Sign in to follow this  
Peithetairos

The right tool for the job – Recommended tools for making terrain

Just finished a short article for DaggerAndBrush showing you a selection of tools that will come in very handy for pretty much any terrain project. I keep it simple and recommend a number of tools for cutting and measuring; painting, sculpting and engraving; and tools that are nice to have, but not essential.

So if you just started making terrain or intend to make some this may come in handy.

The right tool for the job

tools-collage-feature.jpg?w=711

• Like 8

Cool!

I just watched a whole bunch of videos about making terrain and bases.

Good stuff.

Ir's always interesting to see how other Folk do their terrain. There is always another way to skin the cat.

• Like 2

I try to learn about all aspects of the hobby.

That is one of the nice things about this Forum, we all share our techniques and ideas.

There is always something useful to be found and new things to try.

*** Looks puzzled at neighbour's cat...***

• Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 6:45 AM, malefactus said:

Ir's always interesting to see how other Folk do their terrain. There is always another way to skin the cat.

On 3/14/2017 at 6:55 AM, Xherman1964 said:

I try to learn about all aspects of the hobby.

That is one of the nice things about this Forum, we all share our techniques and ideas.

There is always something useful to be found and new things to try.

*** Looks puzzled at neighbour's cat...***

There are days, Xherman, where I'm glad I am not drinking my tea when you reply to Malefactus. 

I am a horrible, horrible person.  But I laughed anyways.

I like the list you provided.  It's very handy and it includes almost everything I use for miniatures as well as the small amount of terrain I've built, too.  It even has some things I do not have (all the optional things and a few from the other lists too).

• Like 2

@Darkmeer Thank you, glad the list was of use. I would love to have a 3d-Printer or laser cutter. I am not even sure I would do lots of stuff with it, but the possibilities the two afford are limitless. Hopefully in the future those will be more affordable and better quality. More realistic is the wire cutter. I like the whole homebrew stuff, but with electronics that is a whole new world for me.

@Peithetairos  I do find the list very handy.  It's a great checklist of tools that anyone could use.  I find that the way the list is organized to be a great way for someone looking at the hobby from the outside going and going how to get started, this article is definitely going to be referenced. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lexomatic
      I got some backup cat dishes at IKEA for a couple of bucks. They came with free foam pucks that would normally cost a few dollars on their own at a place like Michael's

• By kristof65
      Mwuahahahaha!!!!!!!!

So one of the central villains in my HS game club game are going to be a band of cultists worshiping an evil snake god.  I've been painting up the various Reaper Bones cultists to represent this group.  This info is unknown to the players yet, so I had a yelp of excitement and joy when I was reading the kid's PC backgrounds last night.  One of the PCs listed her estranged mother's profession as a "cultist".  Perfect tie in to the villain - but then I had a sad face when I realized this PC is a gnome, and thus her mother would be a gnome, too. 

So now I am on a quest to find a decent mini to represent a gnome (or halfling) cultist. 

Any suggestions? 
    • By Inarah
      I haven't completed much since Reapercon, but I have been working on some 3d terrain my husband made for me.  All I know about the well is that it came from Thingverse. 

Doors from a KS I backed: 

Anther Thingaverse thing, and Reaper Gravestone of Protection. 

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      How Did this start?
      So My Son, (7 at the time), enjoyed playing Vault manager, and one holiday he asked me If I could build him a vault to play with. So we sat down and drew up some designs, and then I sat down and did up the files, furiously prototyped, cut and amended the designs. Eventually I ended up with a corridor set that set up on a 4' x 4' board. I put it up on the BPLASER store and people seemed to like it.
      Fast forward 12 months, and I decided to expand the Corridor set with another 15 rooms, furniture and inserts, and put it up on Kickstarter to see if I could expand sales.
      The Corridor Set is a: multi gaming system, fully modular set of laser cut/ etched MDF terrain, for use with 28-32mm table top games. Each unit piece is a multi part kit made from Australian manufactured MDF, with the approx strength of the same thickness of pine board, which should give years of use.
      The modularity of the corridor set allows you to make unique table layouts every time you use it. Every piece will connect to any other piece letting you decide how large, or how small to make your battlefield.
      Vault, Spaceship or Corridor set.
      I have tried, in the design of the set, to make it as functional as possible, so the Corridor Set can be used to represent the interior of a spaceship, a fallout shelter, An evil scientist's lair, a military bunker,.... the list goes on. Using the many add-ons to the base set, you can make almost any scenario that comes to mind.
      I hope you will find it an interesting set, and battleground, and give a multitude of ideas in its set-up.
      INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE. PLEASE READ.
      I am in Brisbane, Australia.
      That's 11500 km from Los Angeles, and 16500 km from London. Shipping via ship from Australia takes 2-3 months and costs about $95 AUD for the base set.
      Airmail takes 5-10 days and costs approx $120 AUD for the base set. I have chosen Airmail as the most efficient and reliable method for you getting your gear. All parcels will be provided with a tracking number.
      ADD ONS. Postage will be calculated at approx $5 per item set, or room set that you add to your main pledge. This will mean that international postage is at a discounted rate.
      Backers from all other countries (Rest of the world) may have to pay additional import duties and other applicable taxes to the concerned authorities, upon receipt of their goods, based on the import policies of their respective countries. The duties and tax rates vary from country to country and we are unable to help you determine that for your shipment. If you wish to learn about the duties and taxes applicable to your shipment, you may want to check with the customs and border protection authority of your country.
      What's in the set:
       The following are some pics of the addons to the set. I will update them with painted versions in the next few days
      DOOR SET WITH BULKHEAD HATCH END CAP WITH BULKHEAD HATCH DOOR SET STANDARD FORCE DOOR SECURITY SHIELD
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      Welcome to Undead Graveyard! 
      These graveyard elements add a thematic scenery to a simple board, with high quality resin pieces. In an easy and fun way you can turn any board into your private graveyard of the Undead Realms with our tombstones.
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models with an older style, half buried in the ground. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      UNDEAD AWAKENS
      Use the powers of your necromancer to give life to the undead who will awaken to destroy the souls of those who stand in your way.
      Available models:
      Fantastic static grass to decorate your scenery and miniatures: "Dead Grass" specially designed by Pablo el Marques and we show it to you in our campaign first.
      Each bag contains 2 grams of static grass.

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)