Sign in to follow this  
ThatDeadGuy

Warlord - the state of play

Unfortunately, we don't play the game very much anymore.  We play a lot of games and something about Warlord stops it being the one we pull out.  It's hard to put a finger on why. The rules are good and there are lots of factions and models to choose from.  When we spoke about it, the general consensus is that we just were invested in the Warlord world.  The current books don't have much of a story and the parts there are a bit generic.  The models are amazing but there is no overseer to the game in order to make sure the styles work together between and in each faction.  Warlord falls into the realms of the Vortex game system - the rules are fine but it is hard to get invested when there is no story.

Well for what its worth I think Reaper has tried over the years to make their game world have a story. The problem is most of the story is in materials that are out of print like the Apocalypse game, Warlord's 1st rulebook and the faction books etc... Then I doubt most gamers, and even fans of Warlord know that there are Warlord novels.

We have same problem in our group with it being liked, but not enough to ever play it over something else. 

the general consensus is that we just were [not?] invested in the Warlord world.  The current books don't have much of a story and the parts there are a bit generic.  The models are amazing but there is no overseer to the game in order to make sure the styles work together between and in each faction.  Warlord falls into the realms of the Vortex game system - the rules are fine but it is hard to get invested when there is no story.

A few years ago, I was part of a group who were trying to come up with ideas on how to revitalize the game.  Some of the suggestions were great but nothing came of it.  Perhaps someone will have better luck in the future.

1. Why does there have to be a story?

2. Write your own story[?], draw your own map, assign factions various places...

3. The Warhammer players are gnashing their teeth, mumbling in corners, and running around in circles because the owning company of Warhammer ...literally blew up the planet and annihilated everything they had ever written...

...being invested is not that great of an idea. Background story is called "fluff" for a reason.

• Like 4

Anyone heard back from Ed? This is what always happens with Warlord.

Five days before a Kickstarter launches, Darth Abacus is crunching numbers, not pondering Warlord.

• Like 3

the general consensus is that we just were [not?] invested in the Warlord world.  The current books don't have much of a story and the parts there are a bit generic.  The models are amazing but there is no overseer to the game in order to make sure the styles work together between and in each faction.  Warlord falls into the realms of the Vortex game system - the rules are fine but it is hard to get invested when there is no story.

A few years ago, I was part of a group who were trying to come up with ideas on how to revitalize the game.  Some of the suggestions were great but nothing came of it.  Perhaps someone will have better luck in the future.

1. Why does there have to be a story?

2. Write your own story[?], draw your own map, assign factions various places...

3. The Warhammer players are gnashing their teeth, mumbling in corners, and running around in circles because the owning company of Warhammer ...literally blew up the planet and annihilated everything they had ever written...

...being invested is not that great of an idea. Background story is called "fluff" for a reason.

Hey now.  This is totally incorrect.  

We are gnashing our teeth, mumbling in corners, and running around in circles because the rules for the game that is replacing Warhammer have leaked and they are so terrible that if I described them here no one would believe me.  If Reaper had decided to use Bones III to relaunch Warlord their timing couldn't possibly been better.

In totally unrelated news:

What's the elevator pitch for Warlord if someone were to be shopping around for new games to play.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 1

But wouldn't it be great if, while he was crunching numbers on which models to include in the kickstarter, that Warlord was dancing through his thoughts and he put more figures, both the named, and the rank and file troops, into the kickstarter (namely the mounted figures!) and has the thought that maybe, just maybe, now would be a good time to revamp the Warlord rules into a multi layer PDF... all in color for its viewing glory, and with the ability to turn off the page background and border, for folks to be able to print out a reduced rule set (with color or B&W pictures)?

The background story for the world would be included in the print version.

• Like 2

Elevator Pitch:

Warlord is a scalable skirmish game where you field between 10 and 40 troops depending upon the point value of the game. These troops use unit cards available for free online and you can substitute ANY reaper figure (for tournament games) without any problem. The rule set is easy to understand and after a game or two, you will have picked up the majority of the rules. Best of all, if there is a difference in opinion related to the rules, both players roll a die and the highest number chooses the interpretation of the rule for the remainder of the game. Fellowship, good gamesmanship (being a good sport) and fun are emphasized over "winning".

• Like 6

Let's not forget cheap figures. $3 or less per model (in Bones) and leader/elite units don't cost more than rank and file soldiers.

• Like 4

Elevator pitch: small units with a lot of variety, easy to handle, easy to collect, easy to play, doesn't require a minivan to lug around, but with a much more classical fantasy feel and less combo-driven than Warmahordes. Also, the miniatures cover all your favourite DnD tropes, making them great for crossovers into a dungeon crawl. Speaking of which, Warlord is pretty good for a dungeon crawl, too.

• Like 4

I got into Warlord many years ago after seeing it at Gen Con. Unfortunately I ran into the problem of not many people in my area played it. Last year I finally found someone to game with and we try to play once a month.

Edited by WolfLord
  • Like 2

To what degree are units part of the game?  I think I'd rather have something with small skirmishing units with some leaders  than just individual models running around.  

Also, if someone has played A Song of Blades and Heroes, how do the two games compare?

BTW, I'm liking  "but with a much more classical fantasy feel and less combo-driven than Warmahordes" as a description. 

[edit]  Oh and thanks for the replies!

Edited by lowlylowlycook

In Warlord, your army is broken up into troops.  Each troop needs a leader which can be a warlord, captain, or sergeant unless a special ability allows a troop form without a leader.  Also some troops may just be a single model like a monster or character with the solitaire ability.  The number of models in a troop is determined by the leader's troop capacity which is stated on their stat card.  The troop capacity is given as a range so there is a minimum number of soldier models needed and a maximum number of soldier models that leader can command.  There is second number after this range which is the number of elites that leader can take.  So for example, a leader's stat card might say (3-6/2).  This means that the leader must at least take 3 soldier models and no more then 6 soldier models, and may also take up to 2 elite models.  So if you were to max out this leader's troop capacity, you could take 6 soldier models and 2 elites for a total of 8 models.  Another thing that is pretty unique to Warlord is that there is no unit coherency rules besides from deployment.  This means 1, no penalties if you troop gets split up, and 2, you can have really diverse models in a single troops.  So for example, I could mix both cavalry and standard infantry units into the same troop. I can have the cavalry units charge ahead with their greater movement while the infantry march behind.  There are benefits for keeping a troop together such as Support which if you have 3 or more models attacking an enemy, you gain +1 to hit.    

• Like 3

Five days before a Kickstarter launches, Darth Abacus is crunching numbers, not pondering Warlord.

Fair enough, but he did say he'd check and get back to us 'tomorrow'.

So, about that Warlord PDF...

:devil:

I will check on this tomorrow.

best

Fair enough, but he did say he'd check and get back to us 'tomorrow'.

Actually, he said he would check tomorrow.  He never gave a time frame for when he would respond.

• Like 2