TheOldGuard

TheOldGuard paints some very old Citadel dragons - WIP

Recently, I've been looking through my collection for something old to get painted up, I came across some very old Citadel dragons (which, in my younger days, I'd either painted or half painted badly) & settled on them. They are:

DRG1 - Red Dragon

DRG2 - Green Dragon

DRG3 - Ice Dragon

DRG4 - Gold Dragon

FF61 - Black Dragon

The plan is to paint them sympathetically in respect of their vintage & base them up nicely but with not too elaborately. So far, I have stripped off as much of the previous paint as possible, some of it still remains & will need some extra effort to remove but I'm not going to worry too much if I cant get it all off - I'll just prime over it. Here's how they look currently.....

58cea1508fe9e_OldCitadelDragons1.thumb.JPG.340925b4b5d288554aa6fd50d5efaefa.JPG 

It's gonna be a long one, I think...............::):

• Like 17

Did the pinning and gluing on the Red & Green Dragons today. Will hopefully get some gap filling done tomorrow:

58d41b8521ba2_OldCitadelDragons2.thumb.JPG.6ccdebfd074e8da63b6073ffed83f8e8.JPG

Each Dragon had a choice of 3 head variants, I've tried to pick the best looking match for each one.

• Like 14

Wow.  I haven't seen any of those Citadel dragons "in the flesh" for a verrry long time.  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

The Egg

• Like 1

Been a bit busy with mundane tasks & tiredness lately but I've managed to do a little more to this project over the last few days. All the dragons have now been pinned, glued & "green stuffed". I've also worked on the foundations for a couple of the bases.

Red dragon - I'm going for a rocky mountainside base for this one. I glued some cat litter in place then sculpted green stuff into the gaps to create some basic rocky mound outcrops.

58dff4a6214d0_OldCitadelDragons3.thumb.JPG.1f687f60dab86229f2c8b204c9ea1589.JPG

Green & gold dragons - I'm sticking with the integral bases for these two.

58dff4aa235db_OldCitadelDragons4.thumb.JPG.7192a255a454144321157cb25d036707.JPG58dff4b5340f0_OldCitadelDragons6.thumb.JPG.07477d2fb493a28fafc1d6758906063f.JPG

Ice dragon - I haven't decided on whether to do a base for him yet, I'll think more about that when I start to paint him.........

58dff4ae4b24a_OldCitadelDragons5.thumb.JPG.b6e8b180966af71616e25794ab052ff0.JPG

Black dragon - This base will a marshy one so I've made some small mounds from green stuff & left an area open for adding some still water, I will add some grass tufts etc later.

58dff4bbf17b8_OldCitadelDragons7.thumb.JPG.062f3e7fe29a4308460a72b5507cc42b.JPG

Actual painting is next on the agenda, I'm going to concentrate on one dragon at a time starting with the red dragon.

Thanks for looking! ::):

• Like 10

You had me at dragon!  Looking forward to watching these progress.

• Like 2

I laid down most of the base colours this afternoon. Red scales & wings (obviously! :poke:), flesh colour for the underbelly, dark pink in the mouth & yellow eyes.

58e147784e802_OldCitadelDragons10.thumb.JPG.758a5b894d8b93beab5bfdcf872f2f6b.JPG

58e147806f50c_OldCitadelDragons11.thumb.JPG.b09d3df42748559d228c0a070058a1c0.JPG

It was a bit tricky getting paint into some of the limb crevices (especially with the base in place) but otherwise it's quite an easy job so far. I guess this is one of the joys of painting old school minis as they're a lot simpler than modern ones. 

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

Nice!

I like the oldschool feel of the colours too.

Thanks!

That's what I'm going for. I've craftily choose these colours so that I can use a classic all over brown wash for the shading.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning,
      here's my next figure, a Shadowrun gnome shaman, that came out of a set of MetaHuman figures, two gnomes (the female gnome already painted) a hobgoblin and a cyclops.  A feisty little gnome shaman or druid, kind of scrawny with a nice long braided head of hair in the back.  Fun figure to paint, a small part of the Gnomevember painting extravaganza (my extravaganza of two figures that is).

No idea in the world that that thing he is holding, some kind of totem, so I pretty randomly painted it.  Kind of a lot of detail for such a small little figure.  Not one hundred percent sure who sculpted, but I'm guessing maybe Jim Johnson? Maybe somebody else will know a bit better.

Anyhoos, hope you all enjoy!

