Reaperbryan

ReaperCon 2017 Classes Preview

214 posts in this topic

I would expect the shuttle schedule to be the same or very similar to last year's.

And I can guarantee we will not schedule the last shuttle to run before the 8-10pm class adjourns because we're not [redacted]'s. so probably 10:15-10:30 ish.

8 people like this

13 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Hmmmm, might cut into my fireside Kraken time, but it's possible.  What time does the last shuttle to the hotel leave the convention center?

This will inform my class picks too...

4 people like this

My daughter is dead set on booking the Douglas Cohen class Sculpting and Posing a Figure.  I am cool with that. But I was curious about one detail.  Can we find out what medium (putty) the instructor plans to use? I would like to have my kid experiment and get familiar with the medium before RCon.

5 people like this

12 minutes ago, DixonGrfx said:

My daughter is dead set on booking the Douglas Cohen class Sculpting and Posing a Figure.  I am cool with that. But I was curious about one detail.  Can we find out what medium (putty) the instructor plans to use? I would like to have my kid experiment and get familiar with the medium before RCon.

I might suggest you contact Mr. Cohen directly, as he did not share those details with us. I am unsure if he is on social media, but it may be worth your time to find out?

2 people like this

16 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

Oh, and we changed the room numbers to Room Names, so that if we need to move a room around on the map, we don't end up with funky situations where Room 1 is now between Rooms 4 & 5, instead the Invisible Man is between The Fly and The Creature ( From the Black Lagoon). Rooms will be labeled with signage, and on the map. We premiered this with game tables last year, and it made it very easy for us to adjust the table locations within the area to suit the needs of the space. Since the current Map is still in flux, we desperately need this flexibility, and we also think it adds a touch of whimsy.

Speaking of Games...

Games Submission is expected to launch for GM submission before the month is out, so that a full schedule of activities will be available before classes go live for sale (in June). Exhibitor (vendor) Applications are also being accepted starting this week, so we will be able to give you all a preview of the Exhibitor Area as well.

We will make announcements here and on Facebook and Twitter when games submissions open.

The names on the tables were a nice touch last year. A ode to the classics!!

I guess that means I better finalize what I'm actually gonna run this year, :huh: :lol:

7 people like this

22 hours ago, DixonGrfx said:

Doug's go-to putty has been Aves Apoxie Sculpt. You'll find examples of his work on the Timelines forums. His most recent is 'Gettysburg, Hancock Takes Command' on the SBS Tutorials forum. Great stuff.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, GlenP said:

Doug's go-to putty has been Aves Apoxie Sculpt. You'll find examples of his work on the Timelines forums. His most recent is 'Gettysburg, Hancock Takes Command' on the SBS Tutorials forum. Great stuff.

Thanks Glen. I appreciate it.

1 person likes this

Additional Classes by Kat Jackson and Tish Wolter have been added, as well as corrections of earlier submissions by Caleb Wissenback.

4 people like this

And suddenly... I'm concerned about Red Death Reservations... late at night when the hands of blue arrive...

2 people like this

Kind of Ominous, isn't it? 

4 people like this

On 2017-04-06 at 0:34 PM, Reaperbryan said:

I would expect the shuttle schedule to be the same or very similar to last year's.

And I can guarantee we will not schedule the last shuttle to run before the 8-10pm class adjourns because we're not [redacted]'s. so probably 10:15-10:30 ish.

Sigh! Though the shuttle schedule is actually pretty decent, the fun was still going on when the shuttle was on its last trip.

Therefore, car renting and car pooling are almost recommended if you want to get the maximum benefit of the daily activities.

4 people like this

21 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

Additional Classes by Kat Jackson and Tish Wolter have been added, as well as corrections of earlier submissions by Caleb Wissenback.

This just gets mo' betta and mo' betta.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Here's a question for the veteran attendees.  I see that some classes are repeats from 2016, at least in name.  How often if, if ever, does the class content change/evolve from year to year? 

Has anyone taken the same classes in sequential years? 

Edited by hdclearman

The same class topic/name from different instructors may be very different. Each of us develops our own content for classes independently, and may emphasize different techniques, reference materials, colour scheme approach, and so on to a topic like painting flesh tones or NMM or whatever other topic. So there is often a benefit to studying with different instructors because everyone teaches differently, and everyone learns differently.

I cannot speak for every instructor to answer the question how much does a given topic of something I teach change from year to year. Speaking for myself, I review my class handouts, reference materials, and process for a subject prior to each session of teaching it. Sometimes I just clarify wording, sometimes I update photos, sometimes I add new information based on things I might have learned or expanded my understanding of, every great once in a while I tear it all down and rebuild it if there's been a significant enough shift in my approach/understanding. I am also always looking for ways to use better examples in class, which might include photos of figures, painting specific demonstration figures to have on hand, painting on paper, and whatever else I can think of to better help people understand. I am also always looking for a way to maximize the time people have to paint and get feedback from me in a hands-on class by streamlining the other stuff. So from one year to the next not a huge change, but a decent evolution all the time.

As a student, I haven't taken a ton of repeat classes, but I've had a few other the years. Some painters seem to constantly be changing their approach  and incorporating new things, with most it's more along the lines of over time refining what they do and/or how well they can convey that information to others. 

How much I get out of a class can also change based on me rather than the instructor. If I've made a fairly significant leap in understanding and/or ability to use my brush, I might get more or different information on a second round of going over similar material. 

8 people like this

Thank you Wren.  This is pretty much what I was hoping was the case. 

There are just so many good classes, I was hoping that the classes that I could not get to last year would be relatively the same this year.