And this is why I encourage people to bring costumes.  At the con a bunch of other people are in costume, so you are NOT the weird one dressing up.  You can hang with other people and -- I hope-- be comfortable in a non-judgmental environment. Cons are one of the few places where being in costume IS appropriate. Go with it. :) 

Well....

Let's not over state things, hua? :lol::lol:

• Like 5

About forty years ago, I was involved in an American Revolution reenactment group. I was a member of the corps of Light Infantry. It was THE BEST game of cap guns.

• Like 6

About the only costume I have is my RenFaire garb.  I was pieced together out of hand me downs and some pieces that I bought.

My sister was part of a LARP group and had a "poet's shirt", white cotton that she gave me.  One of her friends had a black leather pair of boots that come up to mid calf that he outgrew.  I picked up a pair of green pants and one of those wide studded leather belts.  That was my early set.  I've since added a pouch, leather arm guards and various swords and weapons.

For RCon, I'm considering going with a grizzled deck hand theme.  The shirt I have works ok.  A bandana headcovering is easy.  Some pants with torn/frayed pant legs with a rope belt is simple as well.  Not sure about foot wear though.  Most sailors went barefoot but I'm not walking around the Con without something on my feet.

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

For RCon, I'm considering going with a grizzled deck hand theme.  The shirt I have works ok.  A bandana headcovering is easy.  Some pants with torn/frayed pant legs with a rope belt is simple as well.  Not sure about foot wear though.  Most sailors went barefoot but I'm not walking around the Con without something on my feet.

Invisible shoes: https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/02/20/how-to-make-mostly-invisible-shoes/

Rope sandals might work, too. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Most sailors went barefoot but I'm not walking around the Con without something on my feet.

well, you could be the sailor that didn't sell his boots for grog money....

and a Dutch sailor might have worn wooden shoes....

• Like 7

The costume that I wear most often is that of a responsible adult.

Sorry for the smart-elf answer, but I need to inject a little humor into the day...

I love getting dressed up in costumes. I don't have one in particular; it depends on what the event is, as well as other circumstances like weather.

I'll definitely be following Knathex's advice and being one of those lovable pirates that murdered some landlubber for their boots, arrrr!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Invisible shoes: https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/02/20/how-to-make-mostly-invisible-shoes/

Rope sandals might work, too. 

They used clear bra straps for those, nice! I like that.

Most of the barefoot shoes I've (politely) inspected :lol: have been mesh straps, colored with markers to match their skin tone.

• Like 3

Aha! With the River Pirates coming in, I could convert my 1776 outfit to a Pirate Lord!  Need a good long red sash, a striking bandana and an eye patch... 

... and lots of air conditioning...

Edited by Grayfax
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

The only costume that I have that has been worn for more than just Halloween, and even then only a couple times, is my red Gizmonics Institute jumpsuit.  Still need to get the hard hat though.

Reveal hidden contents

Not the best picture, and I've lost some weight since then.  Good thing too, had a bit of a time getting it zipped up last time I wore it.

994936_10201914022646248_1561245756_n.jp

Ah yes, you clued me in on where to get the necessary accessories for my youngest to dress in a Gizmonics red jumpsuit for Halloween a couple of years ago.  Thanks!

• Like 2

For those that didn't see my costume last RCon. I wore this:

dwsy113__81334.1462269341.400.600.jpg?c=

So for those that are debating on wearing one at ReaperCon this year, if I can wear this from the HGI to the parking lot of the convention center & then back to the HGI, down to the firepit & through out the hotel (anymore beer runs through me like the mighty Mississippi.....) for the rest of the evening & into the wee hours of Saturday...DO IT!!!! :lol:

• Like 9

That was an awesome costume Haldir! 

I expect that the hall has AC, but last year it was not on and the entrance doors were wide open all day.  In full costume it was a bit too warm.  I know Haldir was too. 

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      So I am working on a batch of vampires.

Up until now I have generally painted vampire eyes either like regular eyes, but red

or kind of glowy red-gold.

I felt like I wanted to try some other options.

So I gessoed a piece of bristol board and painted a patch of grey on it (I paint vampire skin grey and white) and added some black blodges to represent eye sockets.

From the centimeter scale, you can see that these are way bigger than mini eyes. That is because I am not a masochist where practice is concerned.

Then I laid in some eye shapes in pale grey (the whites of eyes are pale grey in general, not pure white). You can see a column of them still unplayed-with, third from the left.

I played around with types of preternatural eyes, using a limited palette of Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics: Titanium White, Carbon Black, Red Oxide, Yellow Ochre, Hansa Yellow Opaque, and a very limited amount of Quinacridone Magenta.

