Sharkbelly

Wreckage Counters

I'm making some wreckage counters for ship battles. I have a scenario in mind where the heroes have to pick up survivors from a shipwreck. There may or may not be a giant squid involved...

Wreckage%20Counters%201_zps2hiexqoc.jpg

• Like 13

Awesome, good water effect!

Hmm, you could make a small token like this with a Sharkfin sticking out...

Dadum...dadum... dadum....

And of course you will need a Kraken!

• Like 3

I have a giant octopus that's modeled to be on the top of the water. As well as the Reapern Bones kraken. No shark fins yet, though. That's a great idea.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sharkbelly said:

I have a giant octopus that's modeled to be on the top of the water. As well as the Reapern Bones kraken. No shark fins yet, though. That's a great idea.

I'm helping!  :upside:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

Shouldn't be to hard to sculpt a few on a few bases with GS and then add the flotsam and water effect,,,,

• Like 1

True enough! I'll have to get on that. Meanwhile, I finished painting the wreckage counters.

Wreckage%20Counters%202_zpsvsiordlw.jpg

The barrels are from Renedra. I used two for the counters, and then assembled and painted the rest, too.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Arc 724
      So I did a thing! 

Latching onto other post of similar title - most notable being @Willen's "Homemade Paint Shaker" - I wanted to create one myself. The objective was to be fast, easy and easy to manage while being multi-functional (it can still be used as a jigsaw).

I caught the jigsaw on sale for $10 at Harbor Freight... The Aluminum piece is a sample for some of our material we use here at work. I've seen similar shaped piece at Home Depot. You would have to cut them down and drill the holes for it. I use it cause it was free. The great thing about this is the paint bottle rests against the bolt at the bottom, the Velcro holds it in place horizontally and the rubber band holds it in place vertically. Now I will warn you it is not silent... but well worth it. I did a test on a paint i had not used in over a year: 1-Right out of the bottle, 2-Hand shaken, 3-Jigsaw Shaken. And I can tell you what, that jigsaw shaken bottle was FAR better than I thought it ever was. I mean I really shake them well when i do it with my hands but not nearly as well as that Jigsaw.

Hope this helps someone. Please feel free to ask question or anything. If you have any other homemade paint shaker links feel free to post them in here too so we keep them all connected.  

Removed the hardware (shiny bits) from the jig saw. Using the an allen wrench. Bent the guide rail up and out of the way. It's useless anyway for the jigsaw. I would cut it off if I had the tool. Took Angled aluminum with pre-drilled holes and screw in in place over the existing blade clamp on the jigsaw. ON TOP not under where the blade clamps in. Adhesive Velcro: Cut a length and doubled it over leaving one end ope to stick to the aluminum piece.  Cut Velcro section (opposing side) and stuck to aluminum piece Placed bottle onto new apparatus & used rubber band to secure vertical movement. (rubber band doubles as wire management when not in use)  

• By ultrasquid
      At my friendly national chain home improvement store I found they sell mismixed paint colors at deep discounts. There I bought a 8 oz.(237 ml) sample pot of premium interior/exterior flat "paint and primer in one" for 50 cents. So I'm experimenting with using it as a primer for Bones. I will report on how it goes. In the meantime, feel free to discuss your budget alternatives.
    • By Pingo
      http://makezine.com/2017/05/02/outfitting-a-dd-beholder-with-led-eyes/

I ran across this "Make:" article in which Bob Richens explains how to mount LEDs in Reaper's Bones Eye Beast, SKU 77043, including teeny-tiny ones in the ends of the tentacles.   It looks pretty cool!
    • By Ludo
      While fixing up the hobby room for the fiancee we came across the age old problem of Not Enough Places to Put Things. She likes to do acrylic canvas painting and I like to use the craft paints for terrain so we have a bit. We both like seeing what colors we have available as we work on a project and I wanted something that wouldn't clutter the work table or take up valuable shelf space. We've got several big windows in the room and while the natural light is great, the limit the amount of shelves we can have. I opped to try and make use of some of the dead space created by the window frames.

1-1/2" standard Schedule 40 PVC pipe fits the standard 2oz bottles well. 

I used a band saw to cut the pieces quickly. I used a fence to make sure all the pieces came out the same length. (marking it out >150 times would have been a pain)

While quick, my saw left some debris. A quick twist with some 60 grit sandpaper took it right off and put a very slight bevel on the edge. 

All sanded and ready to go. Did a quick test fit with a bottle of paint and tried a few layout options. 

My goal was to fill the trim board on either side of the windows with storage tubes. Since we may sell the house some day I didn't want to mount the tubes direct to the trim. I opted to attach the tubes together, letting most of the weight sit on the table and then use a small metal bracket in the top side of the window trim which is often unpainted because nobody looks up there.

I wanted something that I could pop off easily if I got sloppy with with the glue so I laid everything out on a piece of concrete board siding. It had the added featured of it was flat, had a straight edge I could line the pieces up on and I could draw out my trim dimensions so I knew what area I had to fill.

I used the same glue that is used to glue the pipe together for plumbing. The stuff I get for work happens to be grey. You get what you pay for when it comes to glue so don't scrimp.Just don't get the stuff that is for wet or submerged pipe. It will literally push your parts around. Since I knew we were going to paint the whole thing I didn't care what color I had or if the printing on the pipe was visible.

I made marks with a sharpie to show where the pieces touched so I'd know where to apply the glue once I picked it up. It also made sure I had the glue covered portion in the right spot when I put it in place. 

Got all my ducks lined up, Just gotta let it dry over night. I could actually pick it up after an hour but I wanted to give it plenty of time to fully set up.

I ended up adding one more row after this picture to get it close to the top of the window trim. After everything was painted I screwed a small strip of metal to the top to let me screw it to the trim.

If you look at the top of the center organizer, you can see the metal bracket. It is bent in an L shape so the screw is in the top of the trim, not the front. The larger units are done with 4" drain pipe (Thinner wall=cheaper per foot) One coat of glue made them stick together but I had to do several more coats to get some structural rigidity. I just used standard pray paint to cover them. 

• By lexomatic
      I will be building 2 custom 12*9*1 foam storage trays for my metal minis, using foam, felt, foamcore.
      Yesterday I applied felt to the first side of the foamcore base. Today I will apply felt to the other side. This will give a sturdy base and something soft for the minis to rest on. Second side is so that I can layer them and worry less about scratching.
      Total cost materials glue, 5$ foam, 1$ felt, 1$ foamcore.
      Bonus, I have trays that will fit in my fancy Muji storage boxes.
      Photos later.
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)