Reaperbryan

ReaperCon 2017 Classes Preview

282 posts in this topic

This morning, we were able to add 7 additional classes by John Bonnot and Justin McCoy, as well make corrections to a course by Rhonda Bender.

No new courses will be aded for the next week, as I will be at Adepticon, but when we return we will begin work n the next round of artists.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Bryan. Have fun at Adepticon!

Ooooooh, monochrome with Schubert.

Edited by Aryanun
6 people like this

5 hours ago, Corporea said:

but taking a class from him is a great experience!  Sometimes just watching someone really awesome paint teaches me things I could do differently, or ways to approach a project I wouldn't have thought of.  I've taken classes at Reapercon for the last 3 years, and I loved all of them.  I took both sculpting and painting classes.  Each time I learn something.  I haven't taken a "bad" class, so you can't go wrong, honestly.  I even took Jess's basic freehand class because I wanted to learn the way she approaches patterns.  I suck at patterns and planning them.  I learned so much from that class and it's helped me become a better painter.  Everything we do and practice adds something to our painting arsenal.

Most of all, have fun.  That's my personal goal!

Yeah, I took Derek's freehand class, and while I learn some things about freehand I hadn't previously know; it was the least thing I got from the class.  What I really got from that class was 2 hours of watching how Derek approaches a mini and why he is so darn fast and yet still master level.  He actually mixes paint ON THE BRUSH.  It was intense to watch him and I have spent the last couple years trying his techniques for myself.  I haven't mastered it yet, but he still added a few tools to my box that have doubled my painting speed without a loss of quality.

Whatever class you take, go into it with an open mind and look for opportunities to learn beyond the class title.

Oh and @Mehman, I'd love to have you in either my HNTS: Sculpting class or the Armature class. If not, stop by and we can talk sculpting figures anyway! :)

8 people like this

If I make it, @TaleSpinner, your HNTS Sculpting class is on my short list.

3 people like this

23 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

If I make it, @TaleSpinner, your HNTS Sculpting class is on my short list.

That was a good class! 

But it was not hands on, more theory...

1 person likes this

I would love to take any beginner sculpting classes this year just to try and learn some stuff to show my daughter.  My worry is that I have no interest in sculpting and would be afraid I would not get much out of it to share with her....or I would just suck at teaching her what I learned.

@DixonGrfx - Thanks for your thoughts on which classes could benefit me! I'll definitely check them out when it comes time to schedule proper. I like the sound of "Leveling Up" because, you know, I need to cash in my good roleplaying points somewhere :lol:!

@TaleSpinner - I was actually eyeing both of those classes! I'll try to swing both but we'll see how everything fills up and if my stamina will last. I don't think sitting down that long will tire me out too much. HNTS is on my mental list already so adding the Armature class shouldn't be a problem.

2 people like this

Looking over what's available now, and that Derek is one already on the schedule, I noticed that Painting Expresive Faces isn't one of his classes this year. It may sound odd, but his Monochrome class could be a better choice anyway. It's more than just a study of value  and contrast. It delves into expressing textures with paint techniques without the complications of hue. That particular class is on my short list this year. And Ronda's Level up class is fantastic. She has been refining the class for a couple years and the handout is excellent. It's more of an overview on how to critique your own work and how to interpret others critiques of your work. Then practical application.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I thought I knew what I was going for after a first perusal, but of course everyone wants most of these classes... and then MONOCHROME!  Not that I don't understand it, but I have a plan for a Kickstarter coming in the next few months that I want to do half of it in monochrome.  Soooo many great choices so far.  Will just have to see how everything goes.  (Edit: Blech... a 4 pm class?!?  Well... monochrome just scrunched down the list...)

If classes are going on sale in June, does that mean tickets will be prior to this?  I'm assuming so, since the class tickets were tied to ReaperCon tickets last year.  And I'll ask this and then stumble across it in another thread... but just in case, I'm asking anyway.

Edited by Grayfax
3 people like this

On 3/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, Grayfax said:

Yeah, I thought I knew what I was going for after a first perusal, but of course everyone wants most of these classes... and then MONOCHROME!  Not that I don't understand it, but I have a plan for a Kickstarter coming in the next few months that I want to do half of it in monochrome.  Soooo many great choices so far.  Will just have to see how everything goes.  (Edit: Blech... a 4 pm class?!?  Well... monochrome just scrunched down the list...)

If classes are going on sale in June, does that mean tickets will be prior to this?  I'm assuming so, since the class tickets were tied to ReaperCon tickets last year.  And I'll ask this and then stumble across it in another thread... but just in case, I'm asking anyway.

That's the plan.

We've added a few additional classes today, and will be adding many many more over the next few months.

5 people like this

Looks like Michael Proctor and I will be good friends in the mornings. I better bring lots of caffeine. :;,;:

So many classes I want to take! Argh! May be expanding to 2 classes per day. :wow:

5 people like this

This is getting better and better.  Anyone know what the class limit will be ... how many classes each person can sign up for?

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

This is getting better and better.  Anyone know what the class limit will be ... how many classes each person can sign up for?

Last year the limit was 8 classes per ticket.  

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Highlander said:

I took a morning and afternoon class the first 3 days last year, leaving Sunday free....

Was a good thing.....

for me anyway....

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Highlander said:

Taking as many classes as you can fit in your schedule isn't necessarily a good thing. You'll be missing out on all the other side activities.

- Paint-N-takes

- RPGs

- Boardgames

- Visit to Reaper HQ

- All the shopping and scavenging at the melt table!

- Talking to the all the pro painters/sculptors

- Chilling out with the rest of us.

I had a full schedule of classes and games at my first ReaperCon last year, and I felt like I missed out on a few things.

6 people like this