Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sanwah

Reaper and the Starfinder RPG??

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So... now Paizo has three different companies making minis for Pathfinder and Starfinder.

Why so spread out, I wonder? Or was it a matter of bids, or something?

Edited by Dr.Bedlam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 11:56 AM, Gargs said:

Yeah Infinity is definitely a possibility.  One of my friends is pretty fond of it, but I've been holding off mainly because I'm still building up my Warmahordes collection and really didn't want to start another, lol.  That said, it may be worth it to look for individual minis here and there.  I also play a lot of Shadowrun and finding minis for that game can be really difficult.  Even the mages are hard to find decent minis for since most wizard minis are definitely decked out in fantasy inspired attire.  

 

Had not heard about the Infinity RPG yet though, so that should definitely be worth looking into.

 

For Shadowrun I've been using classic old Ral Parthas (and some Grenadiers) originally made for the game.  

 

I like them well enough, but they have a couple of drawbacks:  They are tiny, closer to 25mm than 28mm scale.  And they are Old School with a seriously 1980s vibe.

 

I would love to see some Shadowrun type minis with a more modern, video game art influenced look and more dynamism.

 

I would swoon over Starfinder-Spelljammer-Fantasy-in-Space-type minis.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sanwah said:

And what the paint jobs are going to be like as they are all pre paints

I'm not as concerned about this, as if I don't like the paint I can always paint over it...when i have time that is.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm not too keen on them being prepaints.  I understand why they're doing it.  I just hope there will be an option for unpainted minis.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isnt there a more obvious choice for science fiction themed elves, dwarves, orcs and of course humans? I seem to remember a company in England that made some of these. As I recall the figures were a bit chunky and sort of cartoony. That was a long time ago though, and I am not sure if they are still in business.

 

   buckyball

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often thought Reaper could do pretty well just making HEADS of various races and aliens... for conversions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, buckyball said:

Isnt there a more obvious choice for science fiction themed elves, dwarves, orcs and of course humans? I seem to remember a company in England that made some of these. As I recall the figures were a bit chunky and sort of cartoony. That was a long time ago though, and I am not sure if they are still in business.

 

   buckyball

 

34 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I've often thought Reaper could do pretty well just making HEADS of various races and aliens... for conversions...

 

I've got a thought or three for this.  I'm not going to play Starfinder, although I enjoy the concept (I played Dragonstar and had a plast playing an Eleti back in the 3.0 days, tryi finding sci-fi undead that doesn't come from said british company... and doesn't look overtly evil, but I digress). 

 

There are a myriad of small companies making sci-fi robots, orcs, elves, even some dwarves here and there.  What is needed are sci fi halflings and gnomes, which almost do not exist (outside of "ratlings").  There's lots of Resin out there (and not the chippy, crappy kind).  There are many things if you're willing to look for it that will fit your needs.

 

Several companies do make conversion heads, too.  I also think that Reaper could benefit from making conversion heads, but this could be very similar to the Asian experiment that Pathfinder did, that kept them from expanding the line (Green Regent or something) that direction, as it did not go well enough for a full sized supplement (which I really wanted to see).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buckyball said:

Isnt there a more obvious choice for science fiction themed elves, dwarves, orcs and of course humans? I seem to remember a company in England that made some of these. As I recall the figures were a bit chunky and sort of cartoony. That was a long time ago though, and I am not sure if they are still in business.

 

   buckyball

 

My deep apologies, but I cannot tell if this is humor or not.  Are you referring to Citadel, now Games Workshop, and its Warhammer 40K figures?

 

At any rate, Hasslefree in the UK has a line of sci-fi dwarves (the Grymn, unusual for having a significant number of females and not just as snipers) and some First World War halflings, which I realize is not quite the sci fi people hope for.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are also the colony 87 miniatures, which may fit the bill for space civilians, which will only be available via Kickstarter (and then be completely retired from production).  I plan on being part of the third and final kickstarter to get the entire range at that point.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

Several companies do make conversion heads, too.  I also think that Reaper could benefit from making conversion heads, but this could be very similar to the Asian experiment that Pathfinder did, that kept them from expanding the line (Green Regent or something) that direction, as it did not go well enough for a full sized supplement (which I really wanted to see).

