SparrowMarie

77290: Mousling Druid - OSL attempt- SparrowMarie

Going to use this guy as my first attempt at OSL. This was inspired by Talespinner's challenge in the getting to know each other thread.

14895328354581814713377.thumb.jpg.8de556933fd67c798e3ad5ec2be8bda1.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, tiniest rhombus said:

Mouslings :wub: Good for you tackling a new technique. 

I love the mouslings. However, this is the first one of the 8(?) that I have to get paint on it, they're just so small! Hoping I can do it justice and some decent OSL.

• Like 1

They really aren't that difficult. They are small in stature but the details aren't. The eyes for example are huge compared to a regular 28mm human. I find them easier to paint than a typical 28mm mini.  

• Like 5

I think I've finished up the orb itself. Now to get to the OSL. Also, I tried a little wet blending on the orb, which I've also never done before, and I think it came out pretty well.

1489613626119777008481.thumb.jpg.3baafc3bbd97fe45b2233a5fc5044082.jpg

• Like 7

So cute. I've never done OSL so I can't help you there. I have painted a ton of fur though. My piece of advice is to choose a lighter brown for some highlights on the fur. I use the side of my brush for this and brush with the direction of the fur. The key is keeping your paint thin and your brush damp. Not wet like you would for a basecoat. Wick most of the paint off.  Happy painting. ::):

• Like 4

He's adorable!

One thing I might do is to take the color you used for the cloak, add some water to really thin it out and just lightly brush over the OSL on the cloak to soften the edges a bit.

Love his little teddy bear face!

• Like 3

Did a really thin layer of the cloak color over the lighter bits to hopefully soften things up. 

1489694018198-502013973.thumb.jpg.27dd1115baf91eea943d002b71294eb3.jpg

I also did a little work on the fur. I think it looks better now.

14896946730452076446500.thumb.jpg.26fe9fe00c92f5217efb1fe9bcc5c7de.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      So in the last...year? We have received the second wave of our Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter pledge. We went all in and opted to get everything. I haven't started painting anything from it. I've primed most of it but just haven't had the drive to do it until now. This is the pile of sprues fresh out of the box.

Then the cleaning process.

I'm not even sure all of them fit into those pictures, I know the second picture is definitely not all of them, that was just the first wave that got cleaned. There's something like...137? minis there if I counted right. This is in no way everything we have but just what we got in the final wave. Well now the company ran a second Kickstarter to expand the game even more (I already don't know where to put all this so let's buy more!). Which should be shipping sometime this year. That one also, again if I counted correctly, has about 181 total minis. So I'm swimming in minis that need painting so I thought I'd start a WIP to motivate me.

I've already got most of it written out and color schemed. The nice thing is a lot of the minis that are groups of 6+ or larger came with painting guides that are optional. I'm opting to use the ones that are available to me. I plan on using mostly the paints that came in the Shadows of Brimstone paint sets by Army Painter with a smattering of Reaper here and there. I'm going to try to get this all done before shipping of the second Kickstarter. Then it'll be time to build and paint those! 

• By Cyradis
      I gave Mom the Mousling King for a first figure. Mom has good painting posture and steady hands right off the bat! She also was swiftly good at gauging paint consistency and quantity on the brush. Yay for a first figure!

• By SparrowMarie
      Husband has asked me to paint up Isabeau Laroche as Captain Marvel. He saw some pictures of it done on Tumblr a while ago and thought it was the neatest thing. So I am going to attempt to recreate it. When I was initially asked I didn't think I was nearly good enough to pull it off but I think where I am now I can do it. I'll be using this photo as reference:

The emblem on her chest will go onto Isabeau's shield as seen in original mini photos. 
    • By SparrowMarie
      This idea is stolen (with permission) from @OneBoot. Last year she took a Bones Hydra and put wings on it to paint as a mock up for her own Ma'al Drakkar. It was most fun to watch. Husband loved the idea so much that he had to have one with traditional Tiamat colors to match our Ma'al when I get to painting him. Here is her original WIP:

This is my first conversion and will be my first dip into the world of sculpting green stuff. Which I'll need to do to make it look like there are scales around the wings instead of just, well, blobs of green stuff. Okay, that's enough of an intro post so let's get too it.

ETA: Sorry in advance in the pictures are big.
    • By Pochi
      This is Istariel from Judgement. I am pretty happy with how she turned out.

I used the Olive Skin triad on her. I just bought them at Cancon and wanted to test them out. Really like them so will be ordering some of the other skin triads soon. I used several other Reaper paints including Nightshade Purple (my favorite!), and the clears = red, yellow, and purple.

She is the first 54 mm that I have painted. I figured with her being larger, her eyes would be bigger. Nope!

With so much fire and the way that it wraps around her, it was hard to do realistic highlights and shadows. I instead decided to highlight and shade her "normally" with some respect to the fire as a light source but not a set in stone guideline. I then did OSL on her using the colors of which part of the flame I thought would be hitting particular areas. My favorite parts are her right side, her underlit underboobs, and the back of her hair.

She has a lean. I have reglued her twice and she still leans. I am sure it is user error but damned if I can get her to stand straight!

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

• Who's Online   38 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)