Jump to content
heruca

MapForge battlemap creation software [Kickstarter]

Recommended Posts

Hi folks. I am creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both print-resolution maps and lower-resolution maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. It's called MapForge, and it will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

 

MapForge Interface Mockup v2 Menu.png

 

MapForge should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions (in any genre), but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

 

I am currently running a Kickstarter campaign to fund the program's development. The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, probably $30 or so, but it's just $27 during the Kickstarter campaign. And to help offset the cost even more, there will be at least 9 free content Add-Ons for it, covering various genres. MapForge will also offer a free level of use, so having a license won't be required to make maps with it.

Version 1.0 of MapForge should be ready to go on sale in July 2017. Shortly after that, MapForge will also have the ability to generate random "dungeon" layouts via Donjon.

 

I hope you will all take a minute to check out the project, play around with the downloadable prototype, and if you like what you see, tell your GM friends about it.

Thanks!

--Hernan (aka Heruca)

 

PS: The campaign funded on day 1, and is now at 475% of the funding goal, with ~1330 backers and 9 days to go. All the Stretch Goals have already been unlocked.

Edited by heruca
Reposition attached image
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its going on IndieGoGo now, doesn't that mean you massively missed your projected date above of "Version 1.0 of MapForge should be ready to go on sale in July 2017"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He used up the money from the initial KS.. he either needs to get cash or take longer to finish it as a side job.. he underestimated the work involved.. not entirely shocking

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

He used up the money from the initial KS.. he either needs to get cash or take longer to finish it as a side job.. he underestimated the work involved.. not entirely shocking

That's kind of what I was saying, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. It's not uncommon but not a good sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 2:24 PM, SamuraiJack said:

He used up the money from the initial KS.. he either needs to get cash or take longer to finish it as a side job.. he underestimated the work involved.. not entirely shocking

 

Allow me to clear that up a bit.

 

Sentence 1 is true. I posted about it in this KS Update.

 

Sentence 2 is mostly false. Allow me to quote from the aforementioned Update.

"I have no doubt that I'll be able to deliver MapForge v1.0 and the 50 Add-Ons promised, so don't worry."

 

What I might not be able to deliver on right away is on two of the Stretch Goals from the KS (Donjon support and the Crucible app that would let you roll-your-own MapForge Add-Ons). That would likely require me to take on a side job and work on those Stretch Goals on the side. So it would still get done, it'll just take longer. 

 

Sentence 3 is true. I hit some unforeseeable technical roadblocks along the way that took a long time to resolve. But please keep in mind that I am delivering something that will be significantly better than was was initially promised. A couple of examples: I promised high-res export times that would be completed in a matter of minutes, and am delivering export times best measured in seconds. I promised a maximum map size of 10000x10000 but the app now supports up to 20% larger maps.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, heruca said:

 

Allow me to clear that up a bit.

 

Sentence 1 is true. I posted about it in this KS Update.

 

Sentence 2 is mostly false. Allow me to quote from the aforementioned Update.

"I have no doubt that I'll be able to deliver MapForge v1.0 and the 50 Add-Ons promised, so don't worry."

 

What I might not be able to deliver on right away is on two of the Stretch Goals from the KS (Donjon support and the Crucible app that would let you roll-your-own MapForge Add-Ons). That would likely require me to take on a side job and work on those Stretch Goals on the side. So it would still get done, it'll just take longer. 

 

Sentence 3 is true. I hit some unforeseeable technical roadblocks along the way that took a long time to resolve. But please keep in mind that I am delivering something that will be significantly better than was was initially promised. A couple of examples: I promised high-res export times that would be completed in a matter of minutes, and am delivering export times best measured in seconds. I promised a maximum map size of 10000x10000 but the app now supports up to 20% larger maps.

 

 

 

 

This is why I no longer support software Kickstarters - feature creep. Software that works as originally promised and delivered on time is better than software with extra features delivered a year later. (I'm also professionally in software development for over a decade.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The general consensus of the KS backers has been very supportive, with comments along the lines of "take the time you need to get it right". It's not like folks are having fits because of the delay.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, heruca said:

The general consensus of the KS backers has been very supportive, with comments along the lines of "take the time you need to get it right". It's not like folks are having fits because of the delay.

Cool :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 7:16 AM, heruca said:

The general consensus of the KS backers has been very supportive, with comments along the lines of "take the time you need to get it right". It's not like folks are having fits because of the delay.

 

I'm a backer on this Kickstarter and for this one, and for most Kickstarters, I'm fine with delays so long as:

 

1. The creator keeps up communication with their backers via Kickstarter updates.

2. The creator is open and honest in their communication, even if what they are telling me is bad news.

3. I get what I pledged for eventually.

 

I think with Crowdfunding you have to go into it expecting that there will be delays. I've backed well over 100 crowd funding campaigns now and I'd say more of them have been late (some a couple of years late) than have been on time. Only a handful have actually been early. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×