Sign in to follow this  
Dai-Mongar

Classic WFB Chaos Sorcerer

I've started working on a classic Chaos sorcerer (variously known as Hutk'Nile, Hutk'Nke or Huth'Nke the plague priest) for a painting challenge at the local Warhammer shop. Basic challenge, paint a single GW character or infantry mini by April 1st and customers will vote for the best in store. I don't think there's even any kind of prize involved, but it's a good excuse to get something done and flex my painting muscles a bit.

So, I started with some zenithal priming using spray cans:

17349613_1502315239780229_35280464166475

Then started on the robes:

17426409_1503774672967619_37363563564769

The base colour is Tausept Ochre, an old Citadel foundation colour, shaded with some RMS Russet Brown and highlighted with RMS Amber Gold and Ghost White (linen white probably would have suited better, but oh well) using wet blending. I've also added a bit of Clear Purple to the Russet Brown for the deepest shadows to try and get some more interesting colour contrast going on.

I need to do a bit of tidying up of the highlights, but I'm pretty happy with the robes now and I'll move on to the flesh next I think. I'm considering a pallid flesh colour with some bluish tones, or maybe green.

• Like 16

He looks excellente already! The robes look appalling already - which is to say they look great! Some of the old WFB models still look amazing today and others didn't age so well. This is one that has really kept its appeal.

As for the skin, pallid is the way to go. We're talking Nurgle here so green tones would make sense although I'd like to see the skin with some bluish tones to show the death side of the dark god of life and death in all its glory. I'm sure whatever you pick will look good so I'm not worried.

• Like 2

17492410_1509743199037433_81210045654864

A bit more work done; tidied up some of the colour on the robes, got some work done on the skin, started on the staff and did most of the fur lining (hard to see much of that in this photo). The skin doesn't really show up that well in this photo (damn phone camera) but it's a grey-green colour with some dark blue shading. Looks suitably deceased I think, but I wonder if I should glaze in some more colour.

• Like 8

Being Nurgle...it would look good to include some stains on the robe, a bit of dried blood, or some greens.

Keep it faded, so maybe glaze over those with the colours of the robe. as if those are old stains.

Love it so far!

• Like 2

EkLHnYH.jpg

It's a bit hard to show anything with a photo because my LED lamp died, but I thought I'd throw a pic up anyway. Just got to do the metallics and the base on the morning and then he'll be off to the Warhammer shop for the judging.

I probably rushed a few bits here and there, but I'm generally happy with it. Particularly with the gems in the staff, they're probably the best I've done so far.

Thanks for your encouragement folks, I've really enjoyed painting this but of Warhammer history so far. Just wish I could get more of the classic Chaos sorcerers and champions without trawling through the evil bay.

• Like 7

Some time ago you could still get a pack of classic Chaos Warriors from GW directly.

I don't know if that is still possible.

The older metal sculpts had so much more character.

I still keep my eyes open for any of those, especially the Nurgle ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xherman1964 said:

Some time ago you could still get a pack of classic Chaos Warriors from GW directly.

I don't know if that is still possible.

The older metal sculpts had so much more character.

I still keep my eyes open for any of those, especially the Nurgle ones.

Don't think you can get that one anymore. This guy was from the similar pack of sorcerers that they did.

I'll keep an eye on local online auctions, but it's slim pickings. I grabbed a couple of classic Chaos warriors at the RCon melt table when I went which is nice, but not exactly a reliable source.

• Like 1

rOFYDyh.jpg

All done! Dropped him off at the Warhammer shop and the store manager thought I should consider doing commissions, which was nice of him.

The visit ended up with me getting involved in a paint-off with one of the other customers, so now to figure out what five-man unit I'm going to do for that...

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By WhiteWulfe
      They say every army needs it's centerpiece, it's keystone...  It's.... Leader.  Many have glorious names, that warriors will flock to battle under, to defend some sort of principle, moral code, or... Other stuff.