Jade Regent adventure path. PCs discover local barmaid is last living member of imperial family of usurped eastern empire in decline Bring her back; fight evil opposition along the way; save empire.

 

I GMed it, I liked it, my players liked it. Other people who played it liked it and it had good reviews. But from a commercial point of view, it was never popular. There are only a handful of Asian themed supplements for Pathfinder (Dragon Empires primer/gazetteer, Ruby Phoenix Tournament module) which I also own and played. All got positive reviews. Yet the demand is insufficient for more. Sure there are plenty of hard core fans of Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc. inspired material, but compared to the general demand for European inspired material which most english speaking players are familiar with, there is no comparison. Even ReaperRon told some of us during ReaperCon that despite people asking for asian style dragons (for Bones IV), market numbers do not support the idea.

 

This isn't unlike 90s TSR's Forgotten Realms' settings of Maztica or the Tuigan Horde which were the Aztec-Inca-Maya and Mongolian analogs. They may have made sense in the setting, but the market wants dungeon crawls, monster slaying and loot that gives a bigger bonus.

 

Back to the scifi element. Yeah, in RPGs, fantasy adventuring beats everything else. And the only scifi settings that do regularly use minis are military style mecha or fleet battles.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our current license does not permit us to make licensed models based on Starfinder Intellectual Property. If this ever changes, I am certain we will make an announcement.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Jade Regent adventure path. PCs discover local barmaid is last living member of imperial family of usurped eastern empire in decline Bring her back; fight evil opposition along the way; save empire.

 

I GMed it, I liked it, my players liked it. Other people who played it liked it and it had good reviews. But from a commercial point of view, it was never popular. There are only a handful of Asian themed supplements for Pathfinder (Dragon Empires primer/gazetteer, Ruby Phoenix Tournament module) which I also own and played. All got positive reviews. Yet the demand is insufficient for more. Sure there are plenty of hard core fans of Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc. inspired material, but compared to the general demand for European inspired material which most english speaking players are familiar with, there is no comparison. Even ReaperRon told some of us during ReaperCon that despite people asking for asian style dragons (for Bones IV), market numbers do not support the idea.

 

This isn't unlike 90s TSR's Forgotten Realms' settings of Maztica or the Tuigan Horde which were the Aztec-Inca-Maya and Mongolian analogs. They may have made sense in the setting, but the market wants dungeon crawls, monster slaying and loot that gives a bigger bonus.

 

Back to the scifi element. Yeah, in RPGs, fantasy adventuring beats everything else. And the only scifi settings that do regularly use minis are military style mecha or fleet battles.

 

I agree with you (I also own the Dragon Empires Primer, but could never convince my players even a passing interest in the AP...  thus not recalling the name and general laziness...  That and Green Regent was a Forgotten Realms thing, which I am recalling now that you brought that up.). 

 

Also back to sci fi:

I think that you are right about the sci-fi thing.  Military and mecha are pretty much it. I think that star wars minis did it for skirmishes and RPG, and Rogue Trader back in the day.  There are *SOME* out there (Chronoscape among others), but they are few and far between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2017 at 2:10 PM, Darkmeer said:

There are also the colony 87 miniatures, which may fit the bill for space civilians, which will only be available via Kickstarter (and then be completely retired from production).  I plan on being part of the third and final kickstarter to get the entire range at that point.

 

Really? I missed this one... I really don't want to miss the next one. Any idea of the time frame of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Arc 724 I haven't seen the time frame yet.  I have heard fall.  So I'm guessing August-October. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

@Arc 724 I haven't seen the time frame yet.  I have heard fall.  So I'm guessing August-October. 

I took a look at there miniature line. I really like the feel of it. The porter made me think of blade runner for some reason. Thanks for the mention of it. I'm going to be looking out for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0