• By Metalchaos
      Here is an old classic Goblin model from Ral Partha. It was part of TSR D&D 10-512 Monsters Boxed Set produced in 1992.
      It's a 25mm tall metal "lead" model that was sculpted by Bob Olley and was painted with acrylics.

• By Crowley
      In the Storm King's Thunder campaign I'm playing in we've had 2 encounters with an ancient blue dragon named Iymrith. I don't have a painted blue dragon... And my very pregnant DM isn't going to get one bought and painted before we need her, so...

Digging through my minis, I figured Narthrax was as close as I've got. It was going to be blue anyway (or dessert sands brown) so that was my top choice. I also thought about the wizkids dragons, but the FLGS only had the green, and I wasn't all that impressed with the sculpt. I'd rather drop $30 on another Narthrax if I'm gonna paint a brown one in the future.

Tonight I pulled her out, scrubbed her down, and started working on her base.
      She could probably for on a smaller base, but with her wingspan, and the fact that she's an ancient dragon, I figure she deserves it.

and the cork will give her some extra height. 

It helps her look even bigger as compared to Blightfang!

More to come!
    • By Cygnwulf
      Everyone, meet Viridius.  

He's a hefty boi.  No Ma'al or Kalladrax, but still pretty big. He doesn't even fit in my light box, as you can see.   
      I've thought a long time about how I was going to paint him up, I don't think I'm going to go with the standard green dragon look.  Instead I'm going to take my inspiration from the time of year, and make him an autumn forest dragon, whose coloration changes with the forest around him.   So I'll be doing him in mostly golden yellows to oranges and reds, but keeping some greenish tones as the base of scales and other places, to kind of give a reminder of the verdent glory he was before.

One thing I'm choosing to see as an opportunity is that the tops of his wings are very smooth, ideal for some freehand work.  The question is, what to do?  Some kind of leaf like pattern, or perhaps a butterfly like eye pattern (in the leaf colors, of course)

Out of the box bag he was in pretty good shape.  The usual mold line cleanup, though he has some gaps that will need to be filled.  I followed up with reshaping the wings a little with some boiling water.  I forgot to get a complete before picture, but below you can see the before and after for the right wing

I've had to fully assemble him, I don't like the way the wing joins look without greenstuff, so that's going to be the first order of business.  So painting around the wings might be a chore, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before (Although, not in recent history)

I begain the gapfill on the right side, but after sticking a finger in greenstuff twice and having to flip him back to touch up the texture, I decided to call it a night and do the left side gaps later.

• By Morihalda
      Alternative Title:
      How Morihalda Achieved Maximum Distraction from 14 Other WIP Threads: A Story.

Chapter One
      6 November. My husband and I went on a date to the museum. We always have so much fun there and learn so many new things! I saw an absolutely gorgeous snake and thought, "Wow, that would be an excellent dragon pattern. OH WOW Ma'al could be five different reptile patterns!!" I'd been wanting to do a skeletal or blacklight theme for him for forever, but I decided those would be better suited on a smaller dragon.

I spent some time that night researching snakes, lizards (and the occasional amphibian), and habitats before settling on some patterns. I spent a few more hours cleaning up mold lines and convincing myself that I don't need to resculpt these perfect heads!

Red - Fire Skink
      Black - Lace Monitor
      Green - Green Iguana
      Blue - Blue Tree Monitor
      White - Blue tongue Skink
      Body - Fire Skink

This Boelen's Python didn't make the cut since I settled on lizards, but look at that good son! He's going to be my black dragon one day. 

The red fire skink will be inspiration for both the red head and body. It has so many amazing colors that will help bring all the faces together. I'm thinking the wings will be muted on the underside to match the black and white heads and more fire skink on the top. This means the black and white heads need to be the middle level heads - there's a beautiful curve from them leading to each wing.

My tentative color blocking. Good enough for an art gallery, yeah? ;)

Chapter Two
      7 November. I spent over three hours this afternoon pinning, gluing, and green stuffing specific sections. The wing gaps and one of the legs are pretty rough, but the head scales perfectly cover the neck scales! Almost like it was planned.  

Chapter Three
      8 November. I am still prepping. There is still barely enough done to warrant a forum post. All I have to show you are stabby holes in my hands (yes I will be using a holder/lazy Susan when painting, but I need all the angles while sculpting). Either I got one that was a little uneven or I'm just way more picky than some folks, but I have had a ton of gap filling to do for the legs.

How did some of you do this in 7 days?! Someone send me rations and supplies to survive!  

• Who's Online   21 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)