SparrowMarie

77290: Mousling Druid - OSL attempt- SparrowMarie

Going to use this guy as my first attempt at OSL. This was inspired by Talespinner's challenge in the getting to know each other thread.

14895328354581814713377.thumb.jpg.8de556933fd67c798e3ad5ec2be8bda1.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, tiniest rhombus said:

Mouslings :wub: Good for you tackling a new technique. 

I love the mouslings. However, this is the first one of the 8(?) that I have to get paint on it, they're just so small! Hoping I can do it justice and some decent OSL.

• Like 1

They really aren't that difficult. They are small in stature but the details aren't. The eyes for example are huge compared to a regular 28mm human. I find them easier to paint than a typical 28mm mini.  

• Like 5

I think I've finished up the orb itself. Now to get to the OSL. Also, I tried a little wet blending on the orb, which I've also never done before, and I think it came out pretty well.

1489613626119777008481.thumb.jpg.3baafc3bbd97fe45b2233a5fc5044082.jpg

• Like 7

So cute. I've never done OSL so I can't help you there. I have painted a ton of fur though. My piece of advice is to choose a lighter brown for some highlights on the fur. I use the side of my brush for this and brush with the direction of the fur. The key is keeping your paint thin and your brush damp. Not wet like you would for a basecoat. Wick most of the paint off.  Happy painting. ::):

• Like 4

He's adorable!

One thing I might do is to take the color you used for the cloak, add some water to really thin it out and just lightly brush over the OSL on the cloak to soften the edges a bit.

Love his little teddy bear face!

• Like 3

Did a really thin layer of the cloak color over the lighter bits to hopefully soften things up. 

1489694018198-502013973.thumb.jpg.27dd1115baf91eea943d002b71294eb3.jpg

I also did a little work on the fur. I think it looks better now.

14896946730452076446500.thumb.jpg.26fe9fe00c92f5217efb1fe9bcc5c7de.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      So, for October this year I'm going to attempt to paint a mini a day. This will take the place of Minivember probably from now on. November's have just become too busy for me to feasibly paint everyday. This will be called All Minis Eve! I am currently in the process of making an advent calendar for October. I'll post how I'm doing it and progress, I hope to have it done before October so I can kick things off this year. 

How it works: I have tons of minis laying around so unless you want to or don't have enough (is that a problem around here?) minis you won't need to buy any (unless you want to). You will need 31. Once the calendar is assembled 1 mini will go in each felt pouch and you pull one out each day then plan, prep, and paint it. You have that one day to do it. Midnight to midnight. I will not get to pick out my own minis as I will have my Husband do it so it'll be a surprise each day. 

To start I bought: 
      Spooky spider web fabric Adorable ghost ribbon (1.5") Tan felt (three 9"x12" sheets) Black felt (three 9"x12" sheets) Fabric glue  
      I also have handy:
      Sewing needles Orange thread Fabric tape measure Ruler Scissors Fabric pencil Pen/Sharpie  
      I don't yet have a dowel and ends for it or photo transfer paper. I will edit the above later if I've forgotten anything.

Some pictures of materials:

Plans:

Above is a rough sketch of what the layout will be like. I have cut the tan felt into 33- 3"x3" squares and a 3"x9" rectangle. I will take 1 yard of fabric and affix the squares with fabric glue and sew them on as well for extra hold. I will leave several inches free at the top to put the title which I will cut out of the black felt. I will use a piece of ribbon to underline it and then put the squares below. 
    • By Geoff Davis
      03428: Barrow Warden Mystic sculpted by Bob Ridolfi

• By dks
      Here is the latest of my Pathfinder figures that I painted: Barzillai Thrune (#60205). 
      I sculpted this figure last year and he was newly available at ReaperCon 2017.  If you go to ReaperCon this year, you can see this figure in person.
      As with Octavio Sabinus (link to my Show-Off thread), Barzillai also appears in the Pathfinder Adventure Path "Hell's Rebels" as a major NPC: link to cover image of #97. (Wayne Reynolds painted the cover art.  The armor makes me think of a shark.)
      Barzillai is the new lord-mayor in Kintargo, and his notions of law and order are going to provoke a lot of resentment, especially from the PCs!
      I wanted the base to evoke a city under siege, so I sculpted the stone rubble out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt, and stuck some toothpicks in as stakes.

Enjoy!

Derek
    • By Geoff Davis
      77140: Townsfolk: Village Rioter sculpted by Bobby Jackson

I've been working on a big army project, so I painted this to take a break and refresh my brain.  I've been working on an OSL speed painting technique to use in my painting classes, and I think it's working pretty well.  This is roughly 4-5  hours work, so a ways to go yet before its really 'speed painting'. 

• By dks
      I speed-painted this figure when I was at Reaper HQ two months ago.  You can see a 12-minute video of that (at roughly 8x speed) on Reaper's YouTube channel (link to video).
      Back at my home studio, I spent several hours improving the 2-hour paint job.  I made a thread about it in the Works in Progress subforum: link to thread.
      And here is the result.

Enjoy!
      Derek

• Who's Online   29 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)