TheOldGuard

TheOldGuard paints some very old Citadel dragons - WIP

Recently, I've been looking through my collection for something old to get painted up, I came across some very old Citadel dragons (which, in my younger days, I'd either painted or half painted badly) & settled on them. They are:

DRG1 - Red Dragon

DRG2 - Green Dragon

DRG3 - Ice Dragon

DRG4 - Gold Dragon

FF61 - Black Dragon

The plan is to paint them sympathetically in respect of their vintage & base them up nicely but with not too elaborately. So far, I have stripped off as much of the previous paint as possible, some of it still remains & will need some extra effort to remove but I'm not going to worry too much if I cant get it all off - I'll just prime over it. Here's how they look currently.....

58cea1508fe9e_OldCitadelDragons1.thumb.JPG.340925b4b5d288554aa6fd50d5efaefa.JPG 

It's gonna be a long one, I think...............::):

• Like 17

Did the pinning and gluing on the Red & Green Dragons today. Will hopefully get some gap filling done tomorrow:

58d41b8521ba2_OldCitadelDragons2.thumb.JPG.6ccdebfd074e8da63b6073ffed83f8e8.JPG

Each Dragon had a choice of 3 head variants, I've tried to pick the best looking match for each one.

• Like 14

Wow.  I haven't seen any of those Citadel dragons "in the flesh" for a verrry long time.  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

The Egg

• Like 1

Been a bit busy with mundane tasks & tiredness lately but I've managed to do a little more to this project over the last few days. All the dragons have now been pinned, glued & "green stuffed". I've also worked on the foundations for a couple of the bases.

Red dragon - I'm going for a rocky mountainside base for this one. I glued some cat litter in place then sculpted green stuff into the gaps to create some basic rocky mound outcrops.

58dff4a6214d0_OldCitadelDragons3.thumb.JPG.1f687f60dab86229f2c8b204c9ea1589.JPG

Green & gold dragons - I'm sticking with the integral bases for these two.

58dff4aa235db_OldCitadelDragons4.thumb.JPG.7192a255a454144321157cb25d036707.JPG58dff4b5340f0_OldCitadelDragons6.thumb.JPG.07477d2fb493a28fafc1d6758906063f.JPG

Ice dragon - I haven't decided on whether to do a base for him yet, I'll think more about that when I start to paint him.........

58dff4ae4b24a_OldCitadelDragons5.thumb.JPG.b6e8b180966af71616e25794ab052ff0.JPG

Black dragon - This base will a marshy one so I've made some small mounds from green stuff & left an area open for adding some still water, I will add some grass tufts etc later.

58dff4bbf17b8_OldCitadelDragons7.thumb.JPG.062f3e7fe29a4308460a72b5507cc42b.JPG

Actual painting is next on the agenda, I'm going to concentrate on one dragon at a time starting with the red dragon.

Thanks for looking! ::):

• Like 10

You had me at dragon!  Looking forward to watching these progress.

• Like 2

I laid down most of the base colours this afternoon. Red scales & wings (obviously! :poke:), flesh colour for the underbelly, dark pink in the mouth & yellow eyes.

58e147784e802_OldCitadelDragons10.thumb.JPG.758a5b894d8b93beab5bfdcf872f2f6b.JPG

58e147806f50c_OldCitadelDragons11.thumb.JPG.b09d3df42748559d228c0a070058a1c0.JPG

It was a bit tricky getting paint into some of the limb crevices (especially with the base in place) but otherwise it's quite an easy job so far. I guess this is one of the joys of painting old school minis as they're a lot simpler than modern ones. 

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

Nice!

I like the oldschool feel of the colours too.

Thanks!

That's what I'm going for. I've craftily choose these colours so that I can use a classic all over brown wash for the shading.

• Like 2