Some of the eyes are based on leopard eyes and gorilla eyes.

This way one can test eyes on a large scale before committing to figures.
    • By Pingo
      The GM said we needed a nosferatu, so here we are.

This is Reaper's 02867: Matthias the Twisted, a gnarly rattish vampire.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

(I have to remember that I experimented with a cold blue-grey wash on some vampire figures that avoided all the nice warm undertones.)

I paint vampires with stark white skin, shaded with flat greys mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. This is almost the only time I ever use such a simple mix for greys.

The first layer is a thinned white (blodginess is the underpainting showing through).

Steps in shading:

• By Pingo
      (Note: I actually started these a while back, though they are not done yet. This is a bit less of a WIP thread than a how-I-got-here-so-far thread, which I will update as I get my old pictures organized. Questions and comments and critiques are, as always, welcome.)

Last summer Bad Squiddo Games hosted a brief Kickstarter, "My Last Sunrise," of an assortment of Gothic horror minis centered around vampires. These two stood out to me as a little beyond the Hammer horror ethos of most of the other figures. While I was painting them I thought of them as "Feral Vampires," although when I just rechecked they are called "Vampire Thralls."

I dunno. They don't look very thrall-like to me.

Their tag line in the Kickstarter was "Float about in my night dress cooing for scraps? No way. I hunt my own meal."

Anyhow, they have a fun, odd, lady pirate or highwayman look.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is a slight deviation from how I prime figures. Normally I prime them with Titanium White (which I did here) and then wash over them with Burnt Umber to bring out the details. These I wanted kind of cold-looking, so I washed them with a cold dark grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.

That's them on the left. For a while I was including Bad Squiddo's "Dracula" in the photos, so you get a free peek at that too.

And as per usual, the first thing I did was their skin. In contrast to the skin of living humans, I have been painting vampire skin in stark black-and-white mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. The very first layer is thinned Titanium White, then pale shadows of the lightest grey.

• By Pingo
      This is the classic Reaper 02551, Monique Denoir. There are some gorgeously painted examples of her out there.

Some of this post is quoted from an earlier post, since I find that giving information in each thread is useful, even if in the big picture it's redundant.

Monique Denoir is a Werner Klocke scupt. Her face is classical and lovely. She's certainly popular, and there are many beautifully painted versions out there.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. (I seem to be having a little trouble with it crackling just a bit in some areas, though.) It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers (even though, as I've said before, with a vampire you don't necessarily want "warmth".)

I like to paint skin first as something of the undermost layer. After I have the skin more or less smooth and correct I paint the features.

I have been painting up vampires with stark white skin because I don't seem to have the knack to make them look undead if there is even a little flesh tone in their skin.

This is almost the only time I ever mix grey from pure black and white (rather than a complex mix of brighter colors). The flatness of tone conveys that something is wrong with the individual, and the simplicity of color mix is very easy to shade.

I started with a thin wash of pure Titanium White on her face, bust, and hands (I got her right hand wrong, I see in the photos. I missed her right thumb and painted up part of the sword instead. Be assured Werner Klocke's sculpt is much less clumsy than that. I will correct it later.).

The first approximation of shadows are added, mixed from simple Titanium White and Carbon Black.

And some darker and lighter greys. At the moment the shading is very stylized.

• By Pingo
      I'm playing in a World of Darkness campaign and we need a bunch of vampires.

I'm adapting Patrick Keith's 60138: Sheila Heidmarch, Venture Captain to be a vampire, because not all female vampires hang around graveyards in unlikely and suspicious states of undress.

She's such a pretty and elegant figure! I left off her short sword and staff and filled in the slight dimples where they were meant to go with a little Golden Molding Paste applied with the point of a bamboo skewer. The stuff shrinks when drying, so I heaped it up a little.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. (I seem to be having a little trouble with it crackling just a bit in some areas, though.) It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers (even though, eh, with a vampire you don't necessarily want "warmth".)

I like to paint skin first as something of the undermost layer. After I have the skin more or less smooth and correct I paint the features.

I have been painting up vampires with stark white skin because I don't seem to have the knack to make them look undead if there is even a little flesh tone in their skin. Maybe I should paint them violet or something ...

Anyhow, this is almost the only time I ever mix grey from pure black and white, rather than a complex mix of brighter colors. The flatness of tone conveys something wrong with the individual, and the simplicity of color mix is very easy to shade.

I started with a thin wash of pure Titanium White on her face, neck, bust, and hands.

Then (close ups for a while now) I laid in the first pale shadows. All greys are mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black.

Darker shadows and some lights.

She's rather a mess now, but you can see how the skin shading is beginning to go.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)