142 posts in this topic

Actually I was able to pull the pants & sleeves up + they cracked the door open by the games as I was over most of that day but yah I did get a bit toasty at times. It did take the chill off the night air thou while down at the firepit.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Inarah said:

That was an awesome costume Haldir! 

I expect that the hall has AC, but last year it was not on and the entrance doors were wide open all day.  In full costume it was a bit too warm.  I know Haldir was too. 

I was fine both days in costume. ..

Course, I wear them at the Ren faires in the summer. ..

1 person likes this

... And this is why my base layer is linen. :lol: 

Haldir, you Definitely Didn't Look Like Your Avatar. I loved your costume though!

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Heh. ::D:

For nearly a decade, I used to perform at the national Rocky Horror Picture Show conventions. :B):

Before my gear was lost when they stole my car, I had almost $2000 invested in my costumes. I used to play the roles of Eddy, Dr. Scott and the Criminologist, and had fairly screen-accurate costumes for the second and third, but my Eddie gear was hardcore.

(For those who don't know, "screen-accurate" for Rocky Horror means exactly identical (as much as humanly possible) to the costumes used on the movie - I had the exact model of antique slingshot that Eddie wears around his neck, and the official military-insignia skull pins for the jacket and helmet, as well as an actual antique doctor's head-mounted reflector for Judge Oliver Wright from Shock Treatment, the Rocky sequel. The international Rocky community can tell you every last patch on Frankenfurter's motorcycle jacket and exactly how many rows of sequins are on Columbia's bustier. Sue Blane, the professional costumer who did the film, defers to the community when asked questions about the costumes, due to their encyclopedic knowledge of the film...)

I also made a "patriotic" version of the Eddie costume for the annual 4th of July parade, but never got to wear it... :down:

It was based on the fife player with the bandage on his head from the classic Revolutionary war image, but with the sleeves ripped off, and all the ornamentation from the Eddie costume added on in more patriotic form - "USA" on the back instead of "BABY", gold braiding instead of chains, etc.

In the past, I've made reasonably accurate costumes for Hellboy, the Incredible Hulk and Marv from Sin City...

I've unfortunately never had the cash/spare time to invest in a serious Renfaire outfit, as I'm fairly hardcore about making as much of my costumes as possible by my own hand - not just sewing, but all the leather and metalwork as well.

Also, the pseudo-historical character I'd be playing if I decided to gear up for the Faire (14th C. Irish mercenary who's traveled as far away as the Middle East) has a very specific look that would be hard to find pre-existing pieces for. I've yet to find a pair of boots that match the vision in my head, and probably wouldn't pay the price necessary to have them custom-made just on general principle.

Characters/periods for whom I'd like to someday make costumes if I ever had the time/money include:

- American Revolutionary and Civil wars...

- 1940's, 1900's, and 1600's...

- A number of Medieval and Dark Age costumes, including some heavy armor and weapons...

- DC Comics' Solomon Grundy...

- A character I created who was a member of Clive Barker's Nightbreed, named Isaac, who had a third eye in his forehead that could see the future and the past...

I know there's at least one or two others I've forgotten.

Edited by Mad Jack
7 people like this

Megan and I have entered a negotiation phase in regards to a Beast brocade coat at Hot Topic - I have nothing against brocade coats, but I would prefer to spend (the same amount of) money, and get a real brocade coat, rather than something at Hot Topic - it is not like I won't be able to use it for steampunk, later.

Portmanteau - the folks that made the cowl dress that Megan wore to the pagan retreat last year - make a very nice 18th Century style brocade gentleman's coat.

Same price as the 'official' Beauty & the Beast coat, but without the $25 gift certificate.

I want to regift the $25 back to Megan, and get a real brocade coat instead. (A very warm woolen brocade coat, with actual embroidery.)

The Auld Grump

10 people like this

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

Ah yes, you clued me in on where to get the necessary accessories for my youngest to dress in a Gizmonics red jumpsuit for Halloween a couple of years ago.  Thanks!

Happy to help! ::):

3 people like this

I'm boring with costumes.  Mine now is my Stetson, Jeans Denim Shirt and bandanna. Cowboy, but as you see from my avatar I've done that for about 65 yrs.  A quick costume is a CD/DVD eyepatch as a Software pirate.  Or white shirt with a tie with a coathanger making it curl as Dilbert.  Quick and easy.

6 people like this

I know what you mean, Grump! I want to get that beautiful peacock blue coat that Newt wears in Fantastic Beasts, but I want a real one, not a polyester one sold at Hot Topic.

(Besides, if I learn to sew it myself, I can design my own lining.... :wub: )

7 people like this

3 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I know what you mean, Grump! I want to get that beautiful peacock blue coat that Newt wears in Fantastic Beasts, but I want a real one, not a polyester one sold at Hot Topic.

Hopefully there will be time - Megan wants me in a Beast style coat for the opening night of the new Beauty & the Beast movie. (The only movie that I can remember going in costume for was Rocky Horror Picture Show - I was Riff Raff.)

I am a lot more likely to do costumes with Megan than ever I was with Jackie - mostly steampunk. (I think that Beauty & the Beast is closer to Regency.)

The Auld Grump

7 people like this

3 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Hopefully there will be time - Megan wants me in a Beast style coat for the opening night of the new Beauty & the Beast movie. (The only movie that I can remember going in costume for was Rocky Horror Picture Show - I was Riff Raff.)

I am a lot more likely to do costumes with Megan than ever I was with Jackie - mostly steampunk. (I think that Beauty & the Beast is closer to Regency.)

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this

I've done a few cosplays for conventions. My favorite two that I made mostly by hand were generic Pokemon trainer and Rosalind Lutece from Bioshock Infinite. I also made a splicer from Bioshock from a goodwill dress and some other things. Photos under spoiler because they're big.

Spoiler

pokemon.jpg.a744d9942a1d276dc3e8df92957b054a.jpg

eccc.thumb.jpg.d9e6ce0dbbe9cb254c049b23e01bd036.jpgsplicer.jpg.ad3678cf48940e7269efa3ddf7fc3abf.jpg

9 people like this

Oh, I am also looking for some good plans for Darth Revan's Helmet to render in EVA foam. If I can't find a good enough pattern I'll eventually do what I always do and just start on it and hope for the best. 

5 people like this

(Testing the uploading function)

Section 1 finished! Linen shirt and pants for the Ordinator! 

The shoulders and armpits of the shirt are hilariously bad, but I'm really proud of the pants!! I even got the crotch area properly sewn this time. :lol: 

I think it's because I finally found the best order for those pant seams: You have 4 pant pieces (2 front, 2 back). Sew each front piece to a back piece down the seam between your legs. Sew the back pieces together down the butt seam, then the front pieces together down the zipper area. Then sew the outside parts!

This is the most you'll see of this part - it will be worn under a blue tunic and gold armor.

17201301_406261236416634_851241196560714050_n.jpg

11 people like this

I used to cosplay, back when we called it "dressing up."

Now I simply wear a purple top hat, a carefully selected T shirt, and lots and lots of elan.

9 people like this

52 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I used to cosplay, back when we called it "dressing up."

Now I simply wear a purple top hat, a carefully selected T shirt, and lots and lots of elan.

you forget about the big hair. ..::P:

8 people like this