Pineapple

Pineapple's WIP #1: Olaf, Viking Chieftain 03240

28 posts in this topic

Nice to see you got him going and with a straightened out axe. I tend to paint from the skin out, just as if you were putting on the clothing and whatever bits the mini has. It sometimes saves you from having to try and squeeze your brush past already painted areas to reach a spot.

You picked a nice mini with lots of different textures going on!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Eyes are good!

Happy you got the axe straightened out.

It is indeed a great mini, there is fur, skin, armor, hair..so you can practice different techniques.

Also the shield, maybe a nice pattern or freehand even?

The wooden inside of the shield, make sure you got an even white coverage, still showing the woodveins

Then apply a thin chestnut ink or a thin brown wash.

Instant good looking woodworks.

Edited by Xherman1964
2 people like this

Yep, I did preserve the wood grains.  There's a section at the bottom of the shield were they weren't on the model.  Too hard to sculpt maybe?  That section is largely in shadow though, so it's not really noticeable to anybody but the most detail-oriented observer.

Got most of the skin, leather and woodwork started.  Still have a some detail/highlights to do on certain parts.  I couldn't get a particularly clear picture without using the flash, and then that washed out a lot of the colors.

Olaf3r1.jpg.95db766861b3fa9ed6aacd36d4523d74.jpg

Olaf4r1.jpg.41d1c9e39d3703c52dd28bb26be72e98.jpg

The cloak will be the next big section I tackle.  I didn't have any blues I liked, so I ordered a triad of Reaper blues that are muted and should make for a good trusty wool cloak.  I'm also going to redo the trousers a bit to make them more gray instead of brown to separate them from all the leather just a bit.  The face of the shield (not pictured since that part of the mini hasn't really been touched yet) doesn't necessarily need freehanding as it has some filigree wolves sculpted onto it.  Probably do a blue field on the face of that, and then I'm trying to decide how to do the metal details on the buckle, scabbard and filigree parts.  I'm tempted to do copper because I think it's a cool color that doesn't get used often and I'm planning to give Olaf fairly red hair.  Could also just do silver, which was a common decorative metal for Vikings from what I've read.

8 people like this

Looking good so far.

Vikings had more silver, but it is also fantasy, so if you want to use gold do as you please.

As for pics/flash.

I usually use a daylight lamp for painting, and when taking pics I also use it to light it all up.

Normally I put up a little neutral background behind, under and one side next to the mini,. creating a sort of open box.

Then light that with the daylamp and I don  need flash then.

Maybe this is useful to you.

1 person likes this

Yep, lighting with a lamp worked pretty well.

Got his cloak painted.  Pretty happy with my first attempt at layering several shades, but it's not perfect.  The lines between each shade are not as stark to the eye as they appear on camera blown up under bright light, but they are noticeable if you look for them.  I tried to get the paint reasonably thin, but I have trouble controlling it sometimes if I let it get too thin.  Any advice?

Thanks again!

Olaf5r1.jpg.85195fd860c59408052113b29c9615e0.jpg

7 people like this

Try to make your brush strokes on the cloak horizontal and small instead of vertical long. That combined with thin paint and lots of layers is key to blending (at least for layering from what I have come across).

4 people like this

Good job so far!

You can also take your midtone and make a glaze out of it...( mix with water and glaze medium, test on a surfcae like a plastic cup, if you can see the cup through the paint it is thin enough)

Basically you got coloured water.

Now use a thin layer of that to go over the "harsher" lines. let dry, repeat and keep repeating till you're satisfied with it.

This will mute the contrast.

If you apply to much, you need to re-highlight.

1 person likes this

Yay progress!

Got the red hair and the copper bits done.  (Forgot the filigree on the axe, but I can come back to that.)  The red hair was done with Vallejo Woodgrain and Reaper Auburn Shadow in the darkest recesses, then moving up in stages through Carrot Top Red and Orange Highlight.  The copper parts were done with Vallejo Copper, a wash of Vallejo Copper and Reaper Auburn Shadow, and then a drybrush of 1:1 Vallejo Copper and Gold, and then a final drybrush of just Vallejo Gold on the very highest parts.

Olaf8r1.jpg.27ec5eba2592e03175619f25cdf4f779.jpg

Olaf9r1.jpg.a2d0fe0539ac9474b46c5ec585c408ce.jpg

I don't have any glaze medium, but I'll come back to that.

7 people like this

Been over a week, but I finally got more time over Spring Break.  Touched up the detail on his shield and finished the metal portion.  I also redid the axe head to reflect the way medieval axes were typically made. (Iron head, steel cutting edge.)  And probably most obviously, I tackled the wolf pelt.

Olaf10r1.jpg.e70f7cc15699b6f2ad99646d5e372d31.jpg

Olaf12r1.jpg.9010748cab759dac16e711c94bd98d01.jpg

All that's left now is to finish off his feet and various touch-ups, and then deal with basing.  Part of me wants to wait until I see what May's throw-in mini is before I buy bases though.  (I'm not going to cut him off of this base anyway, just stick him on top of a full-size one so he's more stable.)  Once I get the finishing touches done I'll try to take the best pics I can with the actual camera and two lights so there's less shadow.  The most recent pics have been desk lamp + cell phone.

10 people like this

Great progress!

1 person likes this

Looks good!

As for the base, if you put him on a base like this, take a little putty and build that up around the metal base.

Then flock, maybe add a little rock or a skull or something.

It will enhance the look.

1 person likes this

Yeah, that was my idea was to build up around the metal base and then go from there.  What I'm planning to do is make a snow base using PVA and baking soda so that he's basically tromping through a blizzard.  Going to make a test batch first though, as it apparently can come out a bit yellowish sometimes.

1 person likes this

Sculpting is done!  I'm not going to totally cover it in snow, so the rock needs to be painted to match, then I'll put snow in spots.  I was afraid an all-snow base would be too one-note.

Olaf15r1.jpg.7004af2369b30ce7a839ce03709103e5.jpg

Olaf16r1.jpg.5743a734abf001152243221f171cc3b1.jpg

7 people like this