Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Fancypants

Warlord
Warlord - the state of play

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a reptus army I was going to paint for RCON, but I dont think they do the warlord tourney anymore ::(:. Id like to see a bounce in popularity; from what Ive seen its got some neat mechanics (eg. progressive stat tracks for multi-wound models).

Edited by vulture
3 people like this

2 minutes ago, vulture said:

I have a reptus army I was going to paint for RCON, but I dont think they do the warlord tourney anymore ::(:. Id like to see a bounce in popularity; from what Ive seen its got some neat mechanics (eg. progressive stat tracks for multi-wound models).

Correct. The tourney was axed from the Con last year. I don't play but I too would like to see the popularity come back for Warlord.

2 people like this

Like many here I love Warlord. I've been playing since it was first released. It is near perfect in its balance and polish. My gaming group plays fairly regularly still. As others have pointed out, it is near impossible to find new players. Out of the 6 or so people I have playing it I introduced/taught them all. That formula seems to have been, and is, true since the game came out. It never really seemed to get much attention or traction. Huge shame, because in my humble opinion it is THE best fantasy skirmish game on the market. My suggestion is if you like the game put together two small forces and start trying to spread the word. The game will sell itself to people who like skirmish level games (on a side note the balance scales up VERY well. We sometimes like to play Warhammer sized games of 3k to 6k sized point games. Balance remains intact even at that scale).

3 people like this

Fear not Warlord Fans...

How about a preview from the new unofficial Army Creator depicting a Tembrithil army.

Note: The faction doctrines have not been entered for Tembrithil so there was no doctrine to select.

army-creator-mobile_sample-3_.2.0.1.jpg

1 person likes this

At a quick glance I like it. The one issue I see is the single piece of equipment per model, as there are some leaders and elites I like to put 2-3 pieces of equipment on.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Humansquish said:

At a quick glance I like it. The one issue I see is the single piece of equipment per model, as there are some leaders and elites I like to put 2-3 pieces of equipment on.

I am looking at a way to resolve that... It sort of works in alpha code, so it will likely eventually find its way into the final codebase. I need to give core functionality priority still at this point.

Anyway, in the meantime (once it is made available publicly) you could enter them like [Armor, Weapon, Book] and then add the costs of each piece up and put that value in the cost field. Note: The equipment cost field is computed with the model multiplier.
(Giving you this now because I might forget to later if it doesn't come up again.)

1 person likes this

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, vulture said:

I have an Ideal on how this game could get it's popularity back, Get beast of war to do a Warlord week, So! many gamers eyes are there.

I don't believe that they will promote the game for free and Reaper is not going to pay them any commission.

23 hours ago, wildger said:

I don't believe that they will promote the game for free and Reaper is not going to pay them any commission.

Yeah, I guess you are right and I didn't think about that

On 3/8/2017 at 2:58 PM, Andrewithasword said:

Funny, how I hear that a lot about Reaper miniatures. the last I checked miniature games are played with miniatures. It's sad that Reaper has a great game and it just stuffs on it, why should I buy Reaper miniatures when other game companies have rules and miniatures for their. games     

That question makes no sense. Why should you buy miniatures only from companies that make games? What do you do when a company makes games, but no miniatures?

Plenty of companies make only miniatures for use in other sorts of games, but do not make games themselves. Do you hate on all of them for it?

On 4/6/2017 at 8:50 AM, Dark Horse said:

Humansquish,

I am still getting familiar with the Bones product, that said I do like the larger figures like dragons well enough (though I would still love to replace my Kaladrax with a real metal model - I just like the "heft" and "feel" of the large metal model) anyway... with regards to your post above, doesn't the bones material "flex" a bit, cracking or chipping the paint/sealer on your minis when they are handled like that?

I am an old school lead/pewter/white metal kind of guy and just trying to understand why "plastic" seems to be gaining so much popularity in miniatures (besides cost)... The last "plastic" soldiers I had were the green army type and I personally have no desire to collect those. (No offense to anyone who might - they're just not my cup of tea.)

Thanks in advance for the info.

There is something about the Bones plastic that is compatible with acrylic paints and bonds well to them.  Bones plastic is not very like the green army men plastic, I hear from someone who has painted both.

I have quite a few painted Bones minis and I haven't seen any cracking yet.

2 people like this

On 4/7/2017 at 11:02 AM, Grayfax said:

Also, does anyone play at ReaperCon so I could see some games?  I know I won't be able to field any kind of army by then, but seeing it in action would be very beneficial.

I always bring enough to play (usually a couple of factions worth); as long as there is available table space, I'll be glad to play a game with or just demo for anyone that is interested. Us old BL's are like that. :;):

On 4/8/2017 at 4:02 PM, haldir said:

Correct. The tourney was axed from the Con last year. I don't play but I too would like to see the popularity come back for Warlord.

Actually, it hasn't existed for the last two ReaperCons now; the last tournament was 2014.

~v

2 people like this

I have yet to make it to ReaperCon but am planning/hoping to make it in 2018. I will make sure I bring an army or two . . . 

Edited by Maredudd
1 person likes this