Sign in to follow this  
MojoBob

Blue Wizard

He looks awesome! I really like the cloudy aspect of the blue highlights on its clothes. The color of the feather is adding a nice contrasting touch.

Nicely done! I like how vivid the blue is, and the green feather really pops :)

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

The blue robes are amazing, the feather is indeed a great contrast!

But you also painted all those little books, the candle superb!

Oh my word! I cant take my eyes off the robes! How did you get that velvety look?! The contrast of the feather and the oldness of the books.. Such attention to detail is rare. Awesome mini, very well done!

2 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Oh my word! I cant take my eyes off the robes! How did you get that velvety look?!

It's just a couple of coats of a vallejo blue wash over a cerulean blue base coat. I kind of "puddled" the wash on, rather than brushing it out smoothly, so that it gave the kind of mottled effect. Then I reinforced various lines and creases with dark blue ink. Easy-peasy.

Edited by MojoBob
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MojoBob said:

It's just a couple of coats of a vallejo blue wash over a cerulean blue base coat. I kind of "puddled" the wash on, rather than brushing it out smoothly, so that it gave the kind of mottled effect. Then I reinforced various lines and creases with dark blue ink. Easy-peasy.

It doesn't always have to be difficult, but the result is stunning!

So thx for sharing!

5 minutes ago, MojoBob said:

Easy-peasy indeed ^_^ Thanks for sharing.. It does sound easy but almost everything is "easy" to a master, no? :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pochi
      I had paint day today and wanted to paint something I could finish pretty quickly since I will be leaving for vacation. I chose the mouseling sorcerer. Had some fun with him! Here is Dumble Doormouse!

• By NyarlaBcn
      I have all the 25th anniversary minis and now it's Darius turn.
      It's one of my favourites; and while frecuently the "official" painting scheme wasn't for me, because many of them were too colorful (let's say Ametrine or Dain) and I painted them somber, I like the scheme on Darius. 
      The issue is... I never tried to replicate such an ambitious pattern: that blue mosaic. I'm not great with freehands, and to cover his entire clothing with it looks almost scary. So I decided to start the project sharing it here. 

First things first, I primed Darius Black. On second thoughts I should probably used white primer, but well, it's done now... Then based him. White putty to fit his base to the plastic base. 

Then I decided to try a few colors, and to do that I used another mini I'm not really interested on right now. As you can see on the pic, I tried three different blues for the base color. They all look darker than they should because before I start with the mosaic I will highlight them: the idea is choose one, paint the entire clothing with highlights. I'm still not sure which one. I'm inclined to the one I'm pointing with the brush; but on photo it looks slightly different... I will try other mixes to see if I can find something a bit more turquoise. Now on photo I think that there is too much contrast between the two blues; and when I'm working with Darius, the pattern will be also more neat, small and precise. Now it's a bit rough because it's just all about color. 
      I'm also undecided about the mosaic. I will highlight it too, once applied. I'm using a pale blue, which will be paler when I highlight it. 

Any advice so welcomed because that's totally new to me... 

• By jonaas33
      Painted this fig last night for an upcoming adventure.  I've needed a generic evil wizard for a while now. I found this guy at my local game store and decided he would be perfect.

I did have some grand plans with his spell book that didn't turn out.  I was planning on making script on one page that looked like it was glowing starting at the top left, and continuing until about the middle of the page as if the words were magically glowing as he cast a spell. The results ended up looking like the script was squiggly lines with green slime spilled on them.  Other than that, I'm really happy with how he turned out.  Advice and critiques welcome as always! Thanks in advance!

• By Sophie was taken
      Sometimes you eat the paint, and sometimes the paint eats you. This one is closer to the latter. Here’s Jolie the blue-themed Scribe:

I just wanted to relax and have some fun with this mini, and try out some paints for the first time. So I started out basecoating her robes in Frosty Blue from the holiday set, and it looked pretty good. Used some Rosy Skin and Scholar Flesh on her skin, and it looked pretty good. Unboxed the blond hair triad and laid down the mid tone and it looked pretty good, which was when it became apparent I was painting Disney’s Cinderella. 

That could not stand, so I threw some gray in front and gave her a pink sash, which was originally a dark blue then an ill-advised red. I’m honestly pleased at how those parts turned out, especially the highlights in front.

The rest of the model was a series of small disasters in shadow and highlights, and at some point I decided it was as good as it was going to get, tossed some Palomino Gold on the fancy bits, and put an end to the struggle. Though I did take the opportunity to try painting sheer clothing, not sure if it works (gloved forearm):

C&C appreciated.
    • By EldritchEladrin
      This year is the year of giving miniatures as birthday gifts to the friends I game with. One of these fine fellows--my oldest and dearest friend--has a birthday in a couple weeks. He loves magic-users and is obsessed with Harry Potter, so I painted up a 25th anniversary Domur as a classic "Gandalf the Grey" style wizard for his present:

Tried to layer the flames to give some interesting and pleasing texture. Let me know how I did.

Also, given his love for all things Potter, I did my best to modify Domur's spellbook to a more familiar book cover...

I'm actually surprised I could keep the brush steady enough for it to come across at all similar, to be honest.
  • Who's Online   41 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)