SparrowMarie

77290: Mousling Druid - OSL attempt- SparrowMarie

Going to use this guy as my first attempt at OSL. This was inspired by Talespinner's challenge in the getting to know each other thread.

14895328354581814713377.thumb.jpg.8de556933fd67c798e3ad5ec2be8bda1.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, tiniest rhombus said:

Mouslings :wub: Good for you tackling a new technique. 

I love the mouslings. However, this is the first one of the 8(?) that I have to get paint on it, they're just so small! Hoping I can do it justice and some decent OSL.

• Like 1

They really aren't that difficult. They are small in stature but the details aren't. The eyes for example are huge compared to a regular 28mm human. I find them easier to paint than a typical 28mm mini.  

• Like 5

I think I've finished up the orb itself. Now to get to the OSL. Also, I tried a little wet blending on the orb, which I've also never done before, and I think it came out pretty well.

1489613626119777008481.thumb.jpg.3baafc3bbd97fe45b2233a5fc5044082.jpg

• Like 7

So cute. I've never done OSL so I can't help you there. I have painted a ton of fur though. My piece of advice is to choose a lighter brown for some highlights on the fur. I use the side of my brush for this and brush with the direction of the fur. The key is keeping your paint thin and your brush damp. Not wet like you would for a basecoat. Wick most of the paint off.  Happy painting. ::):

• Like 4

He's adorable!

One thing I might do is to take the color you used for the cloak, add some water to really thin it out and just lightly brush over the OSL on the cloak to soften the edges a bit.

Love his little teddy bear face!

• Like 3

Did a really thin layer of the cloak color over the lighter bits to hopefully soften things up. 

1489694018198-502013973.thumb.jpg.27dd1115baf91eea943d002b71294eb3.jpg

I also did a little work on the fur. I think it looks better now.

14896946730452076446500.thumb.jpg.26fe9fe00c92f5217efb1fe9bcc5c7de.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SGHawkins09
      This was my second diorama for ReaperCon 2017 and was the one picked for judging. The idea for it actually began at last year's ReaperCon and was originally going to be the wizard catching the barbarian mousling breaking in. Over the year it evolved into a large scene than originally planned and I swapped out the barbarian for the two thieves/rogues. It ended up getting a gold medal and Mousling Honorable Mention.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here is the WIP thread: Stop Thief!

Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback while creating this diorama.

• By SparrowMarie
      I finished her. It's finished but not perfect. I could have messed around with things even further and cleaned her up a bit more. I really probably could have left her sitting for weeks trying to figure out what else to do which is when I decided it's done.

Pretty happy with the eyes on this one. Also, the chaps were the first time I'd attempted to do distressed leather which I think look pretty good for a first attempt. Probably could have gotten clearer pictures but didn't want to fight with the phone any longer.

ETA: C&C welcome.

• By Pingo
      This is another of the PCs for the "Exalted" campaign set in White Wolf's World of Darkness which I'm currently involved in.

This character was a medieval Persian vampire who reverted to human when she Exalted as a Zenith caste Solar.  Among other things, she has a sword which shines with the light of the Sun.

The figure is from Hasslefree, HFA004 "Kat", sculpted by Kev White.  There's a WIP thread here.

The lighting effect changes a lot at different angles so I included lots of pictures.

• By SirLarpsAlot
      WIP Thread here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77998-3-color-challenge-on-lendil-blackroot/
      Challenge Thread here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77990-cmpa-three-color-challenge/

I finished the painting on Lendil by adding some OSL. I found the purple hard to work with in terms of the effect. I wanted a brighter purple but the Royal Purple + Linen White didn't get nearly as vivid as I wanted. Instead, poor Lendil's staff is giving off a soft purple glow. It's fine, just not the final effect I was looking for. :)

I gave him a bit of a base. Just a couple of tufts and some mud. I need to start working on getting better at basing. I think that might be a thing for 2018.

• By Cyradis
      My D&D group's cleric picked the torch and scythe wielding townsfolk from this pack: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/townsfolk/latest/03123

My D&D group's cleric is an herbalist cleric. He provides the.... healing... herbs. Medicinal use herbs. He's an exceedingly chipper and happy character, much to the annoyance of the emo necrobard. 

But he uses a scythe, and decided to go with this figure. I don't like this figure. It has an ANGRY face. Super grumpy. All of the grump. Terrible choice for that character. 

Player told me that I didn't have to go high on the detail with it, so I didn't do as much as my usual. I still practiced OSL and I tried to turn the frown upside-down. I think the result is that he now looks like a very happy mass murderer, instead of just generically pissed. 

Anyway, rip it to shreds, lemme know what I can do better in the future. I didn't do the most exciting blending or layering or glazing by any stretch deliberately, though. 

I also was using a different location for my camera and I didn't feel like getting a perfect setup, so stuff is crooked and I'm not going to go back and take more photos. *HARUMPH*. 

• Who's Online   8 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)