Reaperbryan

ReaperCon 2017 Classes Preview

282 posts in this topic

Nice, Guindyloo! Now you just need to get it set up so when I click one it adds that class to my cart on the website. :P

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

So I was reading this yesterday and I know Bryan doesn't have time and I was bored in a meeting, so I threw together this spreadsheet. It is to be considered completely UNOFFICIAL for personal use and as such, Reaper's information on their site is to be considered the one truth.

I mainly made it for myself because I was finding the class list a bit overwhelming and it gave me a good excuse to really go through them and then also a handy guide for a class wish list. I'm not promising I'm going to update the shared version, but I thought some people would find it useful as a starting point.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2fnyN8uOgs1M0ItSjRrNVhPM2s

Hi Guindyloo! 

Hope you are feeling better!! ! 

2 people like this

The whole skill level thing is further complicated by people's assumptions about what is difficult to do. 

There's a general assumption that OSL is an advanced level technique. In my opinion, you can do some effective OSL with drybrushing, and you can do not great OSL with the smoothest blending in the world. It's a lot more about understanding the principles of where to place light and shadow and colour choices and things like that. How you apply the paint might make it prettier, but not necessarily mean the effect of the light is any better. 

NMM, on the other hand, is something that you can understand the principles of intellectually quite well, but still fail to pull off if you don't have the core skills that Kuro mentioned developed enough to apply the paint in a way that demonstrates those principles.

8 people like this

On 5/11/2017 at 0:16 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

The whole issue is further complicated by the Dunning-Kruger Effect. In painting (much like in skiing) it shows up as nearly everyone considering himself to be "intermediate".

It may even be worse in painting because not only do painters not estimate their skills correctly, they also can't even see the effects of higher levels of skill until they reach some level near the level needed to execute a skill.

This can result in some seriously awkward critique discussions after competitions, btw.

I consider myself a "very advanced beginner". ::P:

2 people like this

Something I was supposed to do earlier this week but I've been a little busy.

https://reapercon.com/about

All the way at the bottom, in the list, you'll see that there's now an application to fill out for one of the remaining class slots, if you want to teach.

That's Right. If YOU want to teach. (or, if not you, then someone you know that you want to have teach, but they aren't on the schedule yet - you could direct them to this link) 

There's a few simple rules, all outlined at the top of the first page of the application process, and I must stress that submission of an application is no guarantee of acceptance of your submission.

But maybe some of you, or some of the people you know, have wanted to teach at ReaperCon, and never knew how to get in - we're making it easier for you, with this handy link.

11 people like this

I'm curious. Does the class have to be painting oriented? Could there be a "How not to suck at Dungeon/Game Mastering" course? Or say "Intro to World Building" class?

3 people like this

On 5/20/2017 at 7:27 PM, Mr Melons said:

I'm curious. Does the class have to be painting oriented? Could there be a "How not to suck at Dungeon/Game Mastering" course? Or say "Intro to World Building" class?

We would examine any submission for approval, so I'm not going to say this:

you are free to submit anything. I am unsure what the committee would think about those kinds of classes, and in the past, such courses have not performed well, but it is possible we might experiment a little and try such things to see how they go over now, as the con and crowd have grown and evolved since the early days

2 people like this

Do we have an official date for class purchases to be open?  The last thing I saw was "sometime in June."  :-)

Probably after Ks fulfillment or so. So about a couple weeks or more.

1 person likes this

Good point Haldir.  I just want to be more prepared than last year.  I employed the "just check every day" method, for a while, and then literally the only time I missed one day it wound up being two days before I went back, and I missed out on a lot of what I wanted :-(

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Considering that they have to do badge registration first......it might be some time.

Edited by Mr Melons
1 person likes this

A good way to stay ahead of the game (for everyone) is to like the Reaper Facebook page, the ReaperCon Facebook page, and follow their Twitter profiles. They announce it on those around the same time as here.

3 people like this

1 minute ago, Mr Melons said:

A good way to stay ahead of the game (for everyone) is to like the Reaper Facebook page, the ReaperCon Facebook page, and follow their Twitter profiles. They announce it on those around the same time as here.

What is this Fistbork of which you speak?

:huh:

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I suggest no one Google Fistbork.

Not from work anyways.:blink:

6 people like this

6 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

A magical place where you are socially engineered to view things you never knew you liked before....

Feed example:

"Liked Reaper miniatures? Why not check out miniature horses? Don't like those, why not check out miniature grim reapers? Don't like those, how about brothers grimm fairy tales? No? What about miniature brothers reaping horses? No, well then there's no pleasing you."

9 people like this