Reaperbryan

ReaperCon 2017 Classes Preview

282 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Highlander said:

This is getting better and better.  Anyone know what the class limit will be ... how many classes each person can sign up for?

It's really a good idea not to overburden yourself, especially with back-to-back classes. Besides having to rush between classes, you'll miss out on other stuff as @Cranky Dog said.

Also, schedule in lunch and dinner.

My advice, write down a list of things you really want to learn, mark if demo or hands-on is important, then prioritize. My list looks something like:

Sculpting (hands on)

OSL (either)

Monochrome (hands on)

Advanced Basing (hands on)

Conversions (either)

Painting Flats (either)

Etc... 

Once you have your list, it's easier to pick classes.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Taking as many classes as you can fit in your schedule isn't necessarily a good thing. You'll be missing out on all the other side activities.

- Paint-N-takes

- RPGs

- Boardgames

- Visit to Reaper HQ

- All the shopping and scavenging at the melt table!

- Talking to the all the pro painters/sculptors

- Chilling out with the rest of us.

I had a full schedule of classes and games at my first ReaperCon last year, and I felt like I missed out on a few things.

QFT.

I jammed in as many scheduled activities as possible for my first Reapercon, and, while I did enjoy myself, I noticed that I missed out on a lot of the other things, like Cranky just mentioned.

Last year, I was more laid back and managed to get in on some of the 'other' activities.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Aryanun said:

It's really a good idea not to overburden yourself, especially with back-to-back classes. Besides having to rush between classes, you'll miss out on other stuff as @Cranky Dog said.

Also, schedule in lunch and dinner.

My advice, write down a list of things you really want to learn, mark if demo or hands-on is important, then prioritize. My list looks something like:

Sculpting (hands on)

OSL (either)

Monochrome (hands on)

Advanced Basing (hands on)

Conversions (either)

Painting Flats (either)

Etc... 

Once you have your list, it's easier to pick classes.

This isn't Highlander's first time lol. They like to take as many classes as possible.

But still good advice for ppl.

Edited by Mr Melons
3 people like this

53 minutes ago, Mr Melons said:

This isn't Highlander's first time lol. They like to take as many classes as possible.

Yup.  This ain't my first rodeo.  I go for the classes.  And to view the minis.  Because of the cost involved, I feel I need to max out my classes.  If I were only going to attend one or two, it wouldn't be, for me, cost effective.

4 people like this

We have added new classes by 6 additional instructors.

Michelle Blastenbrei, Glen Phillips, Ian Markon, Greg Zuniga, Brice Cocaneur, and Matt DiPietro.

We will continue to add more instructors and classes to the mix throughout the next few months, so keep an eye out!

8 people like this

On 4/1/2017 at 5:00 PM, Serenity said:

Last year the limit was 8 classes per ticket.  

Oh. Oh that's dangerous. I thought it was totaling 8 between my husband's and my ticket!

I need to increase my RCon budget.

..... Just in case.... :ph34r:

6 people like this

I wanted to take 6 but only got in 5 last year and that really seemed to be the perfect amount with Saturday as a day off from classes to play Pathfinder and shop.. otherwise you like to think you have enough time to shop before they close but in reality...

4 people like this

7 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

I wanted to take 6 but only got in 5 last year and that really seemed to be the perfect amount with Saturday as a day off from classes to play Pathfinder and shop.. otherwise you like to think you have enough time to shop before they close but in reality...

This.  I took one class a day, but spent most of my time running Frostgrave demos.  I didn't get as much socializing/gaming/shopping time in.  I'll be shooting for one class a day again, but I won't tie myself down to one place.

5 people like this

In the words of the great George Strait:

But I'll be lookin' for 8 when they pull that gate

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

We have added new classes by 6 additional instructors.

Michelle Blastenbrei, Glen Phillips, Ian Markon, Greg Zuniga, Brice Cocaneur, and Matt DiPietro.

We will continue to add more instructors and classes to the mix throughout the next few months, so keep an eye out!

Grrrrrrrr I just made a list like 4 hours ago!

4 people like this

6 minutes ago, Mr Melons said:

Grrrrrrrr I just made a list like 4 hours ago!

I'm sorry.

I thought it was clear that this schedule of courses was being added to on a regular basis and was not yet complete.

8 people like this

Please don't stop on our account.  We get to make and remake our lists ... each time the lists get better and better.

7 people like this

3 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

I'm sorry.

I thought it was clear that this schedule of courses was being added to on a regular basis and was not yet complete.

I know.....I had unintentionally not checked it the last update and ironically the morning i went "oh i should look at the list and make a list" ya dun gone and added more lol

3 people like this

sigh.  I want to take classes this year, but I also want to just enjoy hanging out with everyone and relaxing and all that.  I'll have to think on it.  Plenty of time to plot and plan!

7 people like this

29 minutes ago, Corporea said:

sigh.  I want to take classes this year, but I also want to just enjoy hanging out with everyone and relaxing and all that.  I'll have to think on it.  Plenty of time to plot and plan!

No there is not.  You will be spending all that time getting your entries done. :P

3 people like this