Not this one.  Nope, not him, a warlord who doesn't even bother with a name.  Some say his name was lost to the ages, others say that anyone who dares utter his name winds up meeting an untimely fate.  All that is known, is that the murderous mutant rats under his command are some of the most bloodthirsty out there, and they all speak with a hushed reverence for some critter that's simply known as "Steve", most without realizing Steve is the impaled skull on the warlord's shoulder...

Two things are well known though...  He, and his forces are typically only known by their actions, namely that any town or outpost that they attack, there are no survivors left behind, and an absolutely bloody amount of carnage is left in his wake..

^Originally tried to just use the box art behind him, and keep things relatively tidy, but I was having trouble with my mobile phone's camera hunting for focus, and so after a few attempts I wound up switching to a plain white sheet of paper.  Putting these two up though because a)I like them, and b)the colours turned out fairly close to how the mini is in the real world, at least to my eyes.

This is the first character mini for my "Unrelenting Tide" Skaven army...  Comprised of a combination of the 25th Anniversary Warhammer Fantasy Battles Skaven boxed army set and the Island of Blood miniatures, this is the first miniature I've tried to go further than just tabletop with, and saw what I'll describe as mixed results.  While I did want to try certain techniques such as OSL, I decided as I was going on to simply work on basics such as lining.  Now yes, I could have gone a few more layers on the flames, and especially his lower half, I wound up calling him "done" due to a few things, but mostly because I'd repainted certain parts three or four times and it was getting to the point where I just wanted him finished.  Oddly enough, thanks to some things on him and other minis I'm still working on, I was able to come up with a colour scheme that seemed to just... "click" and work for him.
    • By aku-chan
      Presenting Brokk Grungsson, an important character in the Kharadron Overlords (steampunk, sky pirate dwarfs) faction in the game Warhammer: Age of Sigmar.

Had this one in the Cupboard of Unfinished Thingstm for a while, and I'm glad it's finally done.
      Bit disappointed with the base though. I wanted to give him a reason for wearing his blimp-suit, so I have him flying over a large pool lava, but I don't think it really works, it needs more texture or some rocks to break up all the yellow or something.

As always any comments or criticisms are warmly received. 
    • By Arkadiusz.M
      Hello, this time I wanted to share painted miniature, after almost 10 years i got back to painting :D 
      I hope you like it!

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/831472366/corvus-corax-miniatures-onwards?ref=hero_thanks

Corvus Corax Miniatures is a small hobby project created in 2013. Since then, I have had three projects successfully funded on Kickstarter and all have been fully delivered on time without any delays. The feedback from the backers have only been positive.

The Funding Goal is for 50,000 SEK (Swedish Crown) which equals aprox. $5,700, €4,800 or £4,300 (exchange rates may vary, please check your current ones).

The goal of this project is to attempt to raise funds for the production of totally 12 miniatures; six for the Clansmen of Caer Loch and six for the Sons of Yetl Black. The miniatures will be cast in high quality, non-toxic, resin. The scale of the miniatures are 35 mm (measuring to the eyes in a standing, straight pose, although some characters can be slightly larger because they are supposed to be large characters).

The miniatures have already been sculpted and pre-production resin casts have been completed and approved for final production if the funding is reached. A successful project here will help me be able to pay for the resin casting, and it will help me to kickstart the miniature range and expand it even further!

you can also pick up stuff from the previous project

size/scale comparisons

Typically, the estimated shipping cost break down as following (however, note that this is a rough estimation, and that the shipping cost will be based on the weight of each package, which might differ depending on which miniatures and how many you choose to select). The following is only ESTIMATED and does not mean that it is final.
      •1-4 miniatures: €5
      •5-12 miniatures: €10
      •13+ miniatures: €15

This does NOT include tracking. If you want to include tracking (recommended letter) that will cost an extra €10 in addition to the shipping cost (for example, the estimated shipping cost for 12 miniatures with tracking would end up at €20). The insurance for recommended letter is at max value of 2,000 SEK.

I've backed and got the minis from all of the previous project and have been delighted with them
    • By Guildenstern
      This is an ork Deffdread - basically an armoured type mech piloted by a grot (or three? always was fuzzy on the number). His base is still WIP but he's done enough to show off his paint job =D HE JUST WANTS HUGS!!!

• Who's Online   29